Chord problem

robortwillys

Hi
I am learning Guitar  and I am having trouble with my finger placement when I play the G major and C major chords. It seems like no matter what I do, my index finger is always touching the string below it, so I can't get a clear ring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Practice. Use as light a touch as possible, and the angle between fretboard and fingertip should be pretty steep. Also useful is to not use the awful thumb-over manouver and instead keep the thumb solidly in the middle of the back of the neck (the more classical position). Did wonders for me!

When you look at your fingers and you know what's not right, you can make it right.  This will train your muscle memory, and also why it's important to nip bad habits in the bud now.  After the muscle memory is learned, the switch between the two will become faster and more solid.  Eventually, you could/should move to scales.  Again this muscle memory will be important because those movements can be applied elsewhere on the neck with the same result.

kboman said:
Practice. Use as light a touch as possible, and the angle between fretboard and fingertip should be pretty steep. Also useful is to not use the awful thumb-over manouver and instead keep the thumb solidly in the middle of the back of the neck (the more classical position). Did wonders for me!
Wait until you have good habits before thumb-overs  :laughing7:

If you have big fingers (hands), you might want to consider a guitar setup whereupon the string spacing is wider (more space
between each string) - like a vintage Fender 6-hole trem bridge (wider) vs. Fender American Standard 2-point bridge, for example.

Not all string spacings are alike.

Yeah, thumb placement is vital. STD Custom nailed it.
I'd try to grab the chord, and then just look at how your hand is positioned. From what you say, your fingers are too flat, not giving a high enough arch to let the adjacent strings ring. To fix this, you keep your fingertips in the same place, but move your wrist out and that'll take your thumb with it, moving your fingers out of the way...you'll be ringing out loud and clear.

proper hand placement will also be easier if the neck of the guitar is pointing up a bit instead of down a bit. With the neck lower, it is easy to have your hand bend 90 degrees from your wrist, which makes everything difficult and can be very damaging if you get into a longterm habit of playing this. For now try to have your thumb behind the neck about where your middle finger is on the fretboard. Don't creep your thumb over the top of the neck because then your fingers may not be long enough to reach the appropriate strings.

All these chords you speak of would be easy to play on a new Warmoth guitar that you put together yourself, and with our help.  :party07:

Alfang said:
All these chords you speak of would be easy to play on a new Warmoth guitar that you put together yourself, and with our help.  :party07:

Better point  :icon_thumright:

Practice and don't give up, we all sucked at some point. and make sure to take your time on everything, don't rush, otherwise you could form some nasty habits in the future.

and +1 on the new warmoth.

The thing I say to everyone who asks me about learning to play guitar is to play stuff that you like and already know well how it should sound. That way it's easier to get rhythms, chord voicings and general timing etc right.

In fairness I don't think I've played a basic full G chord right in 15 years. I usually use the D on the B string, and I'm pretty sure I mute the A string. 3rds are overrated lol

jay4321 said:
In fairness I don't think I've played a basic full G chord right in 15 years. I usually use the D on the B string, and I'm pretty sure I mute the A string. 3rds are overrated lol

I do that too, play the D on the B string and mute the A.  I guess it's technically a G5.  But as a bass player, I play more thirds than anything.  It defines the major or minor and keeps me from hanging around on the roots.

Bad habits aren't as hard to break as some will make out.  There is some stuff that I did sloppily for years, but I got by doing it.  I have been able to make small adjustments that make my pure technique better over time, and I play better now than I ever did.  One simple rule to put above all others:  Pick up a guitar every day of your life, and make music with it.

I actually went from having good thumb position to purposely using my thumb to mute the E string at times.  It's really not a big deal to do that as long as it's not preventing you from playing chords that sound good and it doesn't strain your hand. 

hannaugh said:
I actually went from having good thumb position to purposely using my thumb to mute the E string at times.  It's really not a big deal to do that as long as it's not preventing you from playing chords that sound good and it doesn't strain your hand. 

I do this with certain cowboy chords, like Am and D.  But it's really a bad habit, because I have to shift my whole wrist to get back in the right position for a barre chord.

Back