Aquamarine Soloist Build

With those pots, you wire them just like a push-pull. 

Externally, you can't tell the difference.

index.php

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=29223.0;attach=43457;image

I took a chance ordering some speed loader saddles for the Floyd but they ended up being slightly too long (at least once the guitar is setup). I would only be able to raise the pitch by maybe a whole tone if I'm lucky before the saddle hits the body. I really want to keep them anyways for convenience and do with the reduced pitch range. What are some good solutions to partially stop the trem just enough before it hits the body?

31CeNTO.jpg

Wiring progress...

4rSv3RM.jpg

And done! I expected those tiny pins on the push push pot to give me more trouble than they did. Took some work, but luckily nothing catastrophic happened. The masking tape was supposed to be temporary but I think I'll just leave it :dontknow:. Everything seems to be working great except the coil split makes less of a difference in the sound than I would've thought, especially in the neck position (although it is there). Could it be at all because of poor wiring or am I just being paranoid because it's only my second time wiring a guitar :icon_scratch:?

woY5pqR.jpg

I put it all together already but I'm waiting to take some good photos to post, stay tuned :headbang:. As usual, thanks to you guys for all the great help!

exaN said:
Everything seems to be working great except the coil split makes less of a difference in the sound than I would've thought, especially in the neck position (although it is there). Could it be at all because of poor wiring or am I just being paranoid because it's only my second time wiring a guitar :icon_scratch:?

I did a repair not long ago where the customer's guitar was somewhat noisier in the bridge position than one would expect from a humbucker, and it turned out the original installer had wired the pickup as a single coil. Changed that so it was a proper humbucker, and of course the noise went away. But, while the sound was arguably better, it wasn't as dramatic a change as you might expect. Usually, unless they're wound very hot to start with, split humbuckers sound a bit wimpy relative to the humbucking mode.

So, it's not unheard of (no pun intended).

Cagey said:
exaN said:
Everything seems to be working great except the coil split makes less of a difference in the sound than I would've thought, especially in the neck position (although it is there). Could it be at all because of poor wiring or am I just being paranoid because it's only my second time wiring a guitar :icon_scratch:?

I did a repair not long ago where the customer's guitar was somewhat noisier in the bridge position than one would expect from a humbucker, and it turned out the original installer had wired the pickup as a single coil. Changed that so it was a proper humbucker, and of course the noise went away. But, while the sound was arguably better, it wasn't as dramatic a change as you might expect. Usually, unless they're wound very hot to start with, split humbuckers sound a bit wimpy relative to the humbucking mode.

So, it's not unheard of (no pun intended).

It might just be an expectation issue. I wonder if it could be because of the way I oriented the pickups? It's a pair of DiMarzio Gravity Storm that I installed with the cream coils facing outward. Was that a bad move for coil splitting? I just sent an email to DiMarzio asking about it.

I wouldn't think that would make much difference, but it'll be interesting to see what DiMarzio says.

exaN said:
I took a chance ordering some speed loader saddles for the Floyd but they ended up being slightly too long (at least once the guitar is setup). I would only be able to raise the pitch by maybe a whole tone if I'm lucky before the saddle hits the body. I really want to keep them anyways for convenience and do with the reduced pitch range. What are some good solutions to partially stop the trem just enough before it hits the body?

31CeNTO.jpg
Just swap out the speed loader screws, put them on the original saddles, I believe they are the same thread pitch... :dontknow:

The finished result:

zSnRczU.jpg

Code:
[b]Body:[/b]
-Quilt maple on black korina
-Aqua marine dye, transparent blue back, gloss
-Natural masked accent
-1 volume, 1 push push tone (coil split)
-DiMarzio Gravity Storm Bridge
-DiMarzio Gravity Storm Neck
-Schaller Floyd tremolo

[b]Neck[/b]
-Dark indian rosewood on roasted maple
-22 SS6150 frets
-Graph Tech nut
-Schaller mini locking tuners

This is the first build I assemble 100% by myself, but huge thank you to you guys for your great help and patience :). I'll create a post in the Soloist section with more photos and sound clips soon.

DangerousR6 said:
Just swap out the speed loader screws, put them on the original saddles, I believe they are the same thread pitch... :dontknow:

It was actually fine once installed. Because of the Strat neck pocket, the trem sits high enough on the body that I have more room to pull up than I'll ever use.

One small thing that I embarrassingly messed up is the jackplate and unsure how to fix :sad1:...

tvdwXS8.jpg

Are there washers under that plate? If so, pull 'em, and unless the pilot hole is too big the screw will probably draw the plate down.

Cagey said:
Are there washers under that plate? If so, pull 'em, and unless the pilot hole is too big the screw will probably draw the plate down.

Pretty sure I messed up the pilot hole somehow. I must've moved right at the end of it because the screw wiggles when fully in.

Back the plate off, drill the hole out to 1/8", glue some 1/8" dowel in it, redrill for 1/16", and the screw will pull it up. For as thick as that plate is, it doesn't seem like those little screws will bend it, but they will.

While the plate is off, you could also help it a bit by taking a couple pairs of pliers and putting a smidge more bend in it, or mount the plate in a vise and give it a few love taps with a lightweight hammer to do the same thing.

Cagey said:
Back the plate off, drill the hole out to 1/8", glue some 1/8" dowel in it, redrill for 1/16", and the screw will pull it up. For as thick as that plate is, it doesn't seem like those little screws will bend it, but they will.

While the plate is off, you could also help it a bit by taking a couple pairs of pliers and putting a smidge more bend in it, or mount the plate in a vise and give it a few love taps with a lightweight hammer to do the same thing.

I think I'll try the dowel trick :).

exaN said:
Wiring progress...

4rSv3RM.jpg

And done! I expected those tiny pins on the push push pot to give me more trouble than they did. Took some work, but luckily nothing catastrophic happened. The masking tape was supposed to be temporary but I think I'll just leave it :dontknow:. Everything seems to be working great except the coil split makes less of a difference in the sound than I would've thought, especially in the neck position (although it is there). Could it be at all because of poor wiring or am I just being paranoid because it's only my second time wiring a guitar :icon_scratch:?

woY5pqR.jpg

I put it all together already but I'm waiting to take some good photos to post, stay tuned :headbang:. As usual, thanks to you guys for all the great help!

I've used small heat shrink on those small terminal connections on the switched pots just to make them more rigid.

Back