Dangit - the southpaw bites us again!

S

swarfrat

After I got my head around lefty scissors, desks, trackball, guitars...

The kid comes home from summer camp at his school, with a new found interest. Golf. And in his hand is a plastic right handed club thats part of a toy golf setup. Apparently they played at school and he just loved it. A couple things about this:

1) I hate golf. And am generally disinterested in sports. The kid isn't exactly athletic either.
2) I promised this kid/myself when he was a baby, that if he ever did take an interest in a sport,I would make my level best effort to learn about the sport, support his endeavors, and try to do it with him. At the time I was thinking maybe I could watch baseball on TV with him and explain what I knew of the game.
3) Kids golf clubs appear to come in 1) plastic toddler toys,2) your average club or two suitable for backyard golf. 3) Tiger's boy needs real clubs by golly.

clubs 1 & 2 apparently only come in right handed clubs.  I found a small handfull of lefty jr clubs on craigslist and FB marketplace, but so far they're all either too big (pre-teen), too little (preschooler), a three hour drive, $100, or they just don't bother responding.

Now, if the boy sticks with it, I don't mind springing for reasonable mid grade gear. I get that lefties are about 10% of the population. And not everyone stocks them. But I'm contiually amazed at the places where you can't even order a lefty if you wanted to pay through the nose.  On the whole, most lefties are more ambidextrous than right handers, but not all are, and I doubt I could wipe my butt ldft handed. For those who are, you really don't get much of a choice in the matter.

Anyway, just my gripe for the day. (What a waste. Getting laid off tomorrow, got an excruciating case of pink eye, and he's wasting his gripe for the day on left handed kids golf clubs.)

Venting is good, helps with the digestion of all sorts of things! Sorry to hear about the lay off, hope it's short lived.

If you can, keep your promise, if you can’t, be honest with him.  I remember when my dad told me we couldn’t afford a bicycle. I learned about doing yard work for neighbors and  mowing lawns and used bike parts.  Eventually I got a bike. I guess I was about 8. I also remember when my dad was on strike and times when he was unemployed.  He always hung in there and things worked out.

Perhaps better opportunities are just ahead.

Good luck and golf could be a cool thing to do.

I've actually had three interviews this week, and a bunch of phone screens. Right now the job market looks great. The severance package was generous. I'm not worried about living expenses just yet.  With bonus, severance, and savings, we have about five months cushion, and I expect to be working soon.

swarfrat said:
I've actually had three interviews this week, and a bunch of phone screens. Right now the job market looks great. The severance package was generous. I'm not worried about living expenses just yet.  With bonus, severance, and savings, we have about five months cushion, and I expect to be working soon.
Very cool. I'm glad to hear things look good for you.

Score! Found a used set on FBMP for $50. The lady selling them said "make sure you take your own putter if you play miniature golf, cause they often don't have left handed putters". 

Seriously, I had no idea before my son was born just how deep the frustration can be for lefties. Things you'd never think about. Most people know about or aren't suprised by scissors and desks, but then there's egg beaters, can openers, paper cutters, and more.  And if you get a hankerin for a 59 P'bass in sherwood green or some such... Yer pretty much screwed.

Attachments

• 65275637_10157133660022040_1734352655058206720_n.jpg
    65275637_10157133660022040_1734352655058206720_n.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 233
swarfrat said:
Score! Found a used set on FBMP for $50. The lady selling them said "make sure you take your own putter if you play miniature golf, cause they often don't have left handed putters".
Very cool! He should like those.

He finally got them this evening, oh my word. I can't recall what else has excited him this much. I don't shed a lot of tears over growing up so fast, I usually leave that to mommy. But seeing a set of golf clubs in the closet... hit me in the gut. The boy I sang to sleep every night for about 3 years has his own golf clubs?? Maybe its worse because I always think of golf as something people older than me play.

Back