Change hardtail bridge from 2-7/32" to 2-1/16"

StringTheory

I've got some 2-7/32" E-to-E spaced hardtail bodies that I'd like to convert to modern 2-1/16" spacing. I want to emphasize _hardtail_ cause this puts a different spin on it. Not as easy as converting a vibrato, which just requires filling 6 holes and redrilling.

The hardtail would require respacing the holes for the strings, and maybe the ferrules as well. The difference in spacing is so close (5/32") that it could make things more difficult than simply filling and redrilling. I'd expect bits to skid off center.

Has anyone tried this?

Nope.
Just buy a 2-1/16" spaced hardtail bridge like the three that I have.

The strings go thru the body, and those holes are already drilled to 2-7/32" so they won't line up with the holes in the 2-1/16" spaced bridge.
Maybe I'm overlooking something in your reply?

I was thinking that there may be a way to drill holes at a very slight slant so they still match up with the 2-7/32" centered ferrules.
Warmoth techs advised checking here to see if someone may have solved this.

Last edited:
I'm just spit ballin here, but I think your idea, slightly slant, would work or widening the string hole; it's covered by the bridge. Spit ballin

I think it of course could be done. The main concern would be fishing the strings through up to the bridge accurately. You could route it and use a catalyzed filler and drill or filler with brass "straws" thru to guide the strings. You could get a plate style string retainer instead of ferrules.

The strings go thru the body, and those holes are already drilled to 2-7/32" so they won't line up with the holes in the 2-1/16" spaced bridge.
Maybe I'm overlooking something in your reply?

I was thinking that there may be a way to drill holes at a very slight slant so they still match up with the 2-7/32" centered ferrules.
Warmoth techs advised checking here to see if someone may have solved this.
'Sorry. My reply was only addressing the bridge itself, not ferrule holes in the body.

This one is pretty much as narrow as it gets...

Note...
This bridge can be mounted using vintage spec mounting holes. To do this, the string-thru holes must be enlarged from 1/8" to 3/16" (4.7mm). This allows the strings access to the narrower string holes in the base plate.

It will retrofit a vintage Fender hardtail bridge, but it only gets you to 2-1/8". If you really want 2-1/16", then it's best to plug the old holes and drilling new mounting and string-thru holes,

Last edited:
I think it of course could be done. The main concern would be fishing the strings through up to the bridge accurately. You could route it and use a catalyzed filler and drill or filler with brass "straws" thru to guide the strings. You could get a plate style string retainer instead of ferrules.
Those are a couple more very good ideas. I was originally thinking about teflon tubing for guiding the strings, but brass tubing might actually be easier to manage.
I also hadn't considered a plate style string retainer. Mostly cause I hadn't seen those. :) I'll look.

Thanks, everyone!

Back