Coffee

Half and half is half whole milk and half whole cream.

When I have been in the US is the only place I have heard the term or seen and had it in coffee.

just to help you on your quest sir,and best of luck with it,  I'll add my coffee intake MO for the record.

For me, Starbucks is NEAR the perfect cup, but it's not strong enough for me that is. I'll get two shots of expresso in with a Vente cup of their strongest brew.

If I feel okay, I must have two cups of coffee to get my day started, otherwise I would be flat out miserable. I use French Roast San Francisco bay Coffee Co. whole beans , and I use a LOT! It comes out super super strong and black, absolutely no cream and  no sugar...and I grind the whole beans  super fine to maximize the effect. :turtle:
it really doesn't turn out too bitter the way I do it either.

I just use a Melita system with a plastic funnel with a paper filter that sits on top of a  Corning pot . I have a hands free 'Nu-Wave' grinder, and this cool electric water boiler  I found for around 15 bucks  that boils the water in about 3 or 4 minutes. The whole process of making my morning coffee now  takes less than 5 minutes.

I almost could put it in my crankcase instead of 30 weight oil.

I did recenetly splurge on about a hundred bucks worth of Hawaiian Kona beans, but really, it doesnt turn out well with the system I use, and I am going to use a drip coffee maker for that, but even then, it's really not my bag, I dig the really really ( really really) strong dark stuff.

My departed Nana had a great phrase for how coffee should be:

"I like my coffee so strong the rats can skate on it!"

Good times, I miss the ol' broad.  And I, like her, prefer my coffee to be assertive.

My favorite coffee is Joe's Organic "Sweet Love" blend: https://www.jimsorganiccoffee.com/product/sweet-love-blend/

It's now the only one I brew here at home in the morning. Delicious!

Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize "half and half" as a cream/milk product was US-specific.  I don't generally put sugar in my coffee unless I've gotten too ambitious with the darkness of the blend.  I like my coffee bold, but not excessively bitter.  Notes of "sweeter" things like chocolate or caramel are nice, and I've found I don't particularly care for what is commonly described as "earthy" flavor.

I use an electric percolator to brew 6 cups of strong black coffee everyday. 
Usually this:
https://www.boxed.com/product/112/starbucks-whole-bean-coffee-40-oz.-french-roast?pf=3&gid=112&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_purpose=acquisition&utm_campaign=shopping-lowbid&gclid=CjwKCAjwzenbBRB3EiwAItS-ux8NiQUXKNiq0rr2EfFgYZ2nlo8KOSoSjcGD18LN19SC212dq7dwERoCexoQAvD_BwE

I store the beans in the fridge, and everyweek grind fresh beans.
I use an electric percolator.
I'll drink a cup in the morning and bring an 8 oz thermos to work.  Usually done by noon with Coffee.
I don't participate in our coffee club, because frankly, they buy cheap beans and they don't taste so good.
I don't buy coffee in stores because it's so expensive, and not as good as what I brew at home, only on special occasions, maybe at a good restaurant, I'll get an espresso at the end of the meal.

Coffee is an absolute essential in my  house. Growing up, every day after school, my Grandmother would give me what she called "Little boy coffee", which was an ounce or so of coffee in a cup of milk. This started when I was about 6 or 7 years old, she said it was the way she grew up, sort of a "German" thing.

Anyway, for many years my wife and I used a Mr. Coffee brewer and Dunkin' Doughnuts coffee. A couple of years ago we started using a Keurig brewer, mainly because I broke the carafe on the Mr. Coffee, and I had the Keurig sitting there as a backup. My wife still uses Dunkin' Doughnuts French Vanilla pods, while I like the Newman's Own, Organics Special Blend.

I normally drink 1 cup before I leave for work, 1 cup for the road, and 1 or 2 more at work, (there's a Keurig in the office). Then 1 or 2 cups at home, after work. This may seem like a lot, but it's actually a drastic reduction from times gone bye. In the mid 90s, when I worked in a Special Housing Unit, the Sergeant and I would go through 4 pots over the course of a shift, just to have enough energy to keep up with the work load. Interestingly enough, my two adult sons hardly drink coffee at all.

Just as an aside, I was in Victoria B.C. last week, and had the opportunity to stop at a Tim Horton's coffee shop. Very tasty coffee, and nice muffins too!

Regular coffee, half and half, no sugar. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the world, but in the US McDonald's coffee (current) is the gold standard for me. Dunkin' Donuts and Panera are tied for a distant second.

I just picked up a Nespresso machine and it rocks.  I have been making Lattes with their expressions cups and milk frother

I second the French press.  Makes a great cup.  I have been splurging on Death Wish Valhalla Java (Zakk’s Wylde’s blend).  It truly is a smooth as a mountain goat!!!

Nandooooooo!!!!!
2 large mugs a day, with some half/half only
Fresh ground beans only, I ordered a lot of different beans from Amazon and after trying many different brands, I finally found my favorites: Honduras and Guatemalan Coffee beans from........... the Aldi!!!

That breakfast looks good Fernando. As to asking about making coffee at work, I would do that some mornings for both me and my favorite colleague in the last office I worked in. We took turns bringing coffee and I would email her a picture of coffee beans and one of water together to her desk in the next office when I was making some to alert her it was brewing. Right now though I am shamelessly reheating this morning's left over coffee before I get ready for my second job. Dark roast with nothing added.

Any fans of strong/dark roast/black coffee, if you ever get a chance to try Turkish coffee do it!

I had some for the first time recently, wow! It's made by grinding the coffee beans super fine, like talcum powder. Then they add to water and cook on low heat for a long time (half hour?), but never let the water boil. Then it's served just like this, with the grounds still in the coffee. But the cool thing is that since the water never boiled, it's super strong but not very bitter at all. It's usually served in tiny mugs though as it's really strong.

Great stuff! My all time favorite. 2nd place is Starbucks Sumatra dark roast in a french press.

davegardner0 said:
Any fans of strong/dark roast/black coffee, if you ever get a chance to try Turkish coffee do it!

I had some for the first time recently, wow! It's made by grinding the coffee beans super fine, like talcum powder. Then they add to water and cook on low heat for a long time (half hour?), but never let the water boil. Then it's served just like this, with the grounds still in the coffee. But the cool thing is that since the water never boiled, it's super strong but not very bitter at all. It's usually served in tiny mugs though as it's really strong.

Great stuff! My all time favorite. 2nd place is Starbucks Sumatra dark roast in a french press.

Love the stuff. Hilarious if you have someone in the party who doesn't know that you're not supposed to stir them.

ByteFrenzy said:
davegardner0 said:

Love the stuff. Hilarious if you have someone in the party who doesn't know that you're not supposed to stir them.

Oh yeah I forgot about the stirring. The place I got it from stirred it a lot while pouring it into the cups, to make sure each got the same amount of grounds. Otherwise the last cup poured would be way stronger!

Total coffee snob. Roaster to grinder then make coffee. Most Americans drink weak tasteless stuff.

bassetman said:
Most Americans drink weak tasteless stuff.
This is so true. My normal coffee is much like expresso. Can't do too many cups though.

Back