Dad's 56 B-day guitar (Pics) Now w/ video and SOUND

dbw said:
Cool.  Was it brush-on or spray lacquer?  Any reason you didn't use poly, other than you had the lacquer already?

it was spray on and the only factor to use that was I had it.

Well, we're waiting........what's taking so long man....... :icon_scratch:

Helloooooooooooo...........Kennnnnnnnnnn...... :redflag:

I had it completly set up and it was tits but being a new neck and all it settled and I had a couple of dead spots so I took it back and told the guy I was in no hurry to get it back so he adjusted it and plays a round with it for a few days to make sure it is all settled in. I will be picking it up on thursday. I figured I didn't need it until July anyway and I want it to be as perfect as possible. I would like for him to pull it out of the case and feel like a favorite pair of shoes. I am also letting the laquer have time to fully gas out. 24 hours after I was done with it, it felt very hard so I wraped it up loosely in a cloth to protect it. about an hour later I unwraped it and it had the pattern of the cloth embedded in it even though it wasn't even wrapped tight. I wet sanded it and hit it again and all was well. I will have pics up by friday.

Ken

ocguy106 said:
I had it completly set up and it was tits but being a new neck and all it settled and I had a couple of dead spots so I took it back and told the guy I was in no hurry to get it back so he adjusted it and plays a round with it for a few days to make sure it is all settled in. I will be picking it up on thursday. I figured I didn't need it until July anyway and I want it to be as perfect as possible. I would like for him to pull it out of the case and feel like a favorite pair of shoes. I am also letting the laquer have time to fully gas out. 24 hours after I was done with it, it felt very hard so I wraped it up loosely in a cloth to protect it. about an hour later I unwraped it and it had the pattern of the cloth embedded in it even though it wasn't even wrapped tight. I wet sanded it and hit it again and all was well. I will have pics up by friday.

Ken
:icon_thumright:....gotcha...

Well after travling all over the place... Guyana, Alaska, Philly, Arizona and just got back from Vegas I was finally able to put the finishing touches on my dad's guitar. It is completly set up and ready to go. It plays looks and sounds better then I could have hoped for. And just for you Doug new pics with your killer plate on it.

DSC00965.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

ocguy106 said:
Well after travling all over the place... Guyana, Alaska, Philly, Arizona and just got back from Vegas I was finally able to put the finishing touches on my dad's guitar. It is completly set up and ready to go. It plays looks and sounds better then I could have hoped for. And just for you Doug new pics with your killer plate on it.

DSC00965.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

:hello2:........ :headbang1:

Very cool guitar!  I'm assuming 07151952 is your Dad's birthdate.  To someone who plays, getting a custom guitar for a birthday would have to go down as one of the coolest gifts there could be.  And nice job on the plate, Doug.

DocNrock said:
Very cool guitar!  I'm assuming 07151952 is your Dad's birthdate.  To someone who plays, getting a custom guitar for a birthday would have to go down as one of the coolest gifts there could be.  And nice job on the plate, Doug.

Grrrrratsi.... :eek:ccasion14:

nathan a said:
Wow great matching between the neck and body! He's gonna love this so much...
Good observation Nathan.......Hahahaha, I made a funny...

But ya looks like they made the neck from the same piece of wood.......

Ho...ly...crap.  Beautiful.

Edit:  Make sure to post a video of your dad crying after you give it to him.

only 1 month to go...July 12th is when he gets it and I will be posting a video for all that have followed this thread.

Thanks to all for the help on building this. I was worried at first I would end up with a 2k dollar pile of crap but in the end this thing exceeded all my expectations in playabilty and sound. As a matter of fact we just went out and gigged this past weekend and my dad played his strat and then played a set with my 74 SG. The differnet scale lenght threw him off a bit and so he went back to the strat... He loved the tone so much of the SG though that he made the comment he wished he had a strat with humbuckers that sounded like an SG....I think he is gonna die over this one.

Ken

ocguy106 said:
only 1 month to go...July 12th is when he gets it and I will be posting a video for all that have followed this thread.

Thanks to all for the help on building this. I was worried at first I would end up with a 2k dollar pile of crap but in the end this thing exceeded all my expectations in playabilty and sound. As a matter of fact we just went out and gigged this past weekend and my dad played his strat and then played a set with my 74 SG. The differnet scale lenght threw him off a bit and so he went back to the strat... He loved the tone so much of the SG though that he made the comment he wished he had a strat with humbuckers that sounded like an SG....I think he is gonna die over this one.

Ken

Too cool.  I would imagine with the mahogany body and neck that this thing fits that billet just perfectly.

edit:  btw, gigging with your dad...priceless.

Orpheo said:
i couldn't find it, but what is the wiring? 2xvol 2x tone?

I was absolutly going for the SG sound and vibe. This fit the bill 100%.  The hollow body gave it a very warm full round tone. I LOVE IT. as for the wiring it is straight forward LP/SG 3 way wiring. I wanted to stick with the Strat style "look" so I went with 3 knobs....2 volumn and one concentric pot for 2 tone. I really can't rave enough about the tone of this thing. once I give it to my dad I will be posting sound clips.

Orpheo being that you are into LP's you shuld look into Skatterbrane pick-ups...these things are awesome they have sound clips on there web site.

Ken

Might want to pick one of these up.  http://www.wdmusic.com/5_way_switch_tip_gold_24953_prd1.htm

I tried and tried to find one while I was building the guitar. Now I am down to just this one part and every place I look has a min order. I have not found a single place to walk in and buy one. I will keep looking, I have one more month.

Ken

ocguy106 said:
Orpheo said:
i couldn't find it, but what is the wiring? 2xvol 2x tone?

I was absolutly going for the SG sound and vibe. This fit the bill 100%.  The hollow body gave it a very warm full round tone. I LOVE IT. as for the wiring it is straight forward LP/SG 3 way wiring. I wanted to stick with the Strat style "look" so I went with 3 knobs....2 volumn and one concentric pot for 2 tone. I really can't rave enough about the tone of this thing. once I give it to my dad I will be posting sound clips.

Orpheo being that you are into LP's you shuld look into Skatterbrane pick-ups...these things are awesome they have sound clips on there web site.

Ken

thanks for the tip! i'll look into it. i've used rio grande,seymour duncan, dimarzio, bareknuckle and GFS. I'm now ready to use something else :D

Back