Custom neckplate

DangerousR6 said:
GoDrex said:
I'd like one like this though I just did a quick thing in MSPaint. I don't know how to do it so the dimensions are all equal, symmetrical etc...  But that's the idea - just my initials
It would need to be like this.....
2361326241_6d92d57f8e_m.jpg

that's sweet :)

DiMitriR33 said:
DangerousR6 said:
dbw said:
Could you do very fine details like this?

I can give you a vector version in svg, pdf, or eps.

I'm afraid not, that's to fine a detail. To many little radius', I'd have to go thru each and every one and make sure the tool could cut each one. And that's way to time consuming, and I'm not afforded that much time. Sorry...

DangerousR6 i beleive the word is radii

and DBW yeah a design like that would be better etched onto a plate not cut into it, there are engraving tools that will cut very fine lines though.

look for a store that does custom engravings, they have cnc engravers that have a pointed diamond bit, the machines take vector drawings too. a CNC mill takes G-code which tells the machine where to cut. complex shapes are aproximated by [size=10pt]breaking it down into short lines and arcs(very short)[/size] so you need to run it through a cad/cam program first to write the G-code. most cad/cam will import dxf, iges, and other common CAD formats, so you'd need a file converter that goes from vector to cad format, ive use stuff like this for doing plaques and stuff. some newer software has art features that can take common image files though. it depends on what you work with.

Yes DiMitri you are correct it's radii,  it was a typo...

And as to the highlighted portion, you are correct in a way. The machine breaks down arcs into short lines, it doesn't really cut a tru arc or radius. And the machines we have are Conversational programming so I don't have to write G-code...It's too slow conversational is faster, however on super complpex programs I use a Cad/Cam program to draw what I want to cut and post it to a floppy, load into machine and let it translate into NC...

DangerousR6 said:
DiMitriR33 said:
DangerousR6 said:
dbw said:

I'm afraid not, that's to fine a detail. To many little radius', I'd have to go thru each and every one and make sure the tool could cut each one. And that's way to time consuming, and I'm not afforded that much time. Sorry...

and DBW yeah a design like that would be better etched onto a plate not cut into it, there are engraving tools that will cut very fine lines though.

look for a store that does custom engravings, they have cnc engravers that have a pointed diamond bit, the machines take vector drawings too. a CNC mill takes G-code which tells the machine where to cut. complex shapes are aproximated by [size=10pt]breaking it down into short lines and arcs(very short)[/size] so you need to run it through a cad/cam program first to write the G-code. most cad/cam will import dxf, iges, and other common CAD formats, so you'd need a file converter that goes from vector to cad format, ive use stuff like this for doing plaques and stuff. some newer software has art features that can take common image files though. it depends on what you work with.

And as to the highlighted portion, you are correct in a way. The machine breaks down arcs into short lines, it doesn't really cut a tru arc or radius. And the machines we have are Conversational programming so I don't have to write G-code...It's too slow conversational is faster, however on super complpex programs I use a Cad/Cam program to draw what I want to cut and post it to a floppy, load into machine and let it translate into NC...

the machine might not actually move in a TRU arc, but pretty damn close, it does however accept circular interpolation in the NC code though and that's all i meant. all the machines i've worked with have had basic controllers, so i'm not familiar with conversational programming.

looking at the response you're getting i wish i was in a place i could do some under the table work, i could make a fortune

DiMitriR33 said:
DangerousR6 said:
DiMitriR33 said:
DangerousR6 said:
dbw said:

the machine might not actually move in a TRU arc, but pretty damn close, it does however accept circular interpolation in the NC code though and that's all i meant. all the machines i've worked with have had basic controllers, so i'm not familiar with conversational programming.

looking at the response you're getting i wish i was in a place i could do some under the table work, i could make a fortune

Yip you are right there, we just got a new machine afew months back, a Hurco VM2, it'll cut a round hole within .0002". Conversational is basically just ploting points by numbers.
This is our new Hurco...
2367845442_8eb5ba4812.jpg

SkuttleFunk said:
you have e-mail ...

all the best,

R
Why yes I do have email....address is that what you ment, or that you sent me an email? Cause if you did I ain't got it...

Maybe he meant a PM.

But anyway, that plate you designed for Jim is KILLER! 

I think I'd need to get this OK'd by the W, too, but I'd love a neckplate with the Warmoth turtle on it...  I'm thinking the turtle with "DBW 1" underneath...

Gregg, would that be OK with you guys??

DangerousR6 said:
SkuttleFunk said:
you have e-mail ...

all the best,

R
Why yes I do have email....address is that what you ment, or that you sent me an email? Cause if you did I ain't got it...

hmmm ... I sent it to the address you have listed in you user profile ...

re-sending it via a PM

all the best,

R

dbw said:
Maybe he meant a PM.

I think I'd need to get this OK'd by the W, too, but I'd love a neckplate with the Warmoth turtle on it...  I'm thinking the turtle with "DBW 1" underneath...

[/quote
Might want to ask first.....IMO
I think gregg is MIA, I sent him a pm 2 days ago, and haven't heard a peep.....

dbw said:
Maybe he meant a PM.

That's very OK with us! 

DangerousR6, Can you do them in mass?

Hehe, I didn't want to put words in Warmoth's mouth but I suspected they might be interested in turtle neckplates.  DangerousR6, you're in business!!  Gregg, could you give us a high-quality B&W image of the turtle?

I was thinking of something simple like I saw one of our members suggest. The internal part of the W lowered by 1/16". 

Attachments

• W Plate.jpg
    W Plate.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 504
Gregg said:
dbw said:
Maybe he meant a PM.

That's very OK with us! 

DangerousR6, Can you do them in mass?
It might be possible, I'll have to do some checking into it. But I can't make any gaurantees....
How many do mean by "mass"?

Gregg said:
I was thinking of something simple like I saw one of our members suggest. The internal part of the W lowered by 1/16". 

I like the "W" idea, simple but classy......

Gregg said:

Buy lowered you mean machining out the center of the W?

DangerousR6 said:
Gregg said:

Buy lowered you mean machining out the center of the W?
Yes.

We're on the lookout for someone who can mass produce them in gold, chrome and black for on-going orders from us.

Back