aguyinaustintx said:
Waiting on some special order parts, you know, like strings.  :icon_scratch:
You have one. How many do you need? :icon_biggrin:

Rgand said:
Looks good!

aguyinaustintx said:
Waiting on some special order parts, you know, like strings.  :icon_scratch:
You have one. How many do you need? :icon_biggrin:

You can never have too many strings. Just ask Linda Manzer.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEJjuJJzhg[/youtube]

Here's a photograph of the control cavity. Seen from left to right is the Graphtech AcoustiPhonic preamp, stacked piezo/magnetic volume knob, pickup balance pot, no-load tone pot, illuminated preamp on/off push button, and stereo output jack. The piezo and magnetic circuits are completely independent, allowing for the magnetic pickups to operate without the battery. With a stereo cable, the tip goes to an electric guitar amp, the ring goes to a DI box or acoustic amp. A mono cable results in a traditional magnetic pickup-only circuit. With the pickup blend knob, there's no need for a selector switch. The blend knob has its traces cut so that only one of the pickups is in the circuit at each end of its travel.

minx-build-20.png

Cagey said:
Very nice piece! You should be both proud and pleased.

Thanks, I am! Hoping the Austin Markerspace is allowed to reopen soon, as plans for the next guitar are already underway . It's a headless version of this guitar, to be made by cutting the headstock off of a Warmoth neck.

Sounds cruel and unusual, and fascinating at the same time :laughing7:

I've toggled the idea around in my head a few times myself, just playing with my mental blocks. If you haven't, you might want to see if you can play a headless guitar. It's one of those things that are a lot different in real life than in your imagination. Whether it's the bit of a volute, or the necessary widening to accommodate tuners, there's something of a "touchstone" effect of having a tangible end to the fretboard that seems to be important. Perhaps it's something you can get accustomed to - I'm a firm believer in one's ability to get used to anything - but it's pretty weird.

Cagey said:
Sounds cruel and unusual, and fascinating at the same time :laughing7:

I've toggled the idea around in my head a few times myself, just playing with my mental blocks. If you haven't, you might want to see if you can play a headless guitar. It's one of those things that are a lot different in real life than in your imagination. Whether it's the bit of a volute, or the necessary widening to accommodate tuners, there's something of a "touchstone" effect of having a tangible end to the fretboard that seems to be important. Perhaps it's something you can get accustomed to - I'm a firm believer in one's ability to get used to anything - but it's pretty weird.

I've played a Stienberger headless guitar copy. You're right about the tangible end to the fretboard. My thinking is to leave a place for the inside of the thumb to rest against. Here's my Photoshop mockup of what I have in mind:

headstock.png

Planning to use the Hipshot system, including its string anchor. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who's built with it or played it.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/guitar-headless/products/6-string-guitar-headless-system

Back