AUGUST GUITAR/BASS of the MONTH: WINNER is gtr475

who should win

• Total voters
Doughboy got my vote because he entered a guitar that I made a back cover for!!!!

Guitars look so much better with wood back covers. 

Anybody else that gets a back cover from me gets my vote only because it is a detail that a TOP NOTCH builder uses.  Fooey on you guys that think those ugly black plastic covers look good...... they actually make the guitar look...... well....... like a really super hot chick that you take home and find that she has zits all over her butt!!!!!!

BigBeard said:
Anybody else that gets a back cover from me gets my vote only because it is a detail that a TOP NOTCH builder uses. 

But then - you only got one vote in each poll ...  :icon_jokercolor:

SustainerPlayer said:
BigBeard said:
Anybody else that gets a back cover from me gets my vote only because it is a detail that a TOP NOTCH builder uses. 

But then - you only got one vote in each poll ...  :icon_jokercolor:

Good point...... but it seems like nobody on an extremely detail oriented board is interested in wood back covers..... so the chances of me having to actually choose between customers is gonna be pretty slim, you know what I mean?

Hey the GOTM is the most fun popularity contest that I participate in!  In case you didn't know, it's not really about the guitars so much as the member posting them.......

I'm somewhat detail oriented, and the wooden back covers I've seen don't make it look better, IMO.  The wood cover is either a different wood variety, or if it is the same, the grain pattern doesn't match.  I feel this way about most overly wooded guitar accessories.  Pickup covers, rings, and control cavity covers made out of wood almost never match.  I would be for a wood cover if it were the piece of wood from the cavity.  That's darn near impossible as it is routed out.  To say we aren't detail oriented because we don't have wood covers...it's just a different detail.

line6man said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Bare minimum a half-moth.  A Warmoth neck and a non-Warmoth body or the other way around.

So you mean I should have been entering my Half-Moth all this time? :blob7:

Problem is, I don't really know how to define it.
The neck is a Warmoth, and Warmoth did the finish, but the epoxy was not done by Warmoth, and the body is a Squier. :dontknow:

Rather than have me droll on with my criteria, I think the Warmoth finish on the neck in this case sqeaks by on a technicality.  The parts we see in the picture are a Squier body and the epoxy finish you did on the fretboard.  No doubt the neck is what separates the bass from the pack, but the Warmoth part of it (the finish on the back of the neck) isn't even present in the photos.  In the spirit of the contest, I couldn't enter it, but it's not my choice.

I'm somewhat detail oriented, and the wooden back covers I've seen don't make it look better, IMO.  The wood cover is either a different wood variety, or if it is the same, the grain pattern doesn't match.  I feel this way about most overly wooded guitar accessories.  Pickup covers, rings, and control cavity covers made out of wood almost never match.  I would be for a wood cover if it were the piece of wood from the cavity.  That's darn near impossible as it is routed out.  To say we aren't detail oriented because we don't have wood covers...it's just a different detail.

I agree, and I suspect many others do as well, which is probably why wood covers aren't more popular than they are. Lord knows guitar players love bling, and bolt-on bling is the easiest of all to implement.

Cagey said:

I agree, and I suspect many others do as well, which is probably why wood covers aren't more popular than they are. Lord knows guitar players love bling, and bolt-on bling is the easiest of all to implement.

for respect of the poll...I can see this topic spiraling out of control...it may be better served in a new thread.. :redflag:

DMRACO said:
Cagey said:

for respect of the poll...I can see this topic spiraling out of control...it may be better served in a new thread.. :redflag:

+1 :tard:...

line6man said:
Bare minimum a half-moth.  A Warmoth neck and a non-Warmoth body or the other way around.

So you mean I should have been entering my Half-Moth all this time? :blob7:

Problem is, I don't really know how to define it.
The neck is a Warmoth, and Warmoth did the finish, but the epoxy was not done by Warmoth, and the body is a Squier. :dontknow:

Rather than have me droll on with my criteria, I think the Warmoth finish on the neck in this case sqeaks by on a technicality.  The parts we see in the picture are a Squier body and the epoxy finish you did on the fretboard.  No doubt the neck is what separates the bass from the pack, but the Warmoth part of it (the finish on the back of the neck) isn't even present in the photos.  In the spirit of the contest, I couldn't enter it, but it's not my choice.

And that's precisely the issue.
I wondering if that's not enough Warmoth finish to call it a Warmoth finished bass.

Meh, it's not that great of a bass to begin with, I'm not sure I'd call it GoTM-worthy. I don't think I'm going to enter it.

You're not going to enter it because we're already voting, nerd.  :laughing11:

This is the reason I don't enter most of my guitars.  They're beautiful, but many of the bodies are not W finished.

-Mark

Voting from Stockholm this time  :toothy10:
(Beautiful city. Highly recommended)

pt got my vote. That's one cool dinky.  :icon_thumright:

Voting from Stockholm this time  

pt got my vote. That's one cool dinky.  

Stockholm is my home town. And yes it sure is a beautiful in summer.

baskruit said:
Voting from Stockholm this time  :toothy10:

pt got my vote. That's one cool dinky.  :icon_thumright:

Thanks man!

line6man said:
JimBeed said:
(I wont spam enter this bass though, just might try next april for instance if thats warmoth finish)

Why April? :icon_scratch:

My birthday month next year, just couldnt pick a month haha,
And no votes for mine... bummer. oh well XD
BTW what happened to the votes, just home from holiday and found all the vote recast etc?

JimBeed said:

Don't take it wrong - it's a fine instrument - but it's a single diamond in a jewelry store. It's tough to stand out in these polls. It's not like you're competing against standard OEM instruments that rarely exhibit any outstanding features other than a shocking price tag.

Cagey said:
JimBeed said:

Don't take it wrong - it's a fine instrument - but it's a single diamond in a jewelry store. It's tough to stand out in these polls. It's not like you're competing against standard OEM instruments that rarely exhibit any outstanding features other than a shocking price tag.
Haha yeah i know its not that fancy, but as its precisely what i was after im happy as larry, (on a good day :p)
Well its half fancyish, im pretty sure you never find bloodwood and wenge on OEM hehe,
Well my next project thats going to be done sometime will be entered into the Pro finish aswell so can see how thatll match up.

Back