Creative, technical, and talented, but lacking emotion IMO.

I'm going to say that the the "but" implies that it's not good, since his playing was good, but...

anyway here's something good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg6X2hsl52E

Great Scott! He never shut up....

http://home.online.no/~corneliu/interviews.htm

the collected wit and wisdom on Frank, in 42 volumes..... :hello2:

Marko said:
don't forget about buckallred..
I'd rather be a famous for my max headroom guitar sour pickle face than for being able to lick my own boob.

Steve Vai's music makes me so hot . . .

I haven't actively listened to him since the mid 80's, but for as much as Vai's tone sucks, his note choice sucks, his weird faces suck...I'm pretty sure he's a lot more famous and influential (and rich) than anyone on this board.
It occurs to me that, at any level, a true musician doesn't tear down other players, but rather, learns what he can and moves on if the material doesn't move him.

yyz2112 said:
I haven't actively listened to him since the mid 80's, but for as much as Vai's tone sucks, his note choice sucks, his weird faces suck...I'm pretty sure he's a lot more famous and influential (and rich) than anyone on this board.
It occurs to me that, at any level, a true musician doesn't tear down other players, but rather, learns what he can and moves on if the material doesn't move him.

BAM!  YYZ2112 for the win ladies and gentlemen.

Thank you.  :icon_thumright:

I'm not convinced...a TRUE musician? You have described a KIND musician...

There is no obligation to stay quiet if you dislike something, influence and fame aside. To do so respectfully is optimal, I'd agree with you on that.

yyz2112 said:

I agree with that, but it strikes me that Frank Zappa fails that test repeatedly in his interview previously posted in this thread.

buckallred said:
yyz2112 said:

I agree with that, but it strikes me that Frank Zappa fails that test repeatedly in his interview previously posted in this thread.

really? where would that be?

MUYFUE said:

There is no obligation to stay quiet if you dislike something, influence and fame aside. To do so respectfully is optimal, I'd agree with you on that.
Pretty much.  Musicians are human too, and are entitled to their opinion. 

IMO Keeping an open mind is a quality of good people in general.

MUYFUE said:

yeah, you can criticize, especially when the guitarist is very obviously really crap, like CC devile,  Keith Richards or Rudy Schenker..

That's one reason I don't listen to Zappa. Great musician, but his superiority complex came through in his music. I learned what I could and moved on. You won't see me bashing him. No matter what my opinion of him may be, it's insignificant.
Too many so-called musicians talk way too much and listen way to little, believing their opinion to be of consequence. Indeed, if one is really listening, there is little time to talk.

yyz2112 said:
Great musician, but his superiority complex came through in his music.

I don't get that.
same thing with Steve Vai, some say he comes across as arrogant. to me it seems that he doesn't take himself that seriously at all..

The funny thing to me, is the current direction of this thread is all because Stubhead's feelings got hurt because Zappa gave a left handed compliment to John McLaughlin, 32 years ago hehehe ;)

I haven't ripped on anyone. I posted a couple of videos I thought were cool and had cool playing and the next thing I know Stub's got all the reasons why Frank was an boom-boom. Sure he was an boom-boom at times. Big deal. No one is perfect, not even Frank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfY3BhYNIjg

Blue313 said:

An even better quality is the ability to hear someone say, "X sucks" without taking it personally, and in turn, getting
all butt-hurt and "offended"... especially when you're talking about guitar players and music in general.

Superlizard said:
Blue313 said:

An even better quality is the ability to hear someone say, "X sucks" without taking it personally, and in turn, getting
all butt-hurt and "offended"... especially when you're talking about guitar players and music in general.

I hope you were able to read the sarcasm in my emails on this subject... I really don't care what my fellow dutchman thinks of Steve Vai...  :-\

Back