Black Korina V, Wenge/Ebony Neck

jmohil

The UPS guy just delivered the goods for my latest project

The wenge neck is SWEET.    I've never even seen wenge before, but it sounded like something I'd like so I went for it.   Feels wonderful...I absolutely cannot wait to play on it.

The V body is looking pretty good too.   Gotta love Korina!

2487772481_f57ea2151d_b.jpg
2487847185_591a60c169_b.jpg

I hate this guitar. c'mon! this is just.....

my dream-flying vee  :icon_thumright: :kewlpics: :rock-on: :redflag:

the neck is just p*rn, the body too! a nice tobaccoburst would've set it off just greatly, gold pickups (BBQ set!!) gold hardware, no pickguard (just as you have it!), perhaps block or celtic cross inlay (just my taste, but I just dont like no inlay, haha) but this is equally cool. perhaps the nicest Vee i've ever seen! Can you tell us when its finished if the neck is wobbly? for some strange reason I've got the idea that bolt-on Vee's dont have a really solid neck-body attachment...  :dontknow:

I ordered all black hardware with it: tonepros bridge, schaller locking tuners, and have a Rio Grande Texas/BBQ set on order (black, of course).   I'm planning to do a pure tung oil finish, without completely filling the grains so that it has a natural feel to it.   The grain is relatively tight for korina, so we'll see how that works.   Hopefully it'll turn out nice.   

On the wobbly neck question: I did stick the neck on there and noticed that it didn't sit quite as tight as my other (non-V) guitars and shifted a little bit when it wasn't bolted....there's just not as much wood on the sides to keep it in place.    Once I bolted it on though, it seemed really solid so I think it should be fine.  Will keep you posted!

That is totally sweet  - - love the fretboard. I'd like to see the body with a clear color but to each his own. It's going to be killer.

About the neck pocket. I have a Warmoth Star shape guitar and from what I can tell the neck pocket is exactly the same. I never had a problem with the neck and I had the guitar assembled for 18 years and it was a total beater guitar. No case, and I just had it lying around most of the time, or just leaning against the wall. Never noticed any looseness at all, and this is on an unfinished basswood body - VERY soft wood. Unless you go nuts bending the neck like I used to do on my Iceman, I doubt there would be any problem at all.

Man that's hot.  I'm gonna do a V next, and the only difference is that I want the tone/vol control routs slightly different...  And I can't make up my mind on wood/finish  :laughing7:

But I wanted to see one up close with HXH and Recessed TOM, and thanks to you I can see how sweet it really is!  :eek:ccasion14:

You inspired me.  I "won" a Warmoth black korina WGD on E-bay today.  I faxed in an order for a wenge neck with macassar ebony fingerboard. 

DocNrock said:
You inspired me.  I "won" a Warmoth black korina WGD on E-bay today.  I faxed in an order for a wenge neck with macassar ebony fingerboard. 

Excellent!  Glad I was able to inspire a little GAS...makes me feel like I made a good choice!

Very nice, the contrasting woods should look awesome together....Let me know when it's done and I'll give you my address so you cansend it to me....Thanx for building my axe for me....... :laughing7:

But seriously, looks like it could use a custom neckplate in black too..... :toothy12:

Can you tell us when its finished if the neck is wobbly? for some strange reason I've got the idea that bolt-on Vee's dont have a really solid neck-body attachment...

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Sweet guitar man. :icon_thumright: Can't wait to see the finished product. Haven't had many Vees round these parts.  :toothy10:

That makes up my mind on Wenge [hell yes]. Been thinking of a V also and wondered about the pocket. It looks like the other V has a bit more wood around the pocket? Either way your axe is just killer. Awesome.  :party07: :party07:

I need an update on this one. What's going on? I've been waiting to see this guitar completed.

I'm considering a wenge neck -- worried that it will be too heavy for a swamp ash explorer.

Back