Budget LP for my son

dmraco

Master Member
Solid Mahogany body with flame maple top, Wilkinson whammy route...$199
Maple Neck with Rosewood...$179

Makeing this for my 10 year old...REAL LP have too think a neck for his 10 year old hands.  I am guessing the body was so cheap because of the odd routing for the controls and lower grade maple.  I will keep everone posted on the progress

I am goint to wait to see how the finish turns our before I go pickguard.  There seems to be an odd grain there but could look cool when finished.  If it does not...black pickguard for sure.  I will be using all Black hardware.

My son wants a blue dye front with black dye back.  I just go the first coat of grain seal applied...

Nice looking body and neck.  I wish I could get my 13 year old to take up the guitar.  Unfortunately he shows no interest.  Maybe someday....

that is one lucky 10 year old, and one cool dad.  if only my dad made warmoths when i was 10!!!    cool thing is that the quality is right up there even though the price isnt.  :headbang:

Neil Stryker said:
that is one lucky 10 year old, and one cool dad.   if only my dad made warmoths when i was 10!!!     cool thing is that the quality is right up there even though the price isnt.   :headbang:

Yeah...that is what I figued.  I am going to run DiMarzio P/Us with 2 volume and 1 tone nob.  If you notice the 3 way will go where one of the knobs usually sits.  It is not completely foreign set up..I think PRS does this too.  Baby even has a contour heel.  I have to yell at him to keep him off my Warmoth Tele so this would keep him occupied to MANY YEARS!!!

BTW...Second coat of grain fill just applied.

here are some update picks.

I "antiqued" the birdseye maple neck with dark brown dye then back saned certain areas.  I then stained with minwax RED OAK.    On the body, I used the same brown dye for the top, heavilly back sanded, and used BLUE DYE.  The Mahogany of the body was the same RED OAK. 

The Blue is CRYING FOR CLEAR.  becasue of the antiquing of the neck, the colors of the maple neck and mahogany body match very well.  I left the side binding unfinished with the exception of the initial bown dye.  I will let it dry for a few days and add the clear.

I will need to get a pickguard.  I am not happy with the grain around the neck PU.  the pickgard will cover it nicely.

dmraco said:
here are some update picks.

I "antiqued" the birdseye maple neck with dark brown dye then back saned certain areas.  I then stained with minwax RED OAK.    On the body, I used the same brown dye for the top, heavilly back sanded, and used BLUE DYE.  The Mahogany of the body was the same RED OAK. 

The Blue is CRYING FOR CLEAR.  becasue of the antiquing of the neck, the colors of the maple neck and mahogany body match very well.  I left the side binding unfinished with the exception of the initial bown dye.  I will let it dry for a few days and add the clear.

I will need to get a pickguard.  I am not happy with the grain around the neck PU.  the pickgard will cover it nicely.

no no no no nooo this must be a nightmare! this axe is somewhat like the dream-guitar of my girlfriend, and I dig it too!! man, i'd give a kidney for this one. I love the top! i dont think its horrible or that the brownish stripe is ugly. i love it! too bad I dont have one dime....

keep up the good work!and yeah, I seriously recommend the tremel-no (and a hipshot instead of the wilkie trem. most of the time, that thing is cheaper too!)

this one is going to be cheap...for a custom.... :doh:
body...$199
Neck..$159
whammy..$120
2 DiMarzio Pickups...$140
Machine heads...$50
Misc Hardware...$70

I figure about $750 finished.  I guess it is a lot of $$ but it is not bad for a lam-top mahogany LP with a whammy and GOOD pickups....  A decent Epiphone would have run me at least $600 and the pickups would not give sound he wants and have no whammy for my dive bombing 10 year old!  I also needed a smaller neck for his hands.  The standard LP neck is just too think.

Plus...this is just too much fun!!!

dmraco said:
this one is going to be cheap...for a custom.... :doh:
body...$199
Neck..$159
whammy..$120
2 DiMarzio Pickups...$140
Machine heads...$50
Misc Hardware...$70

I figure about $750 finished.  I guess it is a lot of $$ but it is not bad for a lam-top mahogany LP with a whammy and GOOD pickups....  A decent Epiphone would have run me at least $600 and the pickups would not give sound he wants and have no whammy for my dive bombing 10 year old!  I also needed a smaller neck for his hands.  The standard LP neck is just too think.

Plus...this is just too much fun!!!

don't tell me about it. I was able to make myself 2 warmoth customs for 750 euro's (thats like 1100$), but with unfinished necks (wenge, padouk), ebony fingerboards, MOP inlay, AAA flame top and a AAAAA double lam quilt top (this one was cheappppp, dirt cheap, actually).

but man, I'd love to have this one!

here is an updated pic after 3 coats of nitro. 

I sanded back the body a bit with 0000 Steel wool to let some of the natural grain show thru.  This gave me an odd Emerald color (probably because of the medium brown base).  I did not like it at first but it really popped when cleared.  I am very pleased...very unique...

Back