Telepaul

it is a stratosonic right. great guitar. 24 3/4 scale. i had the one with p90s. in sunburst though.

elgravos said:
It's a quasi religious thing.  Don't expect it to make sense...

If you play my WLP you will change your mind. It sounds like a LP and feels better!
No tele or strat will sound like a LP no matter the HBs or the mahogany body. The shape & dimensions of the body are more important than the glue/screws thing.

Not so sure about that so long as I get a solid slab of mahogany and a carved maple top.  At the end of the day, and provided the wood combo + pickups is the right one, the scale length is probably the major differentiator in the sound.  If I was using every right LP component but had a 25.5 scale length, I'm pretty sure it would still sound somewhat like a Fender no matter what I did.  That's why I'm going the conversion neck route on this one.  But the only way to find out for sure is to build it...

There's a semi-famous player named Jimmy Herring who's main guitar is a Fender Custom shop Strat with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers, and he says it sounds mostly like a Strat, just fuller. On his solo album at least, his tone is almost exactly like the mid-rangey-but-Fender harmonica-esque 25.5" bolt-on humbucking tone that Steve Morse uses, although Morse has many other choices too. Herring spent a lot of time playing with Butch Trucks and Warren Haynes in various Dead/Allman incarnations, so he's spent some time on tone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsNdCZSTqdo&feature=related

Ya know, a two humbucker strat would be rather interesting - especially with coil tapped pickups and a 5 way switch.  I bet there's a bunch of "in between" positions that are possible with that setup...

You bet, that's pretty much all I use these days.  My main strat has a dimarzio humbucker from hell thrown in at the neck together with a schaller model p megaswitch which pretty much copies the selections available on the PRS 5 way rotary.  Lots of possibilities there.

Stub....in that clip Jimmy Herring has a 6 hole vintage trem for a bridge..may not sound like a TOM on an LP.. :dontknow:

Brian

Back