Canary neck feeling a bit rough to touch

m165

I started to have this issue with my Canary unfinshed neck last year when the neck started to feel a bit rough in spots, had allready applied pure Tung oil, I very lightly sanded the rough spots out then applied more Tung oil, felt great for some time but has stared to happen again.

I did contact Warmoth about this and the guy I soke with said he did not know what might be causing the problem, only suggestion was to apply a finish, but not into that idea as I purchased Canary wood so I could leave it unfinshed. Just wondering if anybody else has had similar experience and any causes or solutions you may have found.

Thanks

Sounds like it would have to be the tung oil. My canary is raw and is SMOOOOOTH.

I wouldn't have used Tung Oil on canary, but too late.....

I've got a couple of canary necks and this has never been an issue; had I encounter such, I would have just gone over the neck with a #180 3M flexible sanding pad, followed by a #320.

The rough spots on the neck appeared before the firrst aplication of tung oil. I didnt describe this properly in first post. Will try and sand it out and see how it goes, have used a reputable brand of oil (Liberon).

I've got a raw canary neck as well.  It hasn't developed any rough spots (yet) but then again it is less than one year old.

I have rubbed it with a rag that had a bit of pure lemon oil in it, which added a nice subtle shine to the wood but didn't take away from the raw feeling.

Have you tried rubbing it with some fine steel wool?  Do the rough spots seem to be resinous or sticky?

I like the 3M pads, too. They function like steel wool, but no wires everywhere - it's like the green scrapey pads you use to wash dishes, but it comes in different grades.

Back