Finishing an AAA Maple neck discussion

scottp

Hello all!

I have a new Warmoth Warhead AAA Flame maple neck I am going to put a finish on.

Some history of me. I have built 2 Warmoth Tele's and have 3 other Custom Warmoth necks on other guitars.
On my last build I got a Flamed Maple neck and finished it with Tru-Oil.
While that finish looks / feels nice I am looking to do more with this next one.

I have been watching many YT videos of how people go about applying a finish to necks and figured woods.
Here is a video that I am using as a guide to try any make the figure POP on my new neck.

As of now I am planning on using water based dyes.
Starting with a walnut brown color, them sanding most of that off before going toward the final color.
I am trying to achieve an amber with a slight hint of orange.

I would appreciate any help or your thoughts!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like it's under control. I use keda dyes and just followed their instructions. Came our great. First round did a dark amber. Sanded back to bring out the bird's eyes. Second round was a light orangey amber. Finished with 15 coats of Tru oil. You're good.

Sounds like it's under control. I use keda dyes and just followed their instructions. Came our great. First round did a dark amber. Sanded back to bring out the bird's eyes. Second round was a light orangey amber. Finished with 15 coats of Tru oil. You're good.
SWEET!!

Thank you!

Thanks for the tip on Keda Dye. That is what I am going to use. : )

I wanted to share this video as well. I did a lot of searching, and I believe this is the type of finish I want on my new AAA Maple Warhead neck.

The Tung Oil is made by Sutherland Welles. I'm going for the high lustre finish on this one.

Back