anyone have a black korina strat?

tmpstrat9

I've seen a couple on warmoth but most are unfinished. i think i want a black korina body but i kinda just wanna see what more look like. preferably a black-red-yellow burst but anything would be cool to see. if you wanna let me know how you like them tonewise that would be greatly appreciated too.

I had my eye on this one for some time. (the one at the bottom)
I still like it...! Wished I would have pulled the trigger.

I have one I finished myself and it really sounds great. It was finished with tru-oil.  Nice and warm but still retains the character. It'll growl! I highly recommend it.

Thread --  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=100.0

thanks treble. your guitar looks killer. i really like how the oil seems to soften up the grain and give it more depth. im in a dilemma*. on my strat now it has a tremolo but i blocked it for tuning reasons plus i never use it. i was thinking about doing the same on the korina guitar ill make just to keep that same kinda sound... but im not sure, maybe a hardtail. also really wanted to try a chambered body. most likely would be a HSS or HxH config. whats everyone think? oh and it would be a maple neck w/ pau ferro board im pretty sure

this was my best sounding strat! i am convinced that the bloodwood neck had a lot to do with it though... great warm tone and looooong sustain!

korinastrat004.jpg

korinastrat004.jpg

korinastrat004.jpg

korinastrat015.jpg

this one is also great.. sounds different but also great, most likely because it is hollow:
September62009013.jpg

September62009011.jpg

September62009017.jpg

September62009019.jpg

and I helped Luke build this one... also hollow, also great tone!!
Luke5036.jpg

Luke5042.jpg

oh and finally, I love the way Tobacco burst looks on Korina.. unfortunately I don't have it on a strat, but I do have a Korina VIP with Tobacco Burst:

stratmay13th032.jpg

So basically the moral of the story is

Black Korina + Exotic neck = HELLA WIN! :icon_thumright:

Add whatever shape you want to taste :laughing7:

If the body you want has a trem route, you are stuck with it.  But, you can easily install a Tremel-no system in the guitar (it replaces one of the trem springs) and you can have it behave as if it is blocked, dive bomb only, or full trem.  Korina bodies are really addictive.  Quite pretty, sound like mahogany with a little more bite, and pretty easy to work with.  And those tobacco bursts are marvelous looking on that wood.  Add a Wenge neck and you have quite a beast to play with.  Good luck with the search.
Patrick

thanks a lot guys. your guitars look sick. seriously all of em. really like to be able to see woodgrain on the body and its nice to see something other than flame and quilted maple tops on everything(even though that strat EDIT: Marco (not gregg) said he made for luke is sweet). i really like that warhead(i think thats it) headstock on the tobacco burst one gregg. yeah im not really worried about getting stuck with a trem. if i do a build i dont think ill go showcase on the body because i havent seen exactly what i want. im just strictly thinking what would be best tonewise. otherwise identical guitars(as close as you can get) will sound different w/ trem or hardtail right? i really like my swamp ash strat now but i need a backup... or to make mine now a backup. whatever works. started thinking about korina after i played a fender mahogany player strat. just because it looks so great and its supposed to be similar to mahogany in tone w/ more mid prescence which i think ill like. i think ill put a wooden pickguard (maybe walnut) w/ some reedjames woodbuckers on it. thanks again and in advance for any feedback

Marco,

Nice looking guitars!

Where did you get the cover for the spring cavity on the back? I can't find any on Warmoth but maybe I don't know what they're called.

Thanks,

Steve

Sweet looking guitars everyone!  :headbang:

I`m awaiting my guitar that i won off ebay. Warmoth Black Korina Strat shaped body (rear routed) with a Carvin Maple/Ebony neck. As soon as i saw the amazing looking Black Korina body i knew i had to have it. Nicest looking wood for a guitar imo.  :icon_thumright:

Steve_Karl said:

Marco,

Nice looking guitars!

Where did you get the cover for the spring cavity on the back? I can't find any on Warmoth but maybe I don't know what they're called.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks!

Can't remember, but think it was Stew Mac.

RickDawg Extraordinaire said:
might be a noob question or posted elsewhere but how does the phase switching work? ive never really heard of that before about a week ago.

By reversing one of the two pickups outputs and playing with both of them on. It cancels some of the frequencies and give a soft, twangy, vintagy vibe. Might even say it gives an acoustic or piezo quality to the sound. What's really cool is when you use a pot to adjust the amount of the blend. Makes for some nice tones.

Death by Uberschall said:
RickDawg Extraordinaire said:
might be a noob question or posted elsewhere but how does the phase switching work? ive never really heard of that before about a week ago.

By reversing one of the two pickups outputs and playing with both of them on. It cancels some of the frequencies and give a soft, twangy, vintagy vibe. Might even say it gives an acoustic or piezo quality to the sound. What's really cool is when you use a pot to adjust the amount of the blend. Makes for some nice tones.

oh really?! you can blend the amount of output each is giving when both of the pups are working together? like make one louder than the other and vise versa? thats really cool. id like to try that. (if im understanding correctly) thanks

Back