Clear coat over Sharpie over pickups?

rob91bob

This Wednesday I am going to a meet and greet before a show with Dream Theater. As the John Petrucci fanboy that I am I want to get him to sign my Dimarzio CrunchLab and LiquiFire pickups before I put them into my walnut soloist build.

I am thinking gold sharpie and once I get them home a light dusting with shellac or sanding sealer then once its sealed hit it with some clear lacquer.

Any thoughts? of course I will test this on an old set of pickups before clearing. If all else fails maybe have someone to a clear wrap over the bobbins?

Test it first. If you use alcohol for the shellac make sure it doesnt also make the sharpie run.

Well I used a silver sharpie, I lightly sanded the tops of the pickups with some 800 grit. After I got the signature I preserved them back into the package until I could get them home. (After one heck of a show!!!) The next day I gave them 2 light mistings of spray shellac, waited 2 hours then to coats of Nitro Lacquer. End result looks pretty darn cool!
John Petrucci is pretty cool as well!

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 282
With the band and John signing the pickups!

Attachments

• IMG_7473-X2.jpg
    IMG_7473-X2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_7496-X2.jpg
    IMG_7496-X2.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 268
Awesome. The pickups are looking good. Now do we get some sound clips from you to see if some of Petruccis mojo has rubbed off on to the pickups? :icon_jokercolor:

Back