Budget LP for my son

since you have seen my pics and and the nitro cures, I am debating to use a pickguard or not.  I really like the look without...but here are my issues:

how will the nitro hold up?  This is a 10 year old playing...remember
Also...there is a small inperfection in the wood that could not be sanded or filled without looking silly.  the pickguard will cover it.

I will post some photos...

If the small finish imperfection doesn't bother your son, I would let it go, it's eventually gonna get play wear in it. It would almost be a shame to cover up any part of that finish.

I think that should be covered up. Smite me if you disagree, but I think that mark takes a lot away from the guitar's look.

Maybe you should take a poll, could you get a full shot of the front from a couple feet away?

emmaporkchop said:
Maybe you should take a poll, could you get a full shot of the front from a couple feet away?

already did....
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=5226.msg61143#msg61143

After looking at the pictures, I still like it better without. I normally like having the pickguard on LP's better, I just think your's looks great without one.

I'd have copious amounts of joy if my dad did that, but the neck that my mum ordered me for christmas, dad payed for, so i'm pretty happy.

very nice build :icon_thumright:

So is that one of the "no drilling" pickguards?  Did it fit out of the box?

dbw said:

It did.  however, I did not already have the pickups mounted.  I basicially snapped it on over the covers, positioned, and mounted.  Since there is a just a little bit of play when mounting, it was fine.  however, if you PUs are already mounted, and they are off just a bit from the dimentions of the guard, you may have to adjust.  To answer the original question before..the was planty of room in the Warmoth routing to use this setup.

dmraco said:
dbw said:

It did.  however, I did not already have the pickups mounted.  I basicially snapped it on over the covers, positioned, and mounted.  Since there is a just a little bit of play when mounting, it was fine.  however, if you PUs are already mounted, and they are off just a bit from the dimentions of the guard, you may have to adjust.  To answer the original question before..the was planty of room in the Warmoth routing to use this setup.
For some reason, i'm seriously thinking about one of those on my soloist.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
dmraco said:
dbw said:

if should work if it is a carved top...

dmraco said:
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
dmraco said:
dbw said:

if should work if it is a carved top...
no it's not, darn it.

Back