Help me design my next bass?

Logrinn said:
With all the chrome - which I think looks really cool - I think it's a bit of a shame to have a pickguard that is all together different from the body/neck/pickups hardware. Be it white, pearl, black or tortoise.
And that's why I started thinking about having a chrome pickguard. What say you? Could that be something?
A bit like in the style of Phil Lynott:
7262ac96cbb188192d7f40edf537c031.jpg

Pure Class!!!

Would love it if the P & J pickups could have the Chrome P/U covers too!

Again, the pickguard can be changed later... Tone-guard anodized aluminum, anyone?  They do custom work.  Looks better to me on the red and white than on tobacco.  The red and aluminum might just be my favorite iteration to date, actually. 

wL738HF.jpg

ZCCCGgj.jpg

I0ZSfx8.jpg

Here's an image of the Lace pickups.  Not all, but mostly chrome.
Nho5kcA.png

I'm partial to the red body, but I think I'd put a white pickguard on it. Barring that, the brushed aluminum looks better than the vintage pearl, although I suspect it would be a fingerprint magnet.

Cagey said:
I'm partial to the red body, but I think I'd put a white pickguard on it. Barring that, the brushed aluminum looks better than the vintage pearl, although I suspect it would be a fingerprint magnet.
I would definitely go with some variant of white with the candy red.

Apologies if the intent of my previous post wasn't clear. I'm British so just assume everything I say is a joke - especially if it isn't funny - except the things that aren't - and the things that are/were/elephants.

No apology necessary, Fat Pete.  I had a good laugh at myself.  And thanks, Vetteman, and everyone else I haven't named in a reply.  I really appreciate the input and feedback.  Oh, Cagey?  Guitars are supposed to have fingerprints on them.  They look better that way.

The only options I'm seeing for chrome pickup covers is the ash tray look.  I've never been a big fan of that, especially if I'm doing something different with the bridge and pickups other than standard Fender.  Aka this stuff:
M2bWXf8.jpg

My head still hurts, guys.  I'm going on vacation for a bit, and won't do anything until I get back.  Hopefully things will gel in my mind.  Too many good looking options to me right now.

A little charcoal frost and anodized aluminum, anyone?  :toothy10: :toothy11: :toothy12: :laughing7: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

G72ORgF.jpg

God in heaven.  I do love flame maple.  WHY do they do THIS to me.  I'm all set to do a solid color body and they drop this in the showcase.  This might as well be my own GAS thread here.  I'm sorry, guys, I should stop posting.  I just can't leave it alone.  On top of it all, this may be one of the nicest looking flame maple tops in existence on the planet.  I like it equally with tortoise and cream.

L8wEiMP.jpg

bLPonqo.jpg

ghotiphry said:
God in heaven.  I do love flame maple.  WHY do they do THIS to me.  I'm all set to do a solid color body and they drop this in the showcase.  This might as well be my own GAS thread here.  I'm sorry, guys, I should stop posting.  I just can't leave it alone.  On top of it all, this may be one of the nicest looking flame maple tops in existence on the planet.  I like it equally with tortoise and cream.

L8wEiMP.jpg

bLPonqo.jpg

Okay, with an outrageous French accent:

I told them I've already got one!

frenchtaunter.jpg

Stay the course, man.  Opaque colors.  Fat Pete will support you, as will I.

Bagman67 said:
Okay, with an outrageous French accent:

I told them I've already got one!

frenchtaunter.jpg

Stay the course, man.  Opaque colors.  Fat Pete will support you, as will I.

:toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

But....  But.... Um.  But....  Just look at the bones...

QepjLH3.jpg

ghotiphry said:
A little charcoal frost and anodized aluminum, anyone?  :toothy10: :toothy11: :toothy12: :laughing7: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: :redflag:

G72ORgF.jpg
Charcoal Frost gets my vote. In fact, you opened my eyes to it. Maybe in a future build... :icon_thumright:

ghotiphry said:

G72ORgF.jpg

I too love this charcoal version. Wicked!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
And with an anodized control plate to match of course. You can't mix chrome and anodized aluminum, now can you?

Logrinn said:
And with an anodized control plate to match of course. You can't mix chrome and anodized aluminum, now can you?

But, of course, that just kinda goes without saying!

Still chrome knobs, though.

QX24w2u.jpg

Well, I'm thinking of doing a John East preamp in this one.  And their knobs are too fantastic not to use.

QPodS49.jpg

Besides, the bridge will be chrome too.

Back