If you could/had to start a tribute band, who...?

I think it would be the Kinks.  Those songs are great, everyone loves them, and they're not that hard.

Here's a tune I'm currently obsessed with:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtER2E34Ptk[/youtube]

Mayflown said:
I think it would be the Kinks.   Those songs are great, everyone loves them, and they're not that hard.

The Kinks are amazing. Such an immense catalogue and such high quality, throughout. I love "I'm Not Like Everybody Else," but then I love pretty much all of their material. "Come Dancing" was the first music video I'd ever seen.

DocNrock said:
crash said:
MAIDEN!  :headbang: :evil4:

I'll play Adrian Smith's parts and Ocrist can play Dave Murray's parts.  We'll leave Janick Gers parts out.

+1.  I first decided to learn the guitar after hearing "The Trooper" on the radio.  Dave Murray has been my fundamental influence.  And I definitely agree with leaving out Janick's parts.   :laughing7:

That said, I agree with what others have said about tribute bands, in general.  I've not been in a tribute band, but have been in two bands in the past.  One did primarily covers and the other exclusively originals.  I had much more fun in the band that did originals.

Up the Irons! Run to the Hills blew my mind when I first heard it. I've been a huge fan ever since then and would totally agree about Dave being a primary influence.

If it wasn't going to be a Maiden tribute band it would be either Rush, Hendrix or Satch.

As I poke through the University of YouTube chasing some of these things down, the same thing keeps coming up: the bugfuckers at Clear Channel and the other "nationalized" radio stations have done us a horrible disservice in simplifying and packaging our own musical history into something easily digestible and controlled. Did you know that Golden Earring has about thirty albums out and they're NOT all remakes of "Radar Love?" And Blue Oyster Cult is still writing and releasing new music, and it doesn't all sound like "Burning for You" and "Don't Fear the Reaper"... it's no wonder older musicians get discouraged, they are being discouraged from continuing to write music, it's not going to get promoted or heard if the bugfuckers have anything to say about.

hannaugh said:
dNA said:
Modest Mouse. i pretty much learned how to play guitar by learning old modest mouse tunes. Isaac Brock is my favorite guitarist and favorite songwriter ever.

:hello2: :toothy12: :icon_thumright:  I love them.  So. Much.  But how the HELL would you ever find someone who could do that weird "I have split personalities and they are having an argument" style of singing.  I have tried to imitate how he sings, and it is pretty impossible. 

Lucky that you can sing. Last time I participated in karaoke I was booed off the stage.  :tard:

I love to sing!  I actually have a vocal coach.  It's pretty casual, she's a friend from work.  I help her with guitar and she teaches me singing/breathing exercises.  But Modest Mouse is hard!

I've been told I do a killer "Float On." I'll see about recording it the next time we hit the karaoke rounds, to allow myself to be either pilloried or vindicated.

I've been listening to a lot of Tom Waits recently, and I was just thinking "now THAT would be a fun tribute band". But good luck on the vocals.  :tard:

Jonesey said:
But good luck on the vocals.  :tard:

Two whiskies and I'm Tom Waits, but I think his songs are best reinvented than carbon-copied. I've covered both "Way Down in the Hole" and "Going out West." I'm pretty happy with the first recording, but I cannot recapture in a controlled environment the performance versions of the latter. It's too hard for me to manufacture the intensity that comes from having an audience.

I agree that there's not much point in copying ol' Tom exactly--it would seem to defeat the purpose of covering him in the first place. It's just hard to imagine his songs working when sung by someone with a normal voice. I mean, think about the two most famous covers of his songs out there: Rod Stewart's "Downtown Train" and Springsteen's "Jersey Girl". Both are still given the raspy-voice treatment.

Ah who am I kidding? I'm just jealous of all you gravelly-voiced people out there. I should take up smoking.  :laughing7:

I offer, with a certain amount of dread, I must admit, a page on which you'll find my cover of "Way Down in the Hole."

http://www.dividedfront.com/

If you happen to listen to any of the other tracks, "Dirt" is the sole original, and it could use some more hooks.

There are those out there who already pay tribute to the worlds most popular cover band Grateful Dead. Because of all of the deadicated fans, there is always a venue willing, thousands of songs to play, and no "set" way to do them. The catalog goes from country, bluegrass, garage psychedelia, spacey jazz, complicated and straight (well, never entirely straight) forward rock-n-roll. The music is danceable (with enough mushrooms) and interactive, with all musicians getting chances to shine.

Here's an old recording of me covering an early Modest Mouse tune. It's only like the first half of the song tho. http://snd.sc/nwPdoy
I have a recording of me and my friends jamming on another MM song and then i overdubbed vocals, but it was a little crazy.

Jonesey said:
I've been listening to a lot of Tom Waits recently, and I was just thinking "now THAT would be a fun tribute band". But good luck on the vocals.  :tard:

Great idea! Call it "Rain Dogs."

I think Tom's songs are so good that you don't need to sound like Tom to make them work. I cite Southdise Johnny Lyon's tribute album of Tom Wait's songs. A really good singer doing the music well.

Now I have to listen to it! Southside, here I come!

Back