Coloring (Water-based) Grain Filler

stomp

I got some light-colored grain filler so that I could color itself and make varieties for both walnut and mahogany. I understand I'm looking for acrylics, but I'm a little in the dark about whether I should be looking for dye, paint, etc.

Any recommendations/advice?

I'd be interested in knowing that, too. I'm pretty sure you want dye rather than pigment, and not paint at all. But, let's see what the pros say.

Check the manufactures recommendations for tinting their product but I would imagine that they would recommend UTC colorants.

I have been working with Mixol pigments as of late with good results.
I suppose they would qualify as a Universal Tinting Colorant.

They say that they are compatible with most any medium, but I only have experience using them with solvent based coatings.

But yes, I don't know what kind of grain filler you are working with, and the manufacturer does have the last word.

I recently used a water-based grain filler by Timbermate on an Alder body (I just finished sealing and priming). Works great. The guy in the video says you can use it with most stains and water-based pigments...

http://youtu.be/NuQaLbZ9OTI

For the record, I'm using the LMII micro-bead paste filler. They simply recommend "artist acrylic colors."

I'd ask them, specifically. I mean, to dye water or water-based poly, you use water-based dye - you can get the powdered stuff from LMII, but all aniline byes like RIT clothing dye or fountain pen ink are functionally identical. But if they specify "acrylic" coloring, maybe you don't want to dye the water, you want to paint the "microbeads" ?

Back