Completed: Pau Ferro / Pau Ferro : Mahogany Super Strat

Steve_Karl

It's done.

Here's a quick and dirty demo of the Graphtech Acousta-phonic system.
No amp or amp sim ... direct into sound card then Sonar Platinum - No EQ ... no high pass - only reverb and some echo.

http://www.sightsea.com/music/wip/Pau_Demo_Acoustic_1a.mp3

Some things I have to watch out for on this one is

1) those saddle pickups on a vibrato bridge (Wilkinson VS-100) aren't nearly as stable as on a hard tail bridge like on the nylon strung strat.
On this one I had to dampen the 5 springs in the back by pulling a stip of cloth (old T-shirt) into the inside of each spring to dampen the rumble which was sounding as a sub sonic thump with every finger or pick stroke.
Also, using the wammy bar with the acoustic saddle pickups produces a low grinding rumble, probably the knife edge grinding on the mounting studs.

2) It's very sensitive and picks up every nuance so if I attack the hi E string the wrong way (fingers or pick) it can sound a bit odd, but adjusting my angle,
pulling up towards the b string with a finger or picking down towards the floor with a pick, then I can control the tone of that note much better. It's mostly on the open hi E string that it happens.
I'm using Ernie Ball .010s.
Other than that I think it's working well.

All images from out of the box to completion are here:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP13Y1p499PuCAyzsmbleL5TDhulZKJqjRKw3NAqmyANYjYvr8c7RHMTB40NKP4hg?key=YXh1UDJDUHpZZFJmNGkzX2ZqNHF5MHRzZG13QTVn

Once again thank you everyone for the great information and inspiration.
I couldn't have done it without you!

Attachments

• DSC_0595.jpg
    DSC_0595.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0579.jpg
    DSC_0579.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 81
Wow. That sounds really good. I'm surprised, because I put that same system on one of my Jazzmasters not too long ago, using the same bridge, and it doesn't sound anywhere near that nice. On the plus side, I don't hear any mechanical noise from the bridge fulcrum or springs.

I've been given some good ideas how to make it sound better, but I haven't done anything yet. Need to get on that.

Cagey said:
Wow. That sounds really good. I'm surprised, because I put that same system on one of my Jazzmasters not too long ago, using the same bridge, and it doesn't sound anywhere near that nice. On the plus side, I don't hear any mechanical noise from the bridge fulcrum or springs.

I've been given some good ideas how to make it sound better, but I haven't done anything yet. Need to get on that.

Thanks Cagey!
This is my first guitar with SS6100 frets.
I've got the action up a bit higher than I'd have hoped, but it seemed necessary to get the string excursion for the tone,
especially for the graphtech system.
My others have 6230 and don't seem to need as much altitude to sound good.

It wouldn't be a fret size issue. What you're undoubtedly hearing is slight variations in fret height because they're not levelled (or dressed) before leaving Warmoth. So, there's almost always 4 or 5 frets that are slightly proud. It's close, because it's a freshly milled fretboard that they're pressed into, but it's not perfect. That's why they recommend a setup on new necks.

Cagey said:
It wouldn't be a fret size issue. What you're undoubtedly hearing is slight variations in fret height because they're not levelled (or dressed) before leaving Warmoth. So, there's almost always 4 or 5 frets that are slightly proud. It's close, because it's a freshly milled fretboard that they're pressed into, but it's not perfect. That's why they recommend a setup on new necks.

Yes. There are few high ones. I have a rocker and checked it when I first strung it up.
Maybe what I'm feeling is height off of the wood and not being used how high 6100s are.
I'll be having them leveled eventually.

Count me in on that sounding good! It's a pleasure to hear such clean tones.

The clip does sound good and the guitar looks good too.

I just looked through all the photos on Google and looks like some careful work went into it.

I wondered what did you use for finishing the mahogany and what the dremel tool was used for in one of the pics ?

stratamania said:
The clip does sound good and the guitar looks good too.

I just looked through all the photos on Google and looks like some careful work went into it.

I wondered what did you use for finishing the mahogany and what the dremel tool was used for in one of the pics ?

Thank you stratmania !

I used Minwax Satin poly wipe on for the clear top coats, and grain filled 4 times with a filler from LMI. Can't remember the name of the color but it's like melted Hershey's chocolate when you get some water in it.
If you really wanted to know I could go look at the name on the outside of the container.

I used the dremel tool to drill all the small holes like the tuner mounting holes, pickup ring holes, strap button holes.
And I had to use the dremel to cut back a bit of the side, inside to control cavity, 
( see first link below ... picture ... right side )
... made necessary by my wanting the hole for the pot too close to that bump there ...
I wanted the knobs in a line similar to my other 2 strats ( see second link below ) and the pots were much smaller in those.

... and also to thin the underside of the top a tiny bit to make the little black bat switch able to show enough threads through the front to be able to grab some threads with the securing nut. Both of those should be visible in this pic.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP13Y1p499PuCAyzsmbleL5TDhulZKJqjRKw3NAqmyANYjYvr8c7RHMTB40NKP4hg/photo/AF1QipNLehCnUkRPnE9BgDJ6mLvBecSoldz7gZ6XKyxR?key=YXh1UDJDUHpZZFJmNGkzX2ZqNHF5MHRzZG13QTVn

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipP5MCfBinmYgJ9-HdBKUq-Rp5tR7t59R4pLC86Q

Thanks Steve, I see the photo where you recessed for the control. Neat.

Its ok on the type of product. I doubt we can buy it in the UK in any case. Was just curious what you had used.

Most impressive in both looks and sound! Listening to that clip has me jonesing for a solid body with a piezo and slim neck. My SST has the piezo, but I'm no longer comfortable playing that style neck.

Beautiful work Brother, best of luck with it.

:icon_thumright:

BigSteve22 said:
Most impressive in both looks and sound! Listening to that clip has me jonesing for a solid body with a piezo and slim neck. My SST has the piezo, but I'm no longer comfortable playing that style neck.

Beautiful work Brother, best of luck with it.

:icon_thumright:

Thank you BigSteve!

Here's an other sound demo.
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl/highwire-in-the-wind

This one is the bridge pup through Guitar Rig 5 (fattened up the lower mids - see EQ in GR5)
and with reverb and echo done in Sonar Platinum.

Attachments

• Highwire_Guitar_Rig_5_.jpg
    Highwire_Guitar_Rig_5_.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 9
Steve, that sounded absolutely fantastic. Great composition. Wonderful playing. Bravo!

Back