Current Warmoth lead times?

just a crazy guess but it sounds like your item may not of passed inspection,  and they wanted to make sure you got a perfect neck?  crazy guess

teleme01 said:
just a crazy guess but it sounds like your item may not of passed inspection,  and they wanted to make sure you got a perfect neck?  crazy guess

If this is to me…
That is perfectly fine and actually….. highly appreciated…..but at least give some details.
A random email stating pretty much they now have no idea when it will be done doesn’t set the best tone heading forward.

TBurst Std said:
Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread now 2 years later.

Well, lead times for things from Warmoth are not as they were prior to 2020 so there is that. Probably something people like to share though ultimately things arrive when they arrive a bit like Wizards who are never late, nor are they early.

TBurst Std said:
Not sure I understand the purpose of this thread now 2 years later.

1. The Warmoth site might be considered confusing.  Quoted lead time is X, but also completion of your order will take Y longer than the quoted lead time.  Since covid is 2 year old news, does that mean the expected time to delivery is X+Y or maybe they have updated X already to reflect that?  And considering that the added delay is as long or sometimes longer than the usual lead time, how stable is that added time?

2. In a world where you can order virtually anything online and you get immediate feedback as to the status of your order and how long it will take, I think a lot of people are either going to log in here to find out how long their order will take or else contact Warmoth and pester them.

3. The purpose of the thread is so people can share data with each other about Warmoth lead times.  Based on the popularity of the thread, this data must be at least somewhat interesting.  Considering that there are websites that do nothing more than welcome you to their site and have existed since before 2000, why not?

bostjan said:
3. The purpose of the thread is so people can share data with each other about Warmoth lead times.  Based on the popularity of the thread, this data must be at least somewhat interesting.  Considering that there are websites that do nothing more than welcome you to their site and have existed since before 2000, why not?

This.  I can extrapolate estimated completion time based on feedback from and the experiences of other customers.  When mine was 7 weeks from order to shipping, that was in line with other recent results. Granted, there are outliers such as those who've been waiting 3+ months and getting angry about it, but those still appear to be outliers, not the norm.

It helps set reasonable expectations based on real data.

I think 3+ months is typical in 2022 for custom bodies with paint.    I'll post back when I receive my order!

I'm not angry about it because I knew what to expect from reading this thread.

Romeo72 said:
Beginning to get frustrated….
I am very curious as to what happened to delay my order and the lack of info is giving me serious reconsiderations about placing all of the other orders I was contemplating placing.

For perspective, you're the exception, those happen, more on that later.

Warmoth is swamped with work. They've for now stopped doing some of the more time consuming finishes. So if you're planning to withhold future orders, I think that's still pandemic effect. I expect there's a good chance when covid eases, guitar orders will fall off, so how best to navigate this 2+ year surge is not an easy question.

A well known custom acoustic builder has recently more than doubled their production, it remains to be seen how this will affect the quality of their instruments.

In this weird market, I don't know where you'll go for custom electric parts of a similar quality. The only shop i believe matches warmoth would have been Musikraft, they've got longer lead times and have stopped building bodies to focus on producing necks.

I've got a custom acoustic on order from Santa Cruz. I listened to a podcast by a visitor recently that mentioned the Brazilian rosewood in their scrap pile .. working in wood is not completely predictable. I imagine the buyers of those BRW instruments were unhappy when their hand picked body woods were no longer available and the build process had to be restarted.

So what's the typical wait time for a custom (ie, not in-stock), finished neck?  If it's ~3 months for finished bodies I assume longer for necks?

cromulent said:
So what's the typical wait time for a custom (ie, not in-stock), finished neck?  If it's ~3 months for finished bodies I assume longer for necks?
*Seems* like the biggest bottleneck, by far, is the finishing department.  And it makes sense.  If you do wood working, you know that you can start with a properly dried and cured piece of wood and work with it as quickly as you are comfortable.  If you are familiar with finishing work, you know that you can only work as quickly as the material you are using for the finish will allow.

So, I wouldn't expect a finished neck to be much different than a finished body.  Either way, the step of the process that determines the lead time is the same.

The Aaron said:
cromulent said:

Warmoth's current lead times are always posted on the FAQ page of the Warmoth website.

These time estimates are you usually pretty accurate.

AAYSR!

Thanks Aaron.

For the people...

In Stock Hardware: 2-3 business days
In Stock Neck: 5-6 business days
In Stock Body: 5-6 business days
In Stock Neck adding paint/finish: 5-6 weeks
In Stock Body adding paint/finish: 12-14 weeks
Custom Pickguard: 3-4 business days
Custom Neck: 5-6 weeks
Custom Body: 3-4 weeks
Custom Neck with paint/finish: 8-10 weeks
Custom Body with paint/finish: 16-18 weeks

Custom body with finish ordered 1/20.  Shipping notification 4/27.  14 weeks. Hope it's worth the wait!

bleached said:
Custom body with finish ordered 1/20.  Shipping notification 4/27.  14 weeks. Hope it's worth the wait!

I ordered an in-stock body but with one pickup overrout (added a middle pickup on a Tele configuration).  I wonder how much time that will add...

cromulent said:
bleached said:

I ordered an in-stock body but with one pickup overrout (added a middle pickup on a Tele configuration).  I wonder how much time that will add...

In Stock Body: 5-6 business days

This includes the routing time.

Ordered an unfinished custom body and neck 17 Mar 2022. Tracking info sent 9 May 2022. Right exactly in the middle of the quoted window for lead time!

Ordered a custom body, neck, and pickguard--as well as some in-stock hardware--on February 10th and haven't heard anything as of May 19th.

garrettprs said:
Ordered a custom body, neck, and pickguard--as well as some in-stock hardware--on February 10th and haven't heard anything as of May 19th.

Same here.  I ordered a custom body with paint, custom neck, and in-stock hardware on the same date as you.  It shouldn't be too long now.

EDIT:  My order shipped on 5/25.  Received in Australia on 5/31.

Back