Are There Any Risks To Buying An Unfinished Neck ?

Edison Chase

Would prefer to have an unfinished neck and rub it down with gunstock oil when I get it, but I'm concerned with problems that might occur during shipping.. warping, etc.

:unsure:

It will arrive just fine and you'll likely never have a problem with it.

Warmoth's warranty requires that a hard finish is applied, either by you or by us. People ignore this and apply oil finishes all the time, and as I said almost never have any issue. Just be aware that if by some twist (pun intended) of fate you run into a problem, you'll have no warranty protection.

It will arrive just fine and you'll likely never have a problem with it.

Warmoth's warranty requires that a hard finish is applied, either by you or by us. People ignore this and apply oil finishes all the time, and as I said almost never have any issue. Just be aware that if by some twist (pun intended) of fate you run into a problem, you'll have no warranty protection.
First build, and not wishing to tempt fate.

:rolleyes:

I buy all my necks unfinished.
I have the face of the headstock clear-coated, and use Tru-Oil & wax on the back.
If the fretboard is maple (and not roasted), I have that clear-coated as well.

It's not gonna warp during shipping. That could happen only under string tension. If the climate is extremely humid, some lifting of the frets could occur, but a fret-leveling job fixes that.

I've used wipe-on poly successfully if you don't want to go the tru-oil route, though while not meeting the warranty, in over 25 years of doing this, I never had tru-oil fail me. That said, I apply over 25 thin coats of tru-oil to the neck. It's a project. And it takes about two months to fully harden after the last coat. For the poly, I'd say about a month. Probably, 10 thin coats.

I've used wipe-on poly successfully if you don't want to go the tru-oil route, though while not meeting the warranty, in over 25 years of doing this, I never had tru-oil fail me. That said, I apply over 25 thin coats of tru-oil to the neck. It's a project. And it takes about two months to fully harden after the last coat. For the poly, I'd say about a month. Probably, 10 thin coats.
I usually do about 5 on my necks, but I am a rebel.

after the first three coats of tru-oil, or one coat of poly, I thin them by 50% with mineral spirits.

I have 2 roasted maple necks and it is my new favorite neck wood in terms of appearance and stability.
It is also lighter in weight than more exotic woods.

Yep. And you can confirm by going over to the warmoth website. Try building a neck over there.

You should still put a Tru-Oil finish on roasted maple -- at least on the back. Otherwise it will get dirty and look terrible. Easy enough to do.
I do mine that way. After several coats, lightly brush it down with 0000 steel wool and then apply a coat of gun stick wax. Feels like bare wood and super smooth.

Back