Bands, artists you actually don't want to admit you like.

Marko said:
ErogenousJones said:
It's best not to try and understand, Max. It's like trying to figure out why the Black Eyed Peas, Twilight or that Fred guy on youtube are popular. Such are the mysteries of modern society.

also, you need one of those weird emo haircuts, half long, while it looks like you just got stuck in a small tornado..

emo-vs-goth.jpg

Max said:
Well, on other forums, like TDPRI, it sounds like Boston is not one to be proud of :p

Also, John Mayer.

i know this is a couple pages old but what the hell is wrong with john mayer? and as ugly as the guy is i understand the songs of his that get radio play, the women love it and they convince themselves that hes not ugly at all.
the blues stuff he plays is very good.

yeah, honestly i don't get all the hate for john mayer. i think people just like agreeing with other people :dontknow: definitely seems like a hate-bandwagon to me. he's not my thing at all, but he's really not that bad! like my guitar teacher said about him years ago... "YOU are not his target audience, your girlfriend is."

Come on! it's fashionable to hate him!

I am not really a fan, probably because of the way he sings.. but still, I would take him over most other modern crap!

A lot of the bands I listed I put there because I've heard hatin' on them, so I'm not sure if I should be proud :p

Max said:
ErogenousJones said:
It's best not to try and understand, Max. It's like trying to figure out why the Black Eyed Peas, Twilight or that Fred guy on youtube are popular. Such are the mysteries of modern society.
Ugh... can't stand the Peas.

I will say the songs are catchy, but I don't like irritating stuff like that stuck in my head

Last New Year's Eve, I was with my ex girlfriend at her house, hanging out alone in a room with her, when...
On the TV in another room came "I've got a feeling." No, after that songs starts, it's NOT a good night.

Man, I hate the Peas too and especially their excessive use of autotune.

But....  Fergie is hot.

I guess for me it's not that John Mayer isn't good, I think he's good at what he does. But I think there's a big let down with him the way people say, OMG OMG OMG, JOHN MAYER GOD, OMG OMG OMG.

I think he does his own stuff great, (just like the rest of us :laughing7: ), be needs to stop doing covers. I can't think of one cover song he's done that even came close to sounding as good as the original. For me, when you are at the status level he's at, you pull a cover out, you better make it your own and shine on it.

That's not unique to John Mayer.  Many bands don't do covers as well as the original.  I heard his album version of "Crossroads."  He distances from the guitar in that song big time, I don't even think it has one, as to say, "I'm gonna do this song that countless guys have covered well with the guitar w/out a guitar."  BTW, I thought it sucked.

Music aside, you gotta like any " Musician" who is a gearhead, A guy who knows his guitars and history of them and what's a good amp and pedals and has way more of all of that stuff than he needs.

John Mayer is a gearhead, I heard he owns like 12 Dumble amps or something like that

if i was john mayer, i would be a gear head too, why have 1 guitar and 1 amp when you could have 50 guitars and 50 amps

I"m not his target audience. obviously.  Although I do enjoy Jason Mraz and I really like James Blunt.  If we're talking about the guys that make the girls goo ... 

But THIS is why I think I'd like to hang out with John Mayer.  I was laughing pretty hard watching this episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x7N2imlmqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPi_3B01fgk

(no auto tune  :headbang:)

But I realized that I forgot to mention one of my biggest guilty pleasures.  I'm a huge fan of the Goo Goo Dolls.  They're actually one of the bands that drove me to play guitar.  Sure they're 100% commercial but I just can't hate 'em.

John mayers stuff is ok, i think his live stuff with THEE pino paladino was badass. but his cover of panama was horseshit!  :laughing8:

elfro89 said:
John mayers stuff is ok, i think his live stuff with THEE pino paladino was badass. but his cover of panama was horseshite!  :laughing8:
Now now, what has horseshite done to you, that was brutal!  :toothy11:

Volitions Advocate said:
But THIS is why I think I'd like to hang out with John Mayer.  I was laughing pretty hard watching this episode:

haha yep, everytime somebody says "john mayer" this is what i think of. great episode :icon_biggrin:

Some john mayer songs i like, ermm alot of old rock, probably some i should admit here but cant remember names, but i will get on your nerves now and say there is a fair few black eyed peas songs i really like, mainly cause there nice to chill out to, there not exactly a band due to the amount of computer stuff they use really, but it all sounds good none the less, i just think of them as vocalists and it gets rid of the hate of computer generated sounds most of the time when it is computer generated  :glasses9:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnbLXAfrPvY[/youtube]
I get told i should be ashamed i love the songs these guys do,
but most of them are one genre philestines so i dont pay attention anymore to them, and im glad ive left there ranks of stupidity
But seriously, theres alot of variety in these songs but all of them you can tell are by them.
Not to mention they shouldve won eurovision 2007 for being the first decent song in history on there  :laughing7:

i guess one good one would be Third Eye Blind. i absolutely love them, but i've heard them bad-talked a lot. mostly by people who don't understand who they are. most people think of Third Eye Blind as a very pop-rock band thats akin to Goo Goo Dolls or maybe Better Than Ezra (who i also like), but really all of TEB's songs are about drug addiction, sex, or death/murder :icon_biggrin: they're a very dark band with some awesome song writing skills.

Back