Custom neckplate

shush said:
Hey DangerousR6,
Great work there  :headbang1: I just ordered my 1st build and need a neck plate in chrome (dont like the crappy blank ones) could you do me one with  ' Macca s/n181264' and if so how much ?
Cheers
Sean
Hey Sean how's it going? Ya I could do a plate with that on it, for custom plates it's $50.  Shoot me a pm if you're interested..

Doug

well i was talking 6al-4v, that is what we use in the aircraft world.

the trick is to cut it like it's aluminum, huge over steps, deep depth of cut and a thick chip, just at 1/10th the feed and speed, also climb milling helps the cutting edge dig into soft material that hasn't been work hardened by the flute before it.

of coarse not all of that really applies when you etch something. big thing is removing chips while you cut, fadals have a pretty week coolant pump and that is the biggest problem i've had on Ti.

and i don't know about your machine but fadals slowdown in the corners, they practically stop, unless you put it in G8 mode, where it doesn't monitor the position, just the feedback built into the servo controlers. if the table slows down and you cut too thin a chip it instantly work hardens and there goes the cutter. never use type of feed optimization, a thin chip in a corner is worse than driving the cutter through excessive material.

DiMitriR33 said:
well i was talking 6al-4v, that is what we use in the aircraft world.

the trick is to cut it like it's aluminum, huge over steps, deep depth of cut and a thick chip, just at 1/10th the feed and speed, also climb milling helps the cutting edge dig into soft material that hasn't been work hardened by the flute before it.

of coarse not all of that really applies when you etch something. big thing is removing chips while you cut, fadals have a pretty week coolant pump and that is the biggest problem i've had on Ti.

and i don't know about your machine but fadals slowdown in the corners, they practically stop, unless you put it in G8 mode, where it doesn't monitor the position, just the feedback built into the servo controlers. if the table slows down and you cut too thin a chip it instantly work hardens and there goes the cutter. never use type of feed optimization, a thin chip in a corner is worse than driving the cutter through excessive material.

6AL-4V is grade 5..... :eek:  Which is what I made the plates from...

The Hurco's we have do the same in the corners if programed conversational, but if I run NC off a floppy it stays at a constant feedrate throughout the contour. Be it 2D or 3D..I never use the auto calculate feeds & speeds.And our Hurco VM2 has no problem with coolant flush, it rivals a California mudslide....... :laughing7:

And it's not that I really have any problems maching it, because I don't. We don't stock any carbide cutters smaller than .0625" other than the lettering cutters that are .010" to do any fine detail work.... :dontknow:

i didn't mean to question your ability. i was just giving you shitee.

people seem to relate Ti to hard, and hard to small over steps, chip thickness, yada yada, and that is the worest thing you can do. low RPMs yes, low(ish) feed yes but only due to the low speeds. once you have the stuff figured out, and if you have sharp cutters it becomes alot easier than most would imagine.

DiMitriR33 said:
i didn't mean to question your ability. i was just giving you shiteee.

people seem to relate Ti to hard, and hard to small over steps, chip thickness, yada yada, and that is the worest thing you can do. low RPMs yes, low(ish) feed yes but only due to the low speeds. once you have the stuff figured out, and if you have sharp cutters it becomes alot easier than most would imagine.

:icon_biggrin:........I know you weren't. And I wasn't taking it that way.....no worries mate...... :icon_thumright:

Wow, I didn't know you guys could fix the freaking millennium falcon as well as build guitars! Cool!
It's always interesting to hear other people's shop talk, I'm sure mine sounds just as bizarre. Keep up the great engraving!

tfarny said:
Wow, I didn't know you guys could fix the freaking millennium falcon as well as build guitars! Cool!
It's always interesting to hear other people's shop talk, I'm sure mine sounds just as bizarre. Keep up the great engraving!

I'm working on a new version of the flux capacitor........

tfarny said:
Made me laugh! Very true though, I was reading their posts with the following expression  :icon_scratch:. Oh well, at least when the Empire catch's up to us we know the hyper drive will be ready!

juliancs said:
tfarny said:
Made me laugh! Very true though, I was reading their posts with the following expression  :icon_scratch:. Oh well, at least when the Empire catch's up to us we know the hyper drive will be ready!
I gots the Delorean all juiced up and ready to go..... :icon_thumright:

laugh.gif

dbw said:
Anyone want to talk about UNIX server administration?   :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure somebody does. :icon_scratch:

What's the best wood to build it with? :confused4:

hello
I'm french bass player, my bass is under construction since 1 month, it's long time but i 've to wait 1 month again....
I'm waiting for swamp ash JB 5 body with flamed mapple top, black red yellow burst, and a  all bidseye mapple neck....Brian eckels told me "it's gone for painting, 4 to 6 weeks waiting..."
I"ll send photos when it will be there....
however i've found a really cool place for neck plates, so check this :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/GOLD-VINTAGE-PIN-UP-PINUP-fits-neck-body-guitar-bass_W0QQitemZ360049155966QQihZ023QQcategoryZ85856QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i can say that is really good work  & quality.

:headbang:
ANTOINE

I've seen thier plates b4, what they do is called photo engraving. Nice plates, but the image is just barely cut into the plate and at different angles the images are not all visible...

Patrick from Davis said:
UNIX?  Some fun commands...
kill -9 pid

cd /pub
more beer

And of course the requisite comic...

sandwich.png

Patrick

Hehehe.

$ make sandwich
make: permission denied
$ sudo make sandwich
$

$ mv /home /pub; look; find; select; chattr; chattr; chattr && mv /pub /home || exit; touch; touch; grep; grep; open && finger; grep; strip; mount && fsck; fsck; more; more; more; less; fsck; fsck; sync; halt; exit

$ killall cat # meow

$ cat /dev/random > /dev/sda

$ rm -rf /etc && exit # hey boss, i quit :)

Back