BRY jazz bass

Gotcha, Rgand.  Some musings.

I've built three so far.  Here's what I would keep doing.  And maybe change.

Some hardware notes:  All three have used the Babicz bridge and Hipshot ultralight tuners.  If and when I do another, I'll keep using those.  Home run.  The 17.5 mm tuner ream is just a bit big for the Hipshots, so I ended up wrapping a little metal foil tape around the bushings to snug them up.  Not noticeable at all.

Body style:  My first and second builds were chambered bodies.  This caused me a little aggravation as I'm doing active electronics in all of them.  And all need a battery.  Chambered bodies will not allow for an addition of a battery box, at least showcase bodies.  In the first, a front rout, it means I need to remove the control plate to change batteries, as the battery is within that control rout.  In the second, a rear rout, I made a cutout in the control cavity plate to allow me to install a shallow, horizontal style battery box.  In the third, a solid body, Warmoth routed me a battery box.  If and when I do another, it will be a solid body, regardless of front or rear control rout, just for the battery box.

Electronics:  I've got two Audere systems and one John East.  The Auderes are a front rout Jazz drop-in and a classic modular system with noise cancellation.  All are solid systems.  The John East is quite a bit more expensive.  I recommend any of them.  If you're doing a P bass, the module is the only way to fly, as neither seem to offer a P bass "drop in" option.  Probably because the P bass has the controls mounted to the pickguard.

Necks:  The first one I did was a roasted maple/ebony, thin profile jazz neck.  It is my least favorite.  I've got it paired with the rear rout body, the lightest of the bunch.  It has the smaller sized tuners, which I consider a mistake.  The next was a bubinga/ebony, standard profile jazz from the showcase.  Very nice neck, a bit heavy, and caused too much neck heaviness on the lighter body, so I swapped it to a heavier body.  The third pau ferro/pau ferro, standard profile from the showcase.  Also fantastic, and I'm not sure which one I prefer yet.  Pau ferro as a shaft wood seems rarer than others for basses, and it's not a custom option, while there's currently much more wenge, bubinga, etc available.  I think I got lucky.  Again, I'd stick to the 17.5 mm tuners.  For the heavier necks I recommend a body heavier than 5 lbs.  I'm considering replacing the roasted maple/ebony with a roasted maple/roasted maple standard profile with the 17.5 mm tuner ream, which I think would pair nicely with my lighter body.  I did the stainless 6150 fretwire and Tusq nuts in all of them.  No problems there.

Pups:  Three completely different setups.  First, a set of Nordstrand NJ4SE.  Warm sounding.  I know they are split coils attempting to emulate single coils, but they are much warmer than single coils.  However, I love these pups, absolutely adore the sound they have.  And being splits, they are noiseless.  The second, a set of Fralin standard single coils.  These are paired with the Audere system that has a noise cancellation coil.  This bass has a place with me, it's just not my favorite.  The third is the Lace Alumitones, and you've seen where that discussion went.  I do think this one has the stuff to move into first place.

Strings:  I may have different tastes than a lot of other people, but in my string trials my favorites are the DR Legends, at least so far.  I love their tone, and the smooth feel.  I'm still wanting to try the Thomastik flatwounds.

I recommend taking this information for what it's worth.  I've only been playing for a little over a year.  I'm a noodler who sits in his basement and plays along with the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Ben E King, John Mayer, and a lot of stuff from the 50s and 60s.  I just happen to also love building my own instruments.  I've got a couple friends with bands who let me into their rehearsals sometimes to play a few songs they and I know.  So, if your friend is a punker or into acid rock, don't look to me for tone advice.

Thanks for all the good information. Your advice is good. He used to play guitar in the 70's or 80's but hasn't done anything since then. He wants to jump back in on a bass next. I'll copy your post and send it to him so he'll know what works for you. That will give him some direction. Many thanks.

Back