Bands, artists you actually don't want to admit you like.

When I was growing up in the 70s, and all the Glam Rock stuff had the guys looking like girls etc. it was very uncool to admit to liking The Sweet, Bowie, T-Rex. But the guys I went to school with could easily show you the riffs to their songs, lol. Nowadays even Bowie laughs off the period, but it certainly made some adoloscent males feel mighty uncomfortable about the world they lived in, with music they liked being played  by guys who looked like women...

Beiber I cannot stand...... but noticed the old hype tricks of marketing gurus at work with his act. Hysteria, screaming girls, sorry I have seen it all before x4, so am a little annoyed this sort of stunt has popped up again. To me , his voice is kinda weak and I am really doubting his real talent.

Don't mind some Katie Perry stuff, I guess her good looks get you viewing the video on a sleepy Saturday morning, then you listen to the music and get a bit interested in that respect too. I liked "Waking up in Vegas".

A lot of current music has just passed me by..... I'm working a lot of the time so don't have time to watch music videos and the radio has mostly 'classic tunes' on it.. Maybe I'm lucky?

OzziePete said:
When I was growing up in the 70s, and all the Glam Rock stuff had the guys looking like girls etc. it was very uncool to admit to liking The Sweet, Bowie, T-Rex. But the guys I went to school with could easily show you the riffs to their songs, lol. Nowadays even Bowie laughs off the period, but it certainly made some adoloscent males feel mighty uncomfortable about the world they lived in, with music they liked being played  by guys who looked like women...

A lot of current music has just passed me by..... I'm working a lot of the time so don't have time to watch music videos and the radio has mostly 'classic tunes' on it.. Maybe I'm lucky?

I grew up during that period as well, and you're right. Some of those bands made it difficult to profess any preference for them. But, if you were one of the "cool" guys, you could get away with it to some degree, as long as you didn't act fanatic about it. You just had to act like you didn't have any choice <grin>

A lot of current music has passed me by as well, and I'm not feeling like I missed anything. Every once in a while I'll turn on the car radio and hear something modern, and wonder how the radio stations are staying in business. Seems like it's gotta be really tough to attract listeners.

Hell, I'm only 24 and I feel that today's music has passed me by. I already find myself telling "kids these days" how much better music was "when i was their age". It's practice for when I'm a cantankerous old man.  :laughing7:

JaySwear said:
i guess one good one would be Third Eye Blind. i absolutely love them, but i've heard them bad-talked a lot. mostly by people who don't understand who they are. most people think of Third Eye Blind as a very pop-rock band thats akin to Goo Goo Dolls or maybe Better Than Ezra (who i also like), but really all of TEB's songs are about drug addiction, sex, or death/murder :icon_biggrin: they're a very dark band with some awesome song writing skills.

With me it was never what their songs were about but the douche-ness of Stephen Jenkins I couldn't get past, then again I like Duran Duran and Depeche Mode.  Go figure.  Can't deny his pop hook songwriting ability though.  The Goo Goo Dolls had punk roots pre-acoustic commercial success.

JimBeed said:
I get told i should be ashamed i love the songs these guys do,
but most of them are one genre philestines so i dont pay attention anymore to them, and im glad ive left there ranks of stupidity
But seriously, theres alot of variety in these songs but all of them you can tell are by them.
Not to mention they shouldve won eurovision 2007 for being the first decent song in history on there  :laughing7:

The Ark are okay, but I think their image sometimes stops them from fulfilling their potential. Could just be me though. :)

Trivia: My dad lives in the same little town they are from. His wife's kids grew up in the same house as the singer. I saw one of the guitarists here in Malmö the other week too. Small world...

Anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge fan of Hard Rock, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rush, Pink Floyd etc. But the music I am ashamed to admit that I like are the classic Musicals (West Side Story, South Pacific, Oklahoma etc.) When I was a kid, the musicals were required viewing in our home. My mother owned the TV when ever one of them was shown, she sang along with the songs and she even owned the soundtracks (film versions usually not Broadway casts) to most of them. So with head hung low I admit to not only loving the musicals but to owning a bunch on DVD and VHS. My son (11 y.o.) is a huge Beatles fan and is more knowledgeable about Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith than most other kids his age, thanks to his daddy.  :glasses10: But he is following in my footsteps in another way...he too loves the classic musicals. One of our favorites that we watch every year around the 4th of July is the Music Man. Below is one of my favorite songs from that film, "Lida Rose" sung Barber Shop Quartet style. Enjoy...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCpCxD6Em8k[/youtube]

Max said:
I actually like this since I heard it on the radio Sunday. This isn't the studio version or whatever I heard, but it's the closest I can find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN8pWdZhVaM&feature=related

There is absolutely no need to apologize for liking one of the best funk songs ever recorded by the best, most erudite funk bands that ever existed (you would have to have lived through the era to appreciate the lyrics)....

Jet-Jaguar said:
I think that Lady Ga-Ga is actually really talented, and is working with Talented people, which makes her stuff even better. 

I was one of very few men in the 80's who admited to liking Adam Ant and Duran Duran.

Also, I like music from northern Europe that I can't even pronounce.  I once met one of the guys from Hedningardna at a party, and he laughed at the way I pronounced "Hednigardna."

No need to apologize for the former, we all want to be Gaga's guitarist/boy toy....

Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
Justin Bieber :laughing3:

I'm kidding!!!

If there's not an implicit rule about gay pedophilia on this board, there should be....

jackthehack said:
Max said:
I actually like this since I heard it on the radio Sunday. This isn't the studio version or whatever I heard, but it's the closest I can find.

There is absolutely no need to apologize for liking one of the best funk songs ever recorded by the best, most erudite funk bands that ever existed (you would have to have lived through the era to appreciate the lyrics)....
I'm surprised I couldn't find a studio version. Made me think it wasn't that popular.

jackthehack said:

I'm kidding!!!

If there's not an implicit rule about gay pedophilia on this board, there should be....
Wait.... that's a guy singing?

TexxasJam I agree with you, some of the old, many of the old musicals were required viewing when I grew up. And we liked them.

I grew up in the 70's as a " Rocker" we hated Disco,  but in my later years, 50 now, when I hear an old disco tune it brings me back to the 70's and I love it

Patrick said:
Volitions Advocate said:
I'm a big fan of most of the gay 80s electro pop bands... Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears etc. 

My buddies and I, after the downfall of our previous band decided to do our own little side project (titled: We Are Our Own Side Project) Where we were going to go to the metal shows and play all the stuff that none of the metal heads want to admit that they like because they're too hardcore now.  Our tagline was going to be " We don't take ourselves seriously so neither should you"

This is our first tentative setlist:

Feel So Numb - Rob Zombie
Bodies - Drowning Pool
Blue Monday - Orgy
Hooker with a Penis - Tool
Du Hast - Rammstein
I Hate Jimmy Page - Mindless Self Indulgence

I don't remember the rest right now, but there was going to be a Deftones song in there and maybe an offspring song.   And probably Make Yourself by Incubus.  The high point of the song is in 7/4 and there's a bunch of F words so it fits perfecly.  heheh.

the lyrics of Du Hast may get pretty complicated. ranging from 2 to 4 words a line seems ridiculously long  :laughing7:

Actually the lyrics are brilliant, if you understand German and listen very carefullly, it's a big double-entendre, as they enunciate differently per verse

Du hast mich = (literally) "You have me" , i.e., "I'm yours"
Du hass mich = "You hate me"

Max said:
jackthehack said:
Max said:

I'm surprised I couldn't find a studio version. Made me think it wasn't that popular.

jackthehack said:

There are multiple studio/live versions available.  If you were around in 1972-3 you'd know how popular that song was....

I'm kidding!!!

Wait.... that's a guy singing?

Back