Custom neckplate

The last one is awesome. To me, it looks like a german insignia. And with the small Fender logo in the middle it makes me think of a guitar made in Germany :icon_biggrin:

Logrinn said:
The last one is awesome. To me, it looks like a german insignia. And with the small Fender logo in the middle it makes me think of a guitar made in Germany :icon_biggrin:
It's suppose to be a family crest of the person it was made for, not sure of any ties to Germany. :icon_biggrin:

Just catching up with this thread having been away for a couple of years.

Are these available in gold plating, rather than the original brass ones I got, and could you make a neck plate a little thicker than normal?

Last Triumph said:

Are these available in gold plating, rather than the original brass ones I got, and could you make a neck plate a little thicker than normal?
Yes, I can do gold plates, but the ones I get are pre made, so the thickness isn't an option in that case.

DangerousR6 said:
Last Triumph said:

Yes, I can do gold plates, but the ones I get are pre made, so the thickness isn't an option in that case.

Ok, thanks - I ask as I've got an angled neck pocket and contoured heel so need some extra meat on the bone for a deep countersink to keep the screw heads from sticking out on one side of the hole.

You made a neck plate and truss rod cover for me originally, "Caramel Sky".

Last Triumph said:
DangerousR6 said:
Last Triumph said:

Ok, thanks - I ask as I've got an angled neck pocket and contoured heel so need some extra meat on the bone for a deep countersink to keep the screw heads from sticking out on one side of the hole.

You made a neck plate and truss rod cover for me originally, "Caramel Sky".
Ahhh yes, I remember those. Yes if I make my own plates, I can make them as thick or thin as I want. But there are some places out there that have thick plates that have been plated.

DangerousR6 said:
Some more...

David%20A%20plate%20N619_zpsgpd4lqb9.jpg

this is a killer design.  It seems like your ability to create finer details has grown.

The gold ones you have, what is the substrate material - i.e what would it look like in the machined areas?

Due to the 720 mod and contoured heel, my screw heads are proud on one side due to their angle and I can't countersink them any further without them cutting into the body - this is on the brass one you made for me.

I'm weighing up my options - I need gold and need thick so enable me to put a decent angled countersink in to keep the high side of the screw head flush.

Any thoughts?

Thick, gold and custom machined - a conundrum.

Most of those plates are brass, which is what will show through when engraved. I've had a good number of Doug's plates go through here and have always sorta liked that effect, but even if you don't it's hardly noticeable on the gold plates. But, if you wanted it honestly gold even in the engraved areas, you could have one made of thicker brass with the countersinks milled at an angle, then have it plated after the fact. It's not as expensive as you might imagine, as there's actually very little gold involved. That's why a lotta guys don't like gold hardware - the plating is so incredibly thin that just your skin with moderate handling it wears it off and things start looking ratty.

Last Triumph said:
The gold ones you have, what is the substrate material - i.e what would it look like in the machined areas?

Due to the 720 mod and contoured heel, my screw heads are proud on one side due to their angle and I can't countersink them any further without them cutting into the body - this is on the brass one you made for me.

I'm weighing up my options - I need gold and need thick so enable me to put a decent angled countersink in to keep the high side of the screw head flush.

Any thoughts?

The normal plates I make or even the pre-made plates I use are only .09 thick. I can make a thicker brass plate .125(1/8th) thick if you need, this would allow for a deeper countersink on one side that you require.

DangerousR6 said:
Last Triumph said:

Any thoughts?

The normal plates I make or even the pre-made plates I use are only .09 thick. I can make a thicker brass plate .125(1/8th) thick if you need, this would allow for a deeper countersink on one side that you require.

I think that will be the route we need to go - I'll need a replacement truss rod cover too.

I guess you'll need new artwork as I imagine you don't have the original stuff going back to 2012/3?

I'll get them nickle, then gold plated over here in the UK - unless you have a contact?

I didn't mention it at the time, but I neglected to tell you that I'm left handed, hence the script you put into my truss rod cover is upside down so I couldn't use it  :doh:

I don't have CAD facilities so what's best - a jpeg/png image for you to copy/scan?

Last Triumph said:
DangerousR6 said:
Last Triumph said:

Any thoughts?

I think that will be the route we need to go - I'll need a replacement truss rod cover too.

I guess you'll need new artwork as I imagine you don't have the original stuff going back to 2012/3?

I'll get them nickle, then gold plated over here in the UK - unless you have a contact?

I didn't mention it at the time, but I neglected to tell you that I'm left handed, hence the script you put into my truss rod cover is upside down so I couldn't use it  :doh:

I don't have CAD facilities so what's best - a jpeg/png image for you to copy/scan?
Not a problem, most likely I don't have the original from back then. That was before I had my own cnc machine, and I've also changed computers since then. A jpeg or png of a scan will work just fine.

Last Triumph said:
DangerousR6 said:
Last Triumph said:

Any thoughts?

I take that back, I got my machine in 2011, I'll take a look and see if I can find it...

DangerousR6 said:
Last Triumph said:
DangerousR6 said:
Last Triumph said:

Any thoughts?

I take that back, I got my machine in 2011, I'll take a look and see if I can find it...

Cool - don't cut antthing yet though - I might want to change the design on the neck plate a little. Let me know if you find them?

Got some new stuff... :icon_biggrin:
18882277_660790524121087_1062766090524885953_n.jpg

18839029_660790534121086_4260106925818824391_n.jpg

18813918_660790544121085_2520312352938187171_n.jpg

18920553_660790580787748_2677787652601681317_n.jpg

18814373_660790584121081_5106649640792747388_n.jpg

18813975_660790604121079_8998576638301408293_n.jpg

18835930_660790617454411_2867616374169623699_n.jpg

The aluminum square one is just a test, haven't done the real mccoy yet...

Back