Christmas wish list!

Believe it or not, that's exactly why Warmoth doesn't offer nitro gloss finishes. They tried it a couple of times over the years, and they just had too many complaints about the fact that the finish would show up cracked all over after going from one climate to another. And that's on top of the fact that a true nitro finish take a LONG time to cure.

Having worked more than 15 years in a chain of music stores in Sweden I can tell you that I’ve seen a fair share of Gibson’s with cracked finishes. And worse ...

cracked finish ='s character when I do it, or someone has owned the guitar for years.  Buying it new, not so much, unless it's a discount.

If they put a disclaimer pop up that you had to read before paying for it (like pickguards saying they might not fit) then I think it would help with that some. Personnally whether it was just a body, or even if I went to look at a brand new guitar. If it had checking or cracking on a nitro finish, I wouldn’t be bothered. Poly? I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole

I'd love to see a neck finish option with a gloss front and satin back.  Or at least gloss headstock with the rest satin.

WallyG3 said:
I'd love to see a neck finish option with a gloss front and satin back.  Or at least gloss headstock with the rest satin.

That would be killer!

Logrinn said:
Having worked more than 15 years in a chain of music stores in Sweden I can tell you that I’ve seen a fair share of Gibson’s with cracked finishes. And worse ...

I could see that. Nitro is crazy fragile.
And, like another poster said, it takes forever for it to cure.
I just love the feel of a thin nitro finish, or a thin finish period. My favorite Gibson’s are the faded series. Finish is thinner than a French light rolling paper.

Nightclub Dwight said:
How come Gibson nitro finishes don't arrive cracked and crazed when shipped around the world?

Modern lacquers often have plasticizers and other additives to prevent that behavior, as it's generally considered a finish failure. If simply shipping a guitar from the factory to the dealer/end user caused that kind of failure, Gibson (or whoever) would be inundated with warranty claims that would be ruinous to satisfy. For the OEM, a refinish is tantamount to simply scrapping the instrument due to the amount of labor involved.

Talking about plasticizers, I've been reading on the interweb that Gibson's finishes are indeed nitro, but they use more plasticizers in it than "back in the day". Probably to prevent it from getting damaged as easily.

sorta like poly ... :icon_jokercolor:

I want the option of having bodies shipped in the Peel and Play wrap so I can tell my wife I won the big prize.

I know it's been said some place else ...
Warmoth selling the 2 1/16th spread 510 tremolo.

I’m pretty happy with the existing 24” Mustang neck, but it would be really cool to have more bodies (all of them?) as 7/8 versions or perhaps some 24” scale bridge placement option on the full size versions.
Just think - a 24” scale Diamondback ...  :icon_tongue:

Seamas said:
I want the option of having bodies shipped in the Peel and Play wrap so I can tell my wife I won the big prize.

My dad actually did this when we were kids. Not for himself, but he got us a Roland JX-8P, and had the shop do up a fake receipt to make it look like a drawing.

WallyG3 said:

The gloss headstock with satin back is totally doable. You just have to call in for it. Example: VMS14481. ;)

A bass neck with a 2x2 headstock that fits Fender-style bodies. I don't think the Gecko necks do this, and I'm not in love with that headstock design.

EDIT: I just discovered the Warmoth 2x2 style necks. The headstock isn't my cup of tea but I'm still an idiot. Ignore this request please!

Back