Dose anyone, not like stainless steel frets ? Why would you buy non-stainless?

Cagey said:
But, you can use some 3M polishing papers to get them even nicer if you'd like.

I have to say those 3m papers are some of the most handy things I have in the shop. The rougher green variety in particular I bought 50 in bulk as I use those the most, but I use them all to some degree. They're especially good damp for the later stages of guitar finishes if you tend to go light on lacquer and want to be extra careful.

They're also about perfect for cleaning and polishing frets. It's more work but they're not that abrasive. Once that's done some dremel polishing and Mothers compound and your frets are about as good as anybody's, but that's not an essential step.

Razor is a fine first step, although for what's described I'll wrap the outsides with a few passes of masking tape just in case. For the higher frets I'll mask off all but a small bit to one side of the razor. It's overkill but experience has made me extra cautious with tools and sharp things around guitar parts, at least until the project is complete. At which time of course I'll immediately starting treating it about as gently as I do my vacuum cleaner.

Back