Cooper Burst Flame Top Strat

That is one seriously classy Strat. Literally everything about it is perfect, which you don't see all to often, especially with Strats. Give people something as customizable as a Strat and they're bound to make some weird choices  :laughing7: Seriously though, the aged parchment is the icing on the cake. And I never realized the copper burst would look so great. Normally I'm not much of a flame maple top guy, but I'm loving all of it.

One question: how did you manage to avoid string trees? It doesn't look like you're using height adjustable posts or staggered tuners, and the neck doesn't appear to have an angled headstock. Either you did a brilliant job cutting the nut, or I'm missing something. What are the tuners, by the way?

I don't put string trees on any of my guitars, either. They're only there to compensate for the poorly cut nuts that result from high production environments that don't allow for detailed work, or techs who don't know as much about cutting nuts as they think they do. Also, not everybody strings up properly when using old-fashioned tuners, and the string can end up sitting kinda high.

Yeah I've noticed that winding the strings so they sit low on the post can really help, especially with unusually short posts like the Gotoh 510 Magnum Locking Tuners have. But for a novice like me, how would you cut the nut properly to ensure you don't need the trees?

There's a decent tutorial here, and some detail about slot shaping here that might be helpful to read. Note that you'll need a good set of nut files, and they're not cheap. Expect to spend as much as $100. Plus, if you're going to replace nuts (and once you start cutting slots it's almost guaranteed you'll have to at some point), you'll need some shaping files. So, unless you're going to cut a lot of nuts, it may be worth it to find a shop with a good reputation for such work and pay them to do it. I don't know what it's like in your neighborhood, but around here you can usually get a whole new nut installed and set up for around $25 + a set of strings.

Roland said:
That is one seriously classy Strat. Literally everything about it is perfect, which you don't see all to often, especially with Strats. Give people something as customizable as a Strat and they're bound to make some weird choices  :laughing7: Seriously though, the aged parchment is the icing on the cake. And I never realized the copper burst would look so great. Normally I'm not much of a flame maple top guy, but I'm loving all of it.

One question: how did you manage to avoid string trees? It doesn't look like you're using height adjustable posts or staggered tuners, and the neck doesn't appear to have an angled headstock. Either you did a brilliant job cutting the nut, or I'm missing something. What are the tuners, by the way?

Hey mate, thanks !

Actually it was my luthier's suggestion (not using string trees). And he is one of the best luthiers in Turkey(Atleast he is one of the luthiers which I can trust without thinking).

There weren't any problem like popping string from nut and B and E were not going out of tune.(Which of the problems these can fixable with string tree). Then I accept his suggestion. Because I really don't want to drill my guitar for nothing. Tuners are Kluson Deluxe.( Didn't I mentoin about them in specs ? o_O :p )

Btw- Build a Copperburst flametop strat for yourself. Trust me !  :cool01:

That's one of the most beautiful strats I've ever seen, it's gorgeous! Absolutely stunning top!  :toothy10:

Thank you ^^

Warmoth is the last stop before the Shur  :icon_jokercolor:

I have few sound samples for you, maybe you would like to hear.

1- I'm playing whole lead guitar part :

http://soundcloud.com/farukkutlu/gpbluescem-10-faruk

2- I'm the 2nd guy in this record. I guess I'm starting to play at 0.55 :

http://soundcloud.com/farukkutlu/gpkbcem-21-orkun-faruk-ersal

3- I'm the 2nd guy again. I'm starting at half of the track. I guess I left a comment to show who's playing at this time :

http://soundcloud.com/farukkutlu/gpkbcem-25-michael-delaney

Thanks for the info Cagey. Is the Warmoth installed nut a good starting point for a nut that doesn't require string trees, or do you have to file one from scratch for that to happen?

Warmoth's nuts are very well done. Sometimes the slots may need to be lowered a little bit, but that's a matter of personal preference more than anything else. I suspect for most people the nut is just fine as delivered.

I didn't update my topic for a long time. I just wanted to add a new record with my new pedals, mic and cab. You can hear how she sounds much better now.

http://soundcloud.com/farukkutlu/gpjt-cem-16-faruk

Guitar Stuff:

Warmoth Strat
MXR Custom Comp
Xotic BB+
Blackstar HT-5
Line6 DT50 4x12 Cab

Recording Stuff:

REAPER
GLS Audio ES57
Line6 UX1

Let the bodies hit the...

FLOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This strat is flawless.
If I were to make a 3S guitar, it'd be something extremely similar! Gorgeous!

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but did you purchase the bridge from Warmoth? If so, did it come with the bent steel saddles?

llmstratocaster said:
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but did you purchase the bridge from Warmoth? If so, did it come with the bent steel saddles?

Hey,

No, I didn't purchase it from Warmoth. I purchased it from a guy who was gonna build a strat(I also purchased tuning machines and jackplate from him :) ).

Bridge is standart USA Fender bridge and they come with those old style stamped saddles.

Just beautiful. Congrats on a knock-out build.

I applaud the lack of a tremolo cover; man, those things are useless and ugly!  :icon_biggrin:

Back