Concentric pot wiring?

Rick.

Hey fellas,

My first post here, i might be intrested in making a V in the future,
I would like to have as less as possible knobs/switches and other stuff on it..

I was just wondering is its possible to wire two humbuckers on this pot both using one pot as volume, all i found on the net were people using volume and tone, but i would like to have volume and volume.

Thanks

Rick  :party07:

Cool idea. You want to use one concentric pot for vol/vol with two humbuckers. I...think...it can be done. I don't see why not...
I'll look around for some diagrams.

I betcha somebody smart will beat me to the answer!

BTW, I might steal that idea if it works!

Yes, it will work.  A concentric pot is just two regular pots that are makin' sweet love.  There should be 6 lugs on it, 3 for each pot.  These behave exactly like the 3 lugs on any pot.

There are a number of ways to wire 2 volumes, but that is independent of the fact that they're concentric.  :rock-on:

As long as the pots are audio taper and are the right impedance (500K for humbuckers) it will work just fine.

Ok nice,

But if you look at this diagram
2h_2v_3w.jpg

You'll see you got to solder some stuff on the back of the pot, well since you only have one back, you cant solder one pot..
But i think i know what do : Solder those wires on the side of the pot instead of underneath it, will this work aswell?

Thanks

Hi, i made this in paint :

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6888/naamloosokb.png

I forgot the ground wire from the bridge but except for that, will this work?

Rick.

jlegnor said:
You could just use a jumper wire to solder the one lug to ground.

+1 - just use a jumper for the third terminal of the inner pot.  That third lug needs to be grounded, but there are several ways to skin this particular cat.

Sorry, iam a bit newb into this, what do you exactly mean?

And what doya think of my wiring?

Rick.

Rick. said:
Sorry, iam a bit newb into this, what do you exactly mean?

And what doya think of my wiring?

Rick.

Had a look at your drawing.  It will work, but it will be awkward to solder on the side of the lower pot like that.

If it were me, I'd solder the common ground stuff to the outer pot as usual, and then just jumper (that is, run a short wire) between the two third terminals of the volume pots then on to the back of the outer pots.

Had a look at your drawing.  It will work, but it will be awkward to solder on the side of the lower pot like that.

If it were me, I'd solder the common ground stuff to the outer pot as usual, and then just jumper (that is, run a short wire) between the two third terminals of the volume pots then on to the back of the outer pots.
[/quote]

Exactly.  If you try to solder on the side of the pot, you run the risk of getting solder inside the pot, which will really screw up your day.

You probably only need to solder to bottom of the pot.  They are all one chasis, so there's no need to solder on the side of the other pot.  You can either jumper the two lugs together and ground one, or bend both of them back and solder them to the pot, but it may get solder in the pot like a previous poster said.

While it's not a vol/vol pot, I got tone/tone pot from torres engineering that's pretty cool.  the outer ring is tone all the time and the inner knob is a midrange cut or boost.  It was pretty cheap.  I had my tech install it, so I don't know how to do it.

Back