Coronavirus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hospital closest to me has 29% of in-patient beds being used for Covid patients.
Not as bad as some places (and not as crazy as it was in spring --lower NYS), but definitely NOT good.

My son is in the middle of a 14 quarantine. He has no symptoms, but was in contact* with someone who has it.

* contact was in school, socially distanced, he said he was wearing a mask as were others he was in contact with, so there is hope that there was no transmission.

It's scary stuff, especially with the very pronounced strain on the medical infrastructure.

I hope everyone is well and stays that way.

I believe I had it early on in March before they had tests here. A family member had a middle  case, fever, headache, unable to walk, which lasted about 10 days. This family member never gets sick like that and they were in contact with someone who had it a few days earlier. I had extremely mild symptoms, no fever, mild headache, chills. One reason I think my case was so mild is I take Vitamin D daily. I usually have a low Vitamin D level and I heard a study in the UK said people with low Vitamin D get worse symptoms. So I was lucky. However since then I have had some of the long haul symptoms which seem to come and go. Difficulty mentally focusing, hair loss, general aches and pains. I have been told that the long haul symptoms' eventually go away. I hope so. Since then I have started to take a baby aspirin every other day because I read that some of the possible problems is blood clots so I am thinning my blood a little to hopefully help with the possibility of a blood clot.

In the meantime I have stocked a few unfinished guitar bodies to customize and some wiring projects to keep me busy over the winter and hopefully into the spring when enough people get vaccinated to make it safe to go back to a regular world again.

I hope you all stay healthy.

Hmm...my previous post disappeared. I see there's no freedom of speech around here.

[[Content removed by moderator]]

My experience is a bit different.  I have a family member who works in ER in a hospital in a hot zone.  A whole lot of people are dying, and those that don't end up getting screwed up for life (like having their lung capacity so reduced that they can't make it up a flight of stairs).  I have heard of people that got away with mild symptoms, and that's great!  Good for them - they were lucky.  Some folks are just not though.

Stay safe folks!

Street Avenger said:
Hmm...my previous post disappeared. I see there's no freedom of speech around here.

[[Content removed by moderator]]

I removed your earlier comment. I also sent you a friendly PM explaining why I did.

Now I have also edited your post above.

Below are a few of the forum's rules. Use of this forum is consent to abide by the rules.

* Politics:  As a subject, politics is as controversial as you can get. Posts dedicated to this topic often get heated and burn up a lot of moderator time. We don't want to moderate politics, we want a guitar parts forum. Threads dedicated to politics will be deleted without warning and that posting member likely banned. Hijacking a thread with political comments can also result in that thread being deleted and the offending member being banned from this board.

*Religion: Same deal with religious posts. Don't do it. There are plenty of places to talk religion on the internet. This forum is not one of them.

* Negativity: Be kind. There are many forums on the internet that tolerate verbal attacks and abusive comments between members; this board is NOT one of them. These types of posts will simply be deleted so that we can promote a helpful, positive guitar and bass building community. Members that habitually post negative comments and perpetuate a black-cloud atmosphere will have their comments deleted and may be banned from posting without warning.

* Profanity: Please exercise restraint if you feel the urge to use bad language. This board is open to all ages so it is necessary to keep that in mind while posting. Failure to exercise such restraint will result in banning without warning.

A couple of days ago vaccinations started in the UK. The first person was a lady of ninety followed by an elderly gentleman from Warwickshire called William Shakespeare. He may possibly be related to the bard as he is from a similar area of the country.

I have moved from the UK but expect where I am for vaccinations to start in the new year.

Stay safe all...

We had a big laugh about William Shakespeare,  he's now a trivia answer.  Economy still struggling in ny. I'm glad this year is drawing to a close.  It's been rough on many levels.

rick2 said:
We had a big laugh about William Shakespeare,  he's now a trivia answer.  Economy still struggling in ny. I'm glad this year is drawing to a close.  It's been rough on many levels.

Lets hope the New Year brings some light for all. Its still going to be a way to go on a number of levels but where there is life there is hope.

Where there is life there is hope.  Cicero.  Or Rune stones in the hobbit ... Depending on who you ask ... And now Spock!  But it is so true ... We always have hope ... Thanks to Pandora.

Currently there are more than 1.6 million dead and many people with long term conditions after having had it.

Yesterday in the US alone there were 3157 deaths alone.

That is too many however you look at it.

How many died from the H1N1 'flu? How many from SARS? Avian? MERS? ZIKA virus? Tuberculosis? Car accidents?

Too many? Not too many?

And why are the case numbers surging in California with all the lockdowns and mask-wearing?

Mayfly said:
1.5 Million dead

1.5 million out of 7 billion = .000214%

Did those lives matter? Of course they did, but a percentage like that does not justify lock-downs, causing people to lose jobs, businesses, and major damage to the economy.

And how many of those who died had other pre-existing health problems that weakened their immune systems?  The way this whole thing has been reacted to is unprecedented.

And yet it is spreading.

Without common sense actions (like wearing a mask) everybody might get it.
With a world population of 7.8 billion people that would mean that 78 (!) million people would die of the disease alone (if we use the 99% survival rate formula).
Of course with such numbers many social functions will start to shut down - resulting in many more (probably unnecessary) deaths.
Just like what we are seeing in a previously great country.

Logrinn said:

I'd say they jury is out on just how "common sense" the masks are. But you wouldn't think so based on what findings are actually reported.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/12/03/efficacy-of-surgical-masks.aspx?ui=66e2f61e044dce378cfe3321a430568a9c3a76d78c172baac1e55b735728ba3a&cid_source=prnl&cid_medium=email&cid_content=art1ReadMore&cid=20201203&mid=DM736686&rid=1025687600

For my part, I'll take my chances with my immune system's 99% effectiveness rate with a low probability of any symptoms whatsoever over the vaccine's 95% effectiveness with unknown risk of unknown side effects. Which leaves one more dose out there for somebody who want one.

Wearing a mask is not just about you. It is about taking responsibility from also preventing others being infected if you are asymptomatic.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

Wear a mask around others to help protect you from getting and spreading COVID-19.

And keep politics out of the forum please.

Logrinn said:
And yet it is spreading.

I know I said I don't usually get into these types of discussions on an internet forum, but I will say this.

Of course it's spreading.. That's what viruses do.  It's also how we, as human beings, develop our immune system.  If we are never exposed, we can't build up a resistance.  It's how our immune system is designed to work.  I'm also going to say that masks aren't the "be all, end all" to protection.. either for yourself, or others.  The ONLY point I agree on with regard to wearing a mask is that it inhibits droplets from travelling very far if you happen to cough or sneeze while wearing one.. Other than that, they are useless in the manner that most are employing them.  I have a very good friend who is a contractor that is certified in mold remediation, PPE, etc. so he's pretty well informed when it comes to what PPE is required for given airborne threats.. and what we're wearing, ain't doing it.  I wore a mask everywhere I went outside of my home, and I still got it.  My wife was locked up inside of the house with me during quarantine as well, neither of us wearing mask and in close contact.. and she tested negative twice for it after it was all said and done.  We speculate, that either (A) she's already had it and never even knew it.. or (B) there is some validity to the thought that people with Type O blood are more resistant as she is Type O.  I would be much more worried about picking it up by touching something.

As a matter of course, I was called several times by my state's Health Department and spoke to my own doctor's office personnel several times... and you know what the biggest take away that I gained from that was?  Everyone I spoke to, basically to a person said there is no rhyme or reason to this virus.  Some come thru it without even knowing they had it.. Other's die, although I would probably wager than most that have legitimately passed from Covid related causes would fall into the same category as those that would need to be extra careful during any given flu season (elderly, compromised immune system, etc..)..  and then there is everything in between.  When it comes to the numbers..  I have ZERO confidence in the "numbers" with regard to Covid deaths, as it's been documented that deaths that occurred from other totally unrelated causes are included in the Covid numbers if the deceased had Covid at the time of their passing.  So, that statistic I take with a pretty heavy dose of salt.

Do I believe that Covid is real?  Yes, absolutely.  Do I think, as Street Avenger does, that this has been blown way out of proportion?  Yes, absolutely.  That being said, everyone take care of yourself and do what you personally feel is necessary to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.  :rock-on:   

stratamania said:
Wearing a mask is not just about you. It is about taking responsibility from also preventing others being infected if you are asymptomatic.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

Wear a mask around others to help protect you from getting and spreading COVID-19.

And keep politics out of the forum please.

That mantra certainly has been effective at fostering self-policing of the mask conformity by the public. Mask effectiveness is debatable at best, and the zeal with which masks are promoted borders on hysteria in my opinion. Everyone is free to make their mask-wearing decision based on whatever criteria they choose to base it on, but I certainly am not asking anyone to wear one for me.

If the politics comment is directed at me, I'll have to ask for clarification as I don't see the politics in my comment.

It comes down to one question, do you err on the side of safety or do you ignore it and whoever dies, dies ?.......... :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back