Dose anyone, not like stainless steel frets ? Why would you buy non-stainless?

BroccoliRob said:
Street Avenger said:
Your fingers aren't supposed to touch the frets when you play the guitar, so if you're feeling the frets, you're playing wrong.
I notice no difference in "feel" with SS frets versus Nickle.

yo i think they're talkin bout the feel of the string against the fret. Like when doing bends or some wicked vibrato. I feel noticeable diff in that regard but no diff in terms of sound. i'm #teamstainless all da way.

Speaking of preferences Does anyone know where to buy scuits or monoscuits? I can find Biscuits and Triscuits but not the original, which i prefer. I don't need complicated scuits.

Dude, you're a nut, and I mean that as a compliment, not an insult.
:laughing11:

I have, er, 5 telecasters and one 12 string, all in rotation.  All of them have significant fret wear, with the exception of the two with stainless frets which have no wear whatsoever.  Yep, I'm even wearing down the 12 string.

Not sure if I press hard or just play a lot, but I actually wore out a guitar once:  A Rick 620 that had to be re-fretted three times.  After the third time it lost a lot of zing and sustain - the fretboard was just not holding the frets properly any more.

I'm with `scuits:  team #stainless!

Five telecasters? Wow.

I don't gig. I was playing a song or two out every few weeks before our church finally shut down. Brand new church now, haven't got into the rotation yet.

IOW - I don't really need backup guitars. For me, usually a new guitar is something different. But once in a while I think it would be cool to have a duplicate. I don't know why. Maybe just an irresistible urge to rationalize another guitar. Alternate tunings yeah!

swarfrat said:
Your jest is not far off the mark. Biscuit's etymology comes from french for "twice baked".  So just cook them once. Or is that half baked? I'm confused

Fascinatin'! so where do i buy monoscuits, then? i asked the guy at trader's Joe but he wasn't sure

I think it has to do with the difference between American (and as it turns out Scottish) biscuits, and British biscuits which are really like cookies. I can see the connection between hard cookies and twice baked bread.

Mayfly said:
I have, er, 5 telecasters and one 12 string, all in rotation.  All of them have significant fret wear, with the exception of the two with stainless frets which have no wear whatsoever.  Yep, I'm even wearing down the 12 string.

Not sure if I press hard or just play a lot, but I actually wore out a guitar once:  A Rick 620 that had to be re-fretted three times.  After the third time it lost a lot of zing and sustain - the fretboard was just not holding the frets properly any more.

I'm with `scuits:  team #stainless!

Thank you for your post that was very informative. I'm going to chalk this up in the Stainless never wear out column.

Sorry to hear about the Rickenbacker. Was replacing the actual fret board not an option?
Bye

NutBehindTheGuitar said:
Sorry to hear about the Rickenbacker. Was replacing the actual fret board not an option?
Bye

I'm sure it could have been done, but at the time there was no one local that I trusted to do the work.  I sold it for more than I paid, switched to a warmoth telecaster, and never looked back.

Mayfly said:
NutBehindTheGuitar said:
Bye

I'm sure it could have been done, but at the time there was no one local that I trusted to do the work.  I sold it for more than I paid, switched to a warmoth telecaster, and never looked back.

It's funny, I also sold my 360 for more than I paid for it when it badly needed a refret. The thick lacquered fretboard just made refretting a hassle (I hated the lacquered board and the bridge design any). It was pretty evident the original owner and myself were big into cowboy chords.

Of the other two guitars that had refrets, my '69 Goldtop went 33 years (15 with me) before it was refretted, and my '79 Strat was refretted with medium jumbos before I bought it 20 years ago and is still going strong (but desperately needs a level/crown when my garage/toolshop warms up).

Rica are weird. I can appreciate that they have filled iconic roles but...the best way to experience a ric is through someone else's hands. I had an Ibby 4001 lawsuit bass and ... Ick. I was glad to be rid of it (and the new owner was also glad)

I don't like SS fret wire because it's too hard on my cutting tools and it takes forever to file the fret ends.  I prefer the Jescar EVO gold frets because they are ALMOST as durable as SS and they look cool.  That's the most important thing about playing and working on guitars, looking cool.

swarfrat said:
I think it has to do with the difference between American (and as it turns out Scottish) biscuits, and British biscuits which are really like cookies. I can see the connection between hard cookies and twice baked bread.

so cookies = monoscuits

what a mind blow!

I love that they polish up really slick and stay that way, but between rotating through guitars every 5-6 years, having a lighter touch, and not logging in a lot of playing time - fret wear isn't really an issue for me. 

If I order a new Warmoth neck, it will definitely have stainless steel frets. 

If I see a funky old used guitar I want to use as a #2 or #3 guitar for a few years, I'm going to buy it regardless what the frets are made of. 

I totally understand concerns re. tool wear and level/crowning etc.  From what I hear, it's ideal to be properly tooled up for them.  Because they're so much harder, they're more forgiving if you're new to fretwork, but if your tools and skill set belong to nickel...

BroccoliRob said:
swarfrat said:

so cookies = monoscuits

what a mind blow!

Accept a British biscuit is a biscuit and is not like a cookie. And Scotland is part of Britain as is England and Wales.

stratamania said:
BroccoliRob said:
swarfrat said:

so cookies = monoscuits

what a mind blow!

Accept a British biscuit is a biscuit and is not like a cookie. And Scotland is part of Britain as is England and Wales.

So cookies =/= monoscuits? Now I'm more confused and hungry than ever  :sad: how can a man get a once baked scuit here in the greater st Louis area?

rick2 said:
Cookies = little cakes

My dude, cupcakes are mini cakes. and to a lesser extent muffins. but cookies? C'mon. Thats a diff'rent story

BroccoliRob said:
So cookies =/= monoscuits? Now I'm more confused and hungry than ever  :sad: how can a man get a once baked scuit here in the greater st Louis area?

I think you're gonna have to roll your own there...

Mayfly said:
BroccoliRob said:

I guess Canadians are rolling thier own (bi)scuits now  :icon_scratch:

stratamania said:
Mayfly said:
BroccoliRob said:

I guess Canadians are rolling thier own (bi)scuits now  :icon_scratch:

we've been doing that since Trudeau got elected.

Back