Day jobs?

taez555 said:
I went to music school(berklee) and actually got my degree in music production and engineering, so obviously.....  since graduating I spend 2 years bartending followed by the past 5 1/2 working in accounting for a major hotel chain.

Apparently music doesn't pay the mortgage (or pay for warmoth stuff) as well as a regular 9-5 does. :)

erik
I remember reading an interview with Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and he said that starting out he'd rather work at a dock or someplace and be able to afford his gear than try and gig full time and not have anything! 

I went to UW Eau Claire for Marketing, then couldn't find a job, so I got a CDL and drove semi truck for a year, now I do telephone sales, so that's why I can be online all day! :headbang:

I have been working for a large software reseller for a long time, most of the time as the manager of 1 or more regional inside sales teams.
Since early this year I have been the manager of the Process & Quality Control team..
Before that, I have mostly been in Retail and Sales

I always hated large evil corporations and now I am working for one :( very sad

Ok, I don't mean to change the topic, but I have a question that I always wanted to ask for all of you with restaurant experience..:
How common is the spitting in food for difficult customers?
I think that I am always really friendly to restaurant staff, but I do often ask to 'customize' my food..(just like my guitars ;)) as in per example swapping out sides, leaving off lettuce, etc.. 
Does that qualify me as a difficult customer and have I consumed more spit than the average customer?

m4rk0 said:
Ok, I don't mean to change the topic, but I have a question that I always wanted to ask for all of you with restaurant experience..:
How common is the spitting in food for difficult customers?
I think that I am always really friendly to restaurant staff, but I do often ask to 'customize' my food..(just like my guitars ;)) as in per example swapping out sides, leaving off lettuce, etc..   
Does that qualify me as a difficult customer and have I consumed more spit than the average customer?

I worked in food service in different places for 7 years back in the 70's, that thought has never crossed my mind, or even been mentioned by any single person I've ever worked with.

Here in Brazil, everybody I know who worked in restaurants said things WORSTER than only spit on the food :tard:
Be nice with your attendent  :icon_biggrin:

In my bartending days, only once did I ever see someone I work with spit in someone's drink.    With good cause though......

Our "owner", this horible bitch of a women (who I actually heard was indicted for tax fraud or something years later), was bossing my manager around one day.  She was a total bitch as usual, and demanded a cup of tea from him while she was sitting in our bar.  So... he brewed it up, then right before he brought it over to her, knelt down behind the bar and proceeded to hock up this huge amount of spit right into the tea cup.

:)

and that's it.  never seen it happen again.

erik

I'm a professional guitarist from 5PM-Midnight Mon-Fri & all day Sat & Sun  :headbang1:, but that doesn't provide a steady paycheck so I do accounting on the side for a credit union from 8AM-5PM Mon-Fri.

:rock-on:

I've been in restaraunts since I was fifteen, with a short stint installing heating and air conditioning systems,  I do not tolerate this kind of behavior anywhere near me, but I have heard stories that would turn your stomach.  Usually the quality of the establishment has a direct correlation to the amount of naughty stuff that goes on.  So eat in good restaraunts and be nice to the staff, and No Problemo!

Interior and exterior wall color modifier's assistant (painter's GoFer go fer this go fer that, this coffee is cold ect ect....)

Currently: First Rank Nothing Master.  ow the joys of being a man-child

I plan on a job in the accounting field, I'm good with numbers, accounting comes easy to me, and I hear it pays good.
Can any of you accountants fill me in on the daily office horrors, is it as bad as I think (dull, cubicles, "Office Space", evil seal clubbing CEOs)?

SchmoopY said:
Interior and exterior wall color modifier's assistant (painter's GoFer go fer this go fer that, this coffee is cold ect ect....)

I plan on a job in the accounting field, I'm good with numbers, accounting comes easy to me, and I hear it pays good.
Can any of you accountants fill me in on the daily office horrors, is it as bad as I think (dull, cubicles, "Office Space", evil seal clubbing CEOs)?

I work in accounting so let me just say this: DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T DO IT!!! GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!.
If you want me to elaborate, I'll elaborate, but it just fudging* sucks.

*"fricking" was put in place by Warmoth as a euphemism over the word I really wanted to use.

guitlouie said:
I've been in restaraunts since I was fifteen, with a short stint installing heating and air conditioning systems,  I do not tolerate this kind of behavior anywhere near me, but I have heard stories that would turn your stomach.  Usually the quality of the establishment has a direct correlation to the amount of naughty stuff that goes on.  So eat in good restaraunts and be nice to the staff, and No Problemo!

Yes! I agree...

SchmoopY said:

If you like numbers than go for it. Lots of firms need em and the pay is good. I have lots of friends who work in that field (accountancy)and only one hated it to the core....but he's unemployed now...oh and recently got arrested in Las Vegas on holiday. Sweet!

SchmoopY said:

if you are good with numbers you will probably not mind working with them. Working in an office is much more entertaining than I expected it to be! a lot of interesting personalities in a small space!

guitlouie said:

Nice! one of the things I heard about recently is that some waiteresses in the Dallas area carry a type of Eyedrops with them that they can drop in drinks of difficult customers. apparently it causes violent diarhoea within 30 minutes!

Yeah, most eyedrops will do that if ingested, trouble with that is people assume it to be food poisoning, a good way to get your establishment investigated by the health department.  I have always been a believer in the "what comes around goes around" maxim, I'd rather kill difficult customers with kindness, the more difficult they get, the nicer I get, that way I become above reproach when it's time to sit down with the old boss man and talk about why I am an asset rather than a liability to his business.

jalbertochavez said:
[I work in accounting so let me just say this: DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T DO IT!!! GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!.
If you want me to elaborate, I'll elaborate, but it just fricking* sucks.

*"fricking" was put in place by Warmoth as a euphemism over the word I really wanted to use.

do tell, I like the fact that it is easy for me, and it can pay good, but please elaborate, so i don't screw my self over in 5 years. (4 years of collage, and loans, for something i might not want to do.)

Schmoo,  think about this, I work in construction, usually the jobs start in the fall, and we dont get the building warm and dry till it stops raining.
Then the sun comes out and it's 150 degrees in the building, we don't get the air conditioning running till the end, Fall again.

the building has no heat or AC or lights till it's almost done. We carry material from one end of the job to the other, up and down ladders all day, and always behind schedule, with some ass telling everyone to hurry up.

After 20 years, your boddy is broken, and you have become the ass, It might pay well, but I would love to see the same boring cubicle and people in a well lit heated work spot, you could even put pictures of your loved ones (Warmoth Basses) in your cubicle.

Theres a tradeoff to everything, good luck

Back