Anyone else notice the "New Member" section of the Home page and wonder...

Mine is an answer to the oft-asked question "Which Aaron are you?"

Mine came about as my first internet forum membership was a forum on traditional/classical Indian music (I was wanting to learn the sitar). "Raga" in Indian music is sort of equivalent to "song" or at least "a framework for improvisation". Back in high school I grew out my hair to a shaggy Beatles cut, and my grandma called it "ragamuffin har", and I always thought it was a funny word so I used that as my username there and ended up using it across most places on the internet.

TBurst Std

My 1st good guitar was a 79 Les Paul Std in Tobacco Sunburst I bought new in 79.  Still have it. 

Left the forum for a while and came back in more recent years. First name is Pete.  :icon_scratch:

This is my gaming handle and I use it for most online items. It's the first letter of James (my given name)and the first three letters of my family name. The 007 is because I'm a bond fan and the number is easy to remember when a number is needed to create a user name  :icon_scratch:

Re-Pete said:
Left the forum for a while and came back in more recent years. First name is Pete.  :icon_scratch:

You can say that again.

Years and years ago a couple buddies and I took Irish language classes together--Seamas = James --it because my nickname ever since.

Nothing wildly exciting with mine. First initial + first 4 letters of last name.

Comes from "Groundhog Day," one of the best movies ever (and a bonding moment for my wife and me).

Used to have my go-to Internet forum name for everything and everywhere, but eventually discovered that I showed up quite prominently on every Google search for that name.  Especially since not every forum was locked from crawlers and spiders.  Piece together enough of that data -- especially since other forum members would innocently use my real name on occasion in some posts -- and there's my entire life history and activity.

Then flip that around and search on my real name, and all of that activity came up as well.  Not always a good look if interviewing for jobs, as just one example.  Learned to keep things much more locked down and vague since then.

My Initials. This was my first forum 10 years ago and I was pretty active and used my name. Then my wife asked why are you using your name? I don't know, I'm new at this. So I changed it.

i worked in an area a while back where there was a lot of radio communications.  a bunch of engineers had "call signs" we always joked that these guys had call signs like "Zeus", "Loads", "Candle" and so forth.  i had to do some radio system checks for some regression testing with several people within a 150mile radius.  on one of the radio checks i was asked to provide my call sign.  being the smartA$$ engineer i was at the time i used one of the CB handles from convoy.  Little did i know that was a heavily monitored channel.

during this rather large meeting with over 100 engineers, pilots, support people and such.  the chief engineer ask about the radio system communication checks.  he then paused and asked "who the hell is this rubberduck guy".  Being a young engineer hiding in the corner i sheepishly raised my hand and say "that would be me sir".  He proceeded to say "Well hell rubberduck you wanna tell me how those damn radio checks went or not".  My response "5 by 5 sir, 5 by 5"

that name has just stuck for 15 something years now.

Back when these internet tubes were invented (yes I am that old) I was poor but living on Maui and addicted to windsurfing. So as new websites would show up I needed a name and just put the two together and have been using it ever since even though I no longer live on Maui which makes me sad all of the time.

Back