Bass Amp vs Keyboard Amp vs Powered PA Speaker

QuasarQuail

A Tech 21 Blonde is the heart of my rig, but I need an amp for situations where the PA sucks or is not provided at all.

There's a great deal on an Ampeg 210 bass combo near me, and I'm wondering if any of y'all have had experience running an emulator/modeler/whatever through a bass amp.

I used to play bass through a keyboard amp, which makes me wonder if the neutrality works both ways.

Many keyboard amps are seriously excursion limited for bass guitar or electronic drums. So it may be tough to tell until you get it in a gig situation, or at least full volume rehearsal. You'd run into the same thing with the appropriate bass patches, but they engineers under duress from the bean counters figure that MOST people won't be taxing 40 Hz percussive thumps.

I've used a small mixer and a powered PA speaker quite a bit. Does the job well. It's super versatile and is great with an acoustic.

Whenever I do take an actual amp with me rather than just getting a feed to a monitor, I take my Carvin AG100 Acoustic amp, and just connect from the "liine-out" of my POD HD500X to the "Return" of the Carvin.  It also has a tweeter attenuation that I rarely have need to adjust, but it's nice to have there just in case it's needed.

Back