Budget LP for my son

NonsenseTele said:
How came it from blue to green?? :eek:

I am not real sure...I used a ReRanch Tobacco brown 1st then sanded back.  I then applied the blue wich was very blue as you can see.  It was a little too "solid' for me so I decided to take a little off and used some 0000 steel wool.  As I too it off it producred a greenish color.  It still looked blue but had some green tones.  As soon as the clear hit it, it popped this Emerald color.  My son may have wanted a blue guitar but this color ROCKS!  The Emerald even complements the mahogany better too.  It is Very rick looking.  Sometimes mistake turn out for the best. 

already looking to get a custom neckplate..."EMERALD L.P."

The brown has black and yellow in it, the blue plus the yellow in the dyes give you the starting material for green.  Why it did it after the steel wool, I dunno.  But if you used Ethanol or acetone on it, it will blend quite a bit.  I have been messing with the ReRanch alcohol soluble dyes quite a bit, and you can get it to do that kind of stuff pretty easily.
Patrick

there is the answer...I mixed the brown in mineral spirits...I did not like the finish it gave but I figured no big deal since I was sanding it off.  The blue I used denatured alcohol and it went on nice.  Still not sure why it turned green later...maybe the sanding took off the only layer of pure blue...

either way...I love the finish.....working thru nitro now...more pics to follow.

here is the last of the nitro.  I will let it cure for about 3-4 week then polish...any recomendations??

Yeah, I've got a recommendation... put it in a box and send it to me.  :toothy10:

dbw said:
Yeah, I've got a recommendation... put it in a box and send it to me.   :toothy10:

dbw...I do not know ...I think you got me beat!  Yours and all the killer LPs on the site inspired me!  They beat ANYTHING gibson ever produced (as far a beauty)!  I just hope my soloist goes as well!  This forus has some tough standards...real works of art... :icon_thumright:

That is one seriously beautiful finish! I think it's great that it can be called "budget" with a straight face, it looks like a million dollars.

kboman said:
That is one seriously beautiful finish! I think it's great that it can be called "budget" with a straight face, it looks like a million dollars.

Plus we haven't even seen it rubbed out yet.  It'll be killer!  It almost needs gold hardware with that emerald color.

Blue313 said:
kboman said:

Plus we haven't even seen it rubbed out yet.  It'll be killer!  It almost needs gold hardware with that emerald color.

sorry..I went with black...this guitar will be played a lot and I hate the way the gold hardware on my tele looks when playing a lot...

I do agree...as a show piece...GOLD would rule

I would do it, but with black pickups....
PICT5016.jpg

Made by an English luthier, Jonathan from Feline guitars

*****************Thread hi-jack in progress.**********************

That green dyed top with no burst over on Birdseye maple is beautiful!  That will look great on a J-Bass with black pickguard and blocked and bound neck.

Back