Binding or no binding on Tele body?

alexreinhold

Guys, quick one...

I'm about to order a tele body with a swamp ash top on a mahogany core. I'm planning on doing a black stain finish.

My plan is to get no binding at all. Any cons? I mean, if I have to get binding, it'd be black.

interesting topic,  binding wont make it sound any better,  so the deal is cosmetic,  do you build pretty guitars,  good sounding guitars,  both?  I have a shovel theory whereas a tool isnt meant to look pretty,  its to do a sound job,  but then again i am not selling guitars,  ugly guitars probably dont sell as well as pretty ones. 

Finshing yourself or having Warmoth finish? I assume the former, binding will require scrapping between finishing and clear coating.

The plan is to make it look as natural as possible. If that's possible without binding, I'm clearly favoring no binding

I love binding on telecasters, but in this case I'd have to say...

.... no binding!

tbh i think dark binding on a dark body looks li'l silly. binding should contrast. but hey, dawg, Be the junk in the trunk you want to see in the world

A black guitar should get white binding, not black … but if it floats your boat do it.  So … it’s either none, white or pearloid.

No binding it is. Just wanted to make sure there is no visual glitch/weirdness when choosing a different top wood and no binding.

I should have been a bit clearer. I never had the intention to do binding - it was more of a technical question rather than a call for aesthetic advice. Thanks everyone! This thread is hereby closed and resolved :)

Take into account comfort also. Binding creates a sharper edge radius. If you're going without contours, binding might be uncomfortable, especially on your forearm.

Back