ceriatone vs

crow55

hey guys,
                    ive been chating with nik from ceriatone and he says that the clones will be at least on par with the originals

i dont see how this plexi    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xVzBNIi_Tpw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xVzBNIi_Tpw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

could compare to this plexi <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NgbosBKYR-Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NgbosBKYR-Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

do they sound the same? i LOVE the second video tone!

also i mentioned i really like the marshall vintage modern. i like the balls to the wall tone slash got in this vid-<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTe-ZRwnoxo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTe-ZRwnoxo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nik said that the Ceraitone jcm would be at least on par. ive listened to clips of the ceria 800's and they do not have nearly as much gain

First off, you can't form a complete opinion based off of youTube vids, or any soundclips from the web. I agree they can be helpful in pursuit of what you're looking for (that's how I came to find out about my Mesa Boogie F-30), but not the be all end all. Case in point is the Ceriatone Plexi vs. Marshall Plexi. Comparing those amps based off of the 2 different videos is fundamentally flawed. In order to compare amps you have to use a controlled environment (same mic placement, same guitar, same riff, same player, etc...). Ok, I'll get off my soapbox ;)

As far as the 800's not having enough gain - have you ever played one? They're not high gain monsters, but with a boost, they DO do high gain very well. Personally I'd stay away from the newer Marshalls completely. If you want high gain Marshall tone look into the Mesa Stiletto line.

/end Mesa fanboi-ism

I'd bet the Ceritones would be on par with the originals.  The problem is that Slash's amp is probably modded, you don't know if there is a stomp box of some sort, and the cabinet probably has some Celestions that are not stock in it.  The type of cabinet, tubes, mods, speakers, and so on have a large effect on the sound.  And as it was said above, Youtube is compressed files made by crappy cameras and mics so the fidelity is questionable at best.  Not really comparable.  I built my own amp a while back because I was curious.  It has a preamp based on a Marshall sound.  I modded it along the way and ended up with an amp sound I like.  It is not as high gain as a Mesa, but it does have a lot more of the mids and classic high gain sound, not the Nu-Metal gain sound.  It is what I wanted.  If you are thinking of getting a Ceritone, mention the bands and songs you like to the guy and ask him for his suggestions.  The last thing is go and try some of these amps out before you buy, it makes a huge difference because it is hard to describe sounds with words.  Get some idea of what the amps you think you want sound like to you.  Good luck
Patrick

Did you expect the salesman at Ceriatone to tell you ANYTHING you didn't want to hear? That's why they're called SALESMEN....

+1 to judging amps from video clips

can you name a place that sells ceriatone amps? can you name a place that sells original JMP's?
when you find that place let me know.

with Ceriatone you're most likely just going to have to take a chance and hope you like it. If not you can always sell it and get a good price for it. I've seen them go on eBay for a bit less than new price, but still good.

like someone else said you should probably look into the JVM 410 - at least you can try one of them out. The features of them are very nice. No idea how they sound but a GC or some such place will most likely have them to try out.

i just dont have the need to for that much stuff. i mean 4 channels and 3 modes per channel? insane.
i dont doubt their good but thats just too much. i love the sound of a plexi and a jcm800. thats all i need
im going to alpha music here pretty soon and im gonna try a bunch of diff amps. they have a whole floor of marshalls.
ive already played through most of them but ill give them another try.

With the Plexi clone as a base, and a few well chosen pedals, you would be able to cover the sonic territory of both those amps. 

Like I said before,  I've got a` ceriatone 'plexi' and I love it.

I dont wish to get into any arguments here, but dont necessarily trust the new Marshalls, The JVM's might be OK (I've never tried one), but a mate of mine went through 3 marshall DSL's and TSL's.  He bought a TSL (Triple Super Lead) and it crapped out on him after a few weeks, he took ot back to the shop and swapped it (under warranty, fair play to the shop) for a DSL.  That crapped out on him a few weeks later.  Again he took it back to the shop, and tried a brand new straight, out of the cardboard shipping box, DSL. Wouldnt even switch on.  He eventually bought a Fender Hot Rod Deville, which worked perfectly for the whole time he had it. He eventually parted it  with another friend of mine for a early 80's JCM800 2x12 50W combo, cos he was smitten with the Marshall sound.  The Fender was fine, but not really the sound he was after.

In my (and his) experience, the older Marshall's are better.  As I say, the newer JVM's may be much improved, but the trouble he had put me off buying a 'new' Marshall ever again.  Not that I would anyway,  I love building stuff, and I'd be happy to go for anther Ceriatone Marshall-a-like or other model any day of the week..

just my opinions, your mileage may vary.  Dont let it put you off buying a new Marshall, just be wary, and make sure that any shop you buy from will honour the warranty if needed.

guitlouie said:
With the Plexi clone as a base, and a few well chosen pedals, you would be able to cover the sonic territory of both those amps. 
+1

I mentioned that it would be best to try a few amps and figure out what you like the best because every time I think I am sure I know what I want I am wrong.  It is good that you know the amp models that you like, and no, I do not know any shops that have them to play.  But ask the people what is most similar and ask about specific amps.  I know lots of musicians that have stuff for special occasions that is never for sale.  Owners of shops often have stuff from their rigs around.  Teachers often have stuff around.  But if you can play through it, you can get an idea about how much you like it.  I cannot support the idea of basing an amp purchase on youtube clips.  It might be the only way to hear a specific amp, but I have to mess with it first with my guitar, and play how I play.  Jim has one and can vouch for the amp doing what it is supposed to, but I would email Ceritone and ask them for some one or some place to try one.  They want the sale, make them work a bit for it.
Patrick

okay i told nik that im "having a hard time finding the right amp over youtube! It sucks that i can't play any of these amps anywhere. I'm just cautious of what amp i'm getting. It would be a real hassle to order an amp thinking it sounds awsome over the internet, but i get it together and its not what i thought it would be"
how do i get them to work for the sale?
maybe if pry enough i could get discount :0
i doubt it though

Hey, try this, call them up and ask them if they will send over one of each amp you are considering, free of charge of course, then tell them that you will only pay for the one that you decide to go with.  I'm sure it will work.

If you want them to work for the sale, say that you have heard good things from people that you know.  But, tell them that even so, you would have to play one first before committing to buying one.  Have them list some options for you.  Nothing there sounds unreasonable, and get them to find you one or time on one.
Patrick

so how can i benefit from having them struggle to sell an amp to me? i know they would find it quite contridicting bringing this up NOW. ive  talked to nik for quite some time now and ive never brought up anything blind purchasing.

I don't really know what you have said to the guys at Ceritone, and thus what might contradict that.  I am also confused with your line of reasoning.  You asked earlier if I knew of a place that you could play the amps at, the easiest way to find that is to ask.  The guys at Ceritone, I am guessing, want to sell you an amp you like.  I don't know why they would have a problem directing you towards one to play through.  If you are hell bent on buying an amp based on youtube clips, go for it.  But I, yes just me now, would ask about finding one to play first before paying for one.  I'd do that with any amp that was not something that I had to assemble.
Patrick

"I'd do that with any amp that was not something that I had to assemble."

Ceriatone sells DIY kits, not amps, they might hook you up with someone who will build it for you.

You should have picked up the tweed Bandmaster we told you to, like 12 threads ago. Stick an Xotic BB pedal in front of it you can get it to sound passably Marshall Plexi-like through a decent 4x10 or 4x12 cab. Stick a set of tube adapters with a set of GT-EL84s in it and it will really sound like a Marshall 18 watt head.

Drive out of whatever bumfuck place you live to somewhere somebody stocks high-end Marshall gear like JTM45s/handwired repro Plexis. These, or the Ceriatone equivalents are all essentially clones of the original vintage circuits, and while I would take JimH's evaluation of current production reliability to heart, are all going to sound pretty much the same if plugged into identical cabs.

And even if you flew to Australia and managed to get Angus Young to sell you his guitar and Plexi amp, you're still not going to sound like him; the nuance is all in the fingers.

Ceriatone also sells assembled amps - just for a bit more money. Still a good deal though. I've been lusting after an Overtone Special for a while now. Someday...

Back