Bass Neck Stiffeners

GBag

Well Warmoth wont talk to me about these after they sold them to me. Nice!!!  Does anyone know what the minimum distance from the truss rod chamber these should be? Does anyone know how they should be positioned length wise in the neck? ie: even with the end of the truss rod at the nut end? Even with the truss rod at the pocket end? Centered on the length of the rod? Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. I'm still shocked that they refused to discuss installation procedure for a component they sell???
Thanks & have a great day
Greg

I suppose they dont know exactly how to deal with it, because the sales-rep's arent luthiers!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Carbon_fiber/1/Carbon_Fiber/Instructions/I-4007.html#details

Orpheo said:
I suppose they dont know exactly how to deal with it, because the sales-rep's arent luthiers!
LOL yeah I figured that out when the guy immediately said hold on I'll have to ask someone. This was followed by...Is it our neck? To which I knew if I said yes the answer would be....send it to us we would be happy to install them. Unfortunately for me it is not their neck it's my own so the reply was....I'm sorry we can't talk to you about that.  HUH!?!?! It's your component offered for sale on your site & you wont talk about how it's installed? I believe this was probably generated by previous experience where someone used their advice in the past & had a failure & tried to blame them (possibly even sue) for the issue. I just have a hard time with anyone who won't support an item they sell. If they won't support it they should offer it as an installed at the factory option only & not offer the component stand alone.

RLW said:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Carbon_fiber/1/Carbon_Fiber/Instructions/I-4007.html#details
Warmoth has the same info on their site if you poke around enough. But it doesn't talk about min distance the stiffener channel should be from the truss rod cavity. nor does it say how it should be aligned next to the truss rod. The stiffeners are shorter than the truss rod so how do they position along side of it. ie: end even the truss rod at the nut? center of stiffener even with center of truss rod? even with the threaded end of the truss rod? ( I build my necks with the adjustment at the pocket end of the neck)
Thanks just the same though. Any info is better than none.

depending on the neck specifics, I leave anywhere between 1/8" and 1/2" of wall thickness between the trussrode channel side and the stiffener channel side. I usually route the stiffener channels parallel to the neck centerline, as I have found no significant difference when installing the stiffeners parallel to the side of the neck - but it is a WHOLE LOT MORE DIFFICULT to do the latter

I do NOT see any need to install a dual trussrod configuration on 6-string (and less) bass necks. all of my single trussrod 6-string bass necks work wonderfully with just a single trussrod and a pair of graphite stiffening bars

anything else I can help with on these?

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
depending on the neck specifics, I leave anywhere between 1/8" and 1/2" of wall thickness between the trussrode channel side and the stiffener channel side. I usually route the stiffener channels parallel to the neck centerline, as I have found no significant difference when installing the stiffeners parallel to the side of the neck - but it is a WHOLE LOT MORE DIFFICULT to do the latter

I do NOT see any need to install a dual trussrod configuration on 6-string (and less) bass necks. all of my single trussrod 6-string bass necks work wonderfully with just a single trussrod and a pair of graphite stiffening bars

anything else I can help with on these?

all the best,

R
Thank You for your reply. The only other question I have is the stiffener rods are just slightly shorter then the truss rod. do you align them to one end of the truss rod or just find center of truss & center of stiffener?

I have seen it done many ways, and all seem to work equally well since they are epoxied into the neck blank and capped with a fretboard.

for my personal preference: I like to end carbon fiber stiffening rods right under the nut (or even a little past it depending on the neck style), and steel stiffening rods about 1/8" or so from the nut. the carbon fiber is relatively neutral, but my ear hears an unpleasant 'ping' to the frequency response when ending the steel stiffening bars directly under the nut. YMMV, of course, due to the exact materials and construction methods you utilize

all the best,

R

Back