Chambered Strat style
Black korina on black korina
Maple neck, ebony fretboard
TV Jones Starwood Strat pickups on neck and middle
TV Jones Classic on the bridge
Mojo tone wiring/electronics
Schaller locking tuners
Grotoh vintage 6 hole tremolo

Assembly has been fun and fairly straightforward. This is my first attempt at a build so am learning a lot and have had to buy some extra stuff I didn't realize I needed from the start.
I snapped one of the Schaller threaded sleeves, which I do NOT recommend! (Photo attached)
I couldn't find a repair shop to sell me just the part so through a lot of determination and phone calls I got a hold of Schaller Germany who finally agreed to send me a replacement part.

As soon as the part is here I will have the project complete and will be ready to go. Can't wait to play this thing

Thanks for checking it out!

Attachments

• IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3175.JPG
    IMG_3175.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3104.JPG
    IMG_3104.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
That is looking really good. Bummer about the threaded sleeve but glad to hear you found a replacement. looking forward to seeing finished pics.

It's looking great! I'll look forward to hearing what you think about those pickups. Speaking of pickups I see a Super Switch in there, any wild plans for it?

Of all things, I really like that football jack plate. I've always used an Electrosocket for side jacks but seeing that I might have to give one a whirl.

That's unfortunate about the tuner, what led to that? Not sure if it applies here but note that if you are having to use excessive force to get the tuner in place you might want to spend some time working on the mounting hole. A busted tuner is bad, but a busted headstock would be much worse...

I broke one of those threaded bushings once myself. They're a lot easier to break than you might  think. When mine broke, it surprised the hell out of me because I wasn't torquing down on the thing at all. They're pretty thin-walled little parts that are threaded, so maybe the thread line becomes a weak point? Dunno. I couldn't find replacement parts, either. Had to buy another set of tuners, so now I've got shorted set in the Drawer of Misfit Parts.

Out of curiousity, I went looking for that incomplete set to see if there was any evidence those bushings are cast. Mold lines, flash, etc. Couldn't see any, but for some odd reason I kept the original broken one...

IMG_0413_Sm_zpsj5d0h1ly.jpg

As you can see, they're awfully thin. They break right along the gully of a thread line, where the wall is thinnest.

stratamania said:
chapogrelo said:
Aren't the rubber pipes under the pickups screws supposed to be under the rings?

That would be the usual approach for them.

Thanks for noticing this guys, like I said this is my first build and have definitely made some amateur mistakes like that one, but overall it is finishing nicely.  All fixed up  :bananaguitar:

Attachments

• IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
Cagey said:
Out of curiousity, I went looking for that incomplete set to see if there was any evidence those bushings are cast. Mold lines, flash, etc. Couldn't see any, but for some odd reason I kept the original broken one...

IMG_0413_Sm_zpsj5d0h1ly.jpg

As you can see, they're awfully thin. They break right along the gully of a thread line, where the wall is thinnest.

I believe they are cast from a mold. Each tuner has a number correlating with what I believe could be mold numbers. Here's a pic

Attachments

• IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Verne Bunsen said:
It's looking great! I'll look forward to hearing what you think about those pickups. Speaking of pickups I see a Super Switch in there, any wild plans for it?

Of all things, I really like that football jack plate. I've always used an Electrosocket for side jacks but seeing that I might have to give one a whirl.

That's unfortunate about the tuner, what led to that? Not sure if it applies here but note that if you are having to use excessive force to get the tuner in place you might want to spend some time working on the mounting hole. A busted tuner is bad, but a busted headstock would be much worse...

The wiring I picked up from Mojo tone has a setup so the bridge humbucker can tap into the middle single coil pickup. I've heard nothing but good things about the stuff that comes out of Mojo Tone

EpicPow said:
I believe they are cast from a mold. Each tuner has a number correlating with what I believe could be mold numbers.

Right. I knew the housings were cast, but wasn't sure about the threaded bushings. For as thin and detailed as they have to be, I'm not sure if die casting can achieve that level of precision consistently. I spent some time doing robotics work in a die casting plant, so I'm familiar with the design/operation of that machinery and how things are handled. Maybe those guys were savages (they were making automotive parts), but it didn't seem like fine detail was something you could count on from that process. Still, it would explain why they're so easy to break.

Cagey said:
EpicPow said:
I believe they are cast from a mold. Each tuner has a number correlating with what I believe could be mold numbers.

Right. I knew the housings were cast, but wasn't sure about the threaded bushings. For as thin and detailed as they have to be, I'm not sure if die casting can achieve that level of precision consistently. I spent some time doing robotics work in a die casting plant, so I'm familiar with the design/operation of that machinery and how things are handled. Maybe those guys were savages (they were making automotive parts), but it didn't seem like fine detail was something you could count on from that process. Still, it would explain why they're so easy to break.

Yea it is definitely a bummer, but just glad I was finally able to track down a replacement w/out having to drop another $100. Hopefully they will be here soon!

Finished everything including the setup last night. She's finally done and sounds fantastic. Will try and post a video later

Attachments

• IMG_3382.JPG
    IMG_3382.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3383.JPG
    IMG_3383.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Back