Biggest building pain in the butt?

shanejw said:
Soldering to the trem claw was the biggest pain on my last build.  went ahead and got a  crimp on fork and put it under a screw.

For a trem claw, you need an industrial strength soldering iron, since the large metal surface of the trem claw will act as a big heat sink and suck all the heat out of your iron, and it'll never get hot enough to melt the solder.  The little 30 watt iron you use for pots and switches won't work.  I used a big ol' fat 100-watt iron on my trem claw and it worked great.  You could also use it on the back of a pot, but I wouldn't try it on a switch or a pot lug.

why just not the earth-wire in a hole for the screws with which the tremclaw attaches to the body? works great for me.

The claw supplied with the Tremol-no has a little set screw on it, and Kevan suggests attaching a #10 ring terminal (any auto shop) to the wire, then screw it down to the claw. After futzing with it, I wanted the wire to attach to the back of the claw (towards the neck) so it would run completely out of the way. So I drilled right through the claw and attached the ring-terminal'd wire with a 1/2" long 3/32" bolt and nut. I will drill through every other claw I ever meet. :evil4: You don't have to take any crap from this stuff, you OWN it...

Back