Burst Progress

Tonar8352

I finished rubbing this burst out.  Now I have to rub out the neck and she will be ready to put together and send off to my favorite fret file. I like using McFadden’s Lacquer more than any other; this thing rubbed out so nice and is a mile deep.

IMG_2364.jpg

This is a good shot of the burst banding.  The dark color is not as wide as it looks when you see it close up.

IMG_2368.jpg

I love those old beat up Bakelite Pickup covers.  Don't tell anyone but they are brand new.
IMG_2369.jpg

Another beautiful finish from the master!  Tonar, I want you to buy this just so I can see how you finish it...

LPC111a.jpg

Thank you.  That is a beautiful piece of wood.  Stay tuned for the thinline, it will be close to how I would do that Lester.  I’m still making sure on my yellow dye.  I’m not 100 percent sure if I want to use the yellows I currently have.  I’m checking out some other sources for yellows.

Max I think that Lester is calling your name.

That looks incredible! Do you spray the lacquer with a spray gun or by the spray cans? I'm using deft clear on a warmoth jazzmaster I just painted with dupont black base coat, I have both the spray cans and a quart of the deft gloss clear, I did my first guitar with the spray cans and it worked out after sanding with 1000 grit wet dry before buffing, will spraying with a gun produce a better finish that just need buffing?

Paul.

Tonar8353 said:
...I like using McFadden’s Lacquer more than any other; this thing rubbed out so nice and is a mile deep. 

Continue doing/using what (obviously) works so very well! Gorgeous - and the finish does look a mile deep  :guitaristgif:

Tonar8353 said:
Thank you.  That is a beautiful piece of wood.  Stay tuned for the thinline, it will be close to how I would do that Lester.  I’m still making sure on my yellow dye.  I’m not 100 percent sure if I want to use the yellows I currently have.  I’m checking out some other sources for yellows.

Max I think that Lester is calling your name.
Not exactly what I'd love in a LP, but close  :)
I'm sure you could make it into something I'd love, but I'm not ready for dying. I want a Joe Perry-style tiger stripe finish, a faded cherry sunburst, or your tobaccoburst on a LP. (Nows the chance to revive the fantasy build thread :p )

Oh, and that strat is awesome. I can only hope that what I'm building will come out with a clearcoat that nice. I hope coloring goes well too..

Rubbing out the neck today.  Here is a shot of the wood on the headstock.  Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish is the way to go.  You should see the gloss in person.

IMG_2376.jpg

Very impressive!  That's going to be one very very nice strat.

Now you just need to build yourself a burst B-bender tele :)

That's just a 5A birdseye neck. Warmoth has some real killer birdseye in stock; the two bass necks I've gotten have practically that much figure at 3A Showcase pricing.  Nice guitar necks, too:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=TN1999&menuItem=4&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0&neckWood_filter=16&fingerBoardWood_filter=16

Next step is the boiled oil finish on the back of the neck.  Remember, Warmoth will not warranty this type of finish.

Here is the neck sanded and ready to oil.

IMG_2386.jpg

Here it is with the first coat of oil.  Only 12 or 15 more to go.

IMG_2389.jpg

C'mon Tonar, WHERE THE HELL you find those necks?
You ask for what 18A Birdseye???

I use my BIRDseye Maple Dog to help search out the good ones.  :icon_tongue:

IMG_2405.jpg

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that staring at that sunburst could make you go blind...

Tonar8353 said:
I use my BIRDseye Maple Dog to help search out the good ones.  :icon_tongue:
So time to call my friend from Amazon forest to help hunt those birds :icon_thumright:  :laughing7:
Onca.jpg

I met a genie the other day, he granted me one wish, I said I wanted to be able to drive to hawaii, because I hate flyin and boats are slow. The Genie flipped out, "are you mad? do you know the resources I'd have to pull outta my arse to do that? Build a bridge to hawaii? " he said no way
Pick another wish. So i said I wanna be able to aplly a finnish like Tonar, he said "How many lanes on that bridge do you want"

Alfang said:
I met a genie the other day, he granted me one wish, I said I wanted to be able to drive to hawaii, because I hate flyin and boats are slow. The Genie flipped out, "are you mad? do you know the resources I'd have to pull outta my arse to do that? Build a bridge to hawaii? " he said no way
Pick another wish. So i said I wanna be able to aplly a finnish like Tonar, he said "How many lanes on that bridge do you want"
Nice one :icon_thumright:

Back