Dose anyone, not like stainless steel frets ? Why would you buy non-stainless?

I ran across an article saying SS cost more in the long run, because it eats strings. They amortized out string wear and cost of refret and said it costs more in strings than the fret life you'll get.

Interesting, but not enough to convince me

swarfrat said:
I ran across an article saying SS cost more in the long run, because it eats strings. They amortized out string wear and cost of refret and said it costs more in strings than the fret life you'll get.

Most certainly true; I'll still take SS frets too. Re-fretting isn't exactly a non-invasive repair for a neck with a hard finish on it.

swarfrat said:

Yeah, I say bullony.  My string changes have not become any more frequent with SS, and there really isn't any more friction during string bends.

If there is any difference to string wear it must be negligible. I cannot say I have noticed it.

So perhaps baloney again...

I have Warmoth necks with both SS and regular nickel frets.
While I don't dislike the SS per se, I nowadays order regular frets because of two things.
One - I find that I prefer the 6130 type and Warmoth doesn't offer these in SS (perhaps not available?) and
two - I like how the strings level any final uneveness in my nickel frets just by playing them. In other words - the strings creates the lower action automatically after some months of playing by grinding off the small bumps that might be left after a fret levelling. Or uneveness that happens when the neck moves because of humidity changes.
That doesn't happen with SS frets. If there's the least uneveness causing some buzzing, it will stay so no matter how much I play.

swarfrat said:

If you come across that article again, I'd appreciate a link to it. Sounds like horsefeathers to me, too.

Logrinn said:
While I don't dislike the SS per se, I nowadays order regular frets because of two things.
One - I find that I prefer the 6130 type and Warmoth doesn't offer these in SS (perhaps not available?) and
two - I like how the strings level any final uneveness in my nickel frets just by playing them. In other words - the strings creates the lower action automatically after some months of playing by grinding off the small bumps that might be left after a fret levelling. Or uneveness that happens when the neck moves because of humidity changes.
That doesn't happen with SS frets. If there's the least uneveness causing some buzzing, it will stay so no matter how much I play.
That just sounds absurd.

@Logrinn, next time you want a neck with SS frets contact me and I can do the fretwork for you as we are both in Europe.

Cagey said:
swarfrat said:

If you come across that article again, I'd appreciate a link to it. Sounds like horsefeathers to me, too.

Found it. Yeah, I just saw the search engine blurb. He got pretty well trounced even on the HC thread

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forums/topic/1124742-stainless-steel-frets-arent-worth-it/

stratamania said:
@Logrinn, next time you want a neck with SS frets contact me and I can do the fretwork for you as we are both in Europe.

Thanks, Stratamania, I will  :icon_thumright:

Street Avenger said:
Logrinn said:
That just sounds absurd.

Yes, I know. I would like to try some SS6130’s, but, alas, no such luck ...

And here I was thinking someone was going to post a link to a nice polishing thread that I could dig into.  Warmoth definitely applied satin nitro right over my SS 6150s and there'll be no getting around this job.  I usually mask my fretboard and hit it with 0000 steel wool before buffing with Music Nomad Frine.  Using the guards the whole time. For my new neck I plan on doing the same after first getting the satin nitro off the frets with 600 grit.  Someone please stop me if I'm going down a dangerous path.

I first learned about biscuits in Afghanistan when I traded rations with some French Soldiers.  I was surprised that they were cookies, because it translated to "crackers" on the rations box.  Needless to say it was weird when I tried it with the Fondue. Pretty sure I was doing it wrong, but it beat the heck out of MREs.  Made a real good pairing with my Marlboro Smooths.

Fast forward to my 6 years in Italy, Biscotti come in many shapes and sizes.  I personally feel we are just scratching the surface when it comes to the "scotti."  I'll ask my Italian wife when I get home, she always has some rigid law that one must apply to snacks.  I get lots of entertainment with the in-laws when I play the dumb American that eats everything wrong.  Maybe I'll pair some high ended Italian red with some rolled gold pretzels while slaving away on my new neck, covered in tattoos, wearing crocs - just reveling in the fact that despite sampling numerous cultures I remain as unrefined as my sloppy pentatonic runs.

I'm not in a good place to write a whole treatise on the subject, but few rules of thumb I use with neck (particularly fret) work and a brief sequence of operation. First, no matter how big a pain in the shorts, get yourself some good scissors and a roll of 3/4" or 1" wide masking tape - then tape off the neck. You don't have to do the back, just the fretboard, leaving the frets exposed. 

Then, with a fresh single-edge razor held at an oblique angle (about 70° ) and at 90° to the neck, you can just shave a strip of finish off the fret, as if you were peeling a carrot. Usually takes 3 passes per fret, but let experience be your guide.

That will get you probably about 96.32% clean pretty quick, with no scratches. After than, it's just a matter of knocking off the little that's left, which you probably won't notice even if you just try to play it off. But, you can use some 3M polishing papers to get them even nicer if you'd like. I stay away from steel wool - don't even have any in the house - but whatever you use, be sure to abrade/polish from side to side on the frets - not parallel to the neck (from nut to heel).

While it's still taped up, some jeweler's rouge and a felt dremel wheel or small wad of cotton can be used for the final polish.

Unbind it, set the truss, apologize for all the abuse, then install it and string it up.

You may find you still have some buzzes here and there, but that is going to depend largely on the setup and how well you've levelled/dressed the frets.

@Cagey. This grasshopper was already taped up before even reading this. Breaking out the razor. Kawabunga it is.

FWI Bridge is in and she’s pretty. Went with black. The contrast is really something.

Back