Boatback

I don't know. Can you?  :icon_biggrin:

There's enough meat on there to allow it to be done...

Boat.jpg

...but if it was me I'd wonder if I was going to grind through the skunk stripe. Might be a question better asked of Warmoth. They would know if the channel is deep enough to allow that sort of thing.

Sounds like a lot of work, sanding it down, re-finishing it again and you'd have to strip the rest of the finish or else it might not match.

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a standard neck size and sell the Warmoth neck?

weplaymusic said:
Hi!

I have a Warmoth boatneck (Vintage/modern Const.).
Can I change it to Standard thin?

Regards,

Jaemin

You will ruin the neck. There's a lot of difference between these two neck profiles.

I don't see why not. ... Make it custom to your own shape.  I say go for it, take pics let us know what happens... If it doesn't work ... Just buy  a new neck

Seems like a waste of a perfectly good neck. Sell it, and buy something more appropriate.

Sand it and keep sanding it down until it feels right.  I did it on several nice guitars that had slightly beefy necks that didn't feel right.  It will kill resale value but it might make a player.

Do as you wish but use caution. An actual standard thin is a pretty thin, flat neck compared to a boatneck. I've gone the route of selling and replacing a couple of times. But if you are up for a project just move slowly and accept the risk if it doesn't pan out.

What kind of neck wood is it?  what's the nut width? What are the frets?

If it's something interesting, I'll buy it off you.  Then you can just get the neck you want.

I wouldn't recommend sanding your Boat down to a Standard Thin. There appears to be more wood to work with on these neck profiles, but underneath the truss rod has been located closer to the surface than you might think. The truss rod channel on Boat and Fatback necks are cut deeper.  This helps facilitate adjustment on a thicker neck. 

Back