Help me design my next bass?

ghotiphry said:
It's now come down to three bodies, the white, the candy red, and i think I prefer the tobacco of the two burst types. 

I didn't see a candy red one. Are you talking about the black cherry one? If so, I'll warn you ahead of time the pictures of that finish look better than the live version, at least to me. The "metallic" part of the description should read "metal flake", as that more accurately describes it. I have a Tele body with that finish on it, and I've never been able to get away from the "carnival ride" impression I get every time I look at it.

Of course, if you happen to enjoy metal flake finishes, then it's gorgeous.

Cagey said:
ghotiphry said:
It's now come down to three bodies, the white, the candy red, and i think I prefer the tobacco of the two burst types. 

I didn't see a candy red one. Are you talking about the black cherry one? If so, I'll warn you ahead of time the pictures of that finish look better than the live version, at least to me. The "metallic" part of the description should read "metal flake", as that more accurately describes it. I have a Tele body with that finish on it, and I've never been able to get away from the "carnival ride" impression I get every time I look at it.

Of course, if you happen to enjoy metal flake finishes, then it's gorgeous.

Thanks, Cagey.  You actually nailed my biggest concern about that body color.  I kind of have that same feeling about the candy green.  Okay, white or tobacco...  Kinda strange, i go a little crazy trying different things, and I circle back to two very classic looks.

Their "candy" colors get a different base than the metallic or metal flake ones. It's more uniform, and doesn't look like a flake finish. I'm not sure how they do it, but I suspect they put on a silver base, then cover that with a color-tinted clear, then a water clear over that. I had a candy tangerine Strat from them that was just stunning. I had to sell it after receiving an offer I couldn't refuse, but intend to get another one. Maybe a candy red this time. Did one of those for somebody else and it was also impossibly beautiful. What could possibly be wrong with a candy red Jazzmaster?  :laughing7:

JMP735c.jpg

As the owner of examples of Warmoth's candy red, candy tangerine and candy green, I say avoid them at all costs. Horrible things. I've taken it upon myself to try to save you all from the inevitable embarrassment and remorse following purchase.

Seriously though, with that (lovely) neck, I like the vintage white a lot and the tobacco burst just slightly more. I'd go with a dark 'guard with either - brown tort* with the white and either the same or black with the burst.

*If you feel like pushing the boat out have a look at Spitfire Pickguards.

Wow.  Now I am really confused.  Cagey says they are beautiful, Fat Pete says to avoid the candy stuff at all costs.  Fat Pete, what makes them so terrible?

I think Fat Pete was making a wise-acre remark along the lines of "Please don't throw me in that briar patch."

Image search on that phrase, by the way, yielded this gem:

1493138_10152128299511368_987807368_n.jpg

What about the Candy Apple Red with a woodgrain pickguard to match the neck?  Might look pretty darn cool if it can be done. 

Wow, Fat Pete, Bagman, that went completely over my head.  Seriously, what some people love, others hate.

Fat Pete, after looking over your GOY, how can you even say that about candy red?  :toothy12:

Can you get a pau ferro pickguard?

Fat Pete said:
Seriously though, with that (lovely) neck, I like the vintage white a lot and the tobacco burst just slightly more. I'd go with a dark 'guard with either - brown tort* with the white and either the same or black with the burst.

This?
uPi70gj.jpg

The good news is Leo designed these suckers so you can switch out the components if you decide you're less happy with an axe than you hoped you'd be.  To paraphrase one of Cagey's aphorisms, eventually you have to lock the design engineer in a closet and go to production.  Fix what you can't live with in version 2.0.

ghotiphry said:
Fat Pete, after looking over your GOY, how can you even say that about candy red?  :toothy12:

Can you get a pau ferro pickguard?

He's kidding. There's a very well-done photo series on that guitar here.

These guys look like they could scratch a Pau Ferro pickguard itch.

Yeah, I finally got that he was kidding.  I was just saying since he got a GOY with a candy red tele (before my time, fantastic guitar) to even joke about it would make the gods of candy red guitars rise up and smite.

I looked at a pau ferro wood PG for a bit, just downloading some images and puting them in the masked area.  I think it detracts from the neck.  Maybe I haven't found the right piece of wood, but I think I'm headed down the wrong street with the nat'l wood.

l96rInI.jpg

I've seen some really nice wooden pickguards, but usually they look much better on their own than they do on a guitar/bass. It always sounds like a good idea, but in practice they're either clashing with the body, the neck, or both.

I think that too often the temptation/tendency with a custom guitar/bass is to go overboard on everything, just because you can. You've finally made the decision to splurge, so you go all out. But, sometimes, less is more.

BYR with the Vintage Pearl. In fact I was sort of toying with changing the guard on my strat to VP. As usual, more ideas than money.......  :icon_thumright:

OK, Now that I saw the wood pickguard I think maybe I was wrong.  Although the color is off a bit and it might look ok with just the right piece of wood.......but then again......hmmmmm.  Now my head hurts.

Bagman67 said:
The good news is Leo designed these suckers so you can switch out the components if you decide you're less happy with an axe than you hoped you'd be.  To paraphrase one of Cagey's aphorisms, eventually you have to lock the design engineer in a closet and go to production.  Fix what you can't live with in version 2.0.
Yeah, but I hope to at least get the body color right.  Okay, on that front I have three favorites, in no particular order: candy red, alpine white, and tobacco burst.  I was leaning towards doing a solid color this time: I've already got two bases where the predominant color is brown, but there's enough BRY and tobacco votes to make me take the burst seriously.

I've been wanting to do a P/J as my next project.  I've discovered Lace pickups, and am reading good reviews, plus I just think they look f**ing cool as hell.  Added to mockups, which also looked better with chrome knobs.  Three finalists here:

iV7af7f.jpg

y5tzTff.jpg

uy26K8k.jpg

You guys have been great with this, and with my indecision, and I really appreciate all the comments.  I'm still in no rush to go to production.  I'll get there.  Eventually.

With all the chrome - which I think looks really cool - I think it's a bit of a shame to have a pickguard that is all together different from the body/neck/pickups hardware. Be it white, pearl, black or tortoise.
And that's why I started thinking about having a chrome pickguard. What say you? Could that be something?
A bit like in the style of Phil Lynott:
7262ac96cbb188192d7f40edf537c031.jpg

Back