A carved Tele that everyone is sure to hate (update page 2)

Ace Flibble

Not terribly worthy of a thread just yet, but starting one gives me an excuse to throw out a cry for help and grab some hardware opinions too

So, this turned up an hour ago

body-2.jpg

(that's all you get for now as my proper camera seems to have kicked the bucket)

'Tis darn purdy. The White Pearl finish is exactly what I'd hoped for. I've always been disappointed with regular white finishes, how due to sunlight, regular lightbulbs or just a general lack of light they always look falsely aged even if they're supposed to be pure white. The slight metallic sheen of the white pearl keeps it looking bright white no matter what. The edges in particular come off looking razor sharp.

Great weight to it as well, on the showcase it was listed at about 4.5lbs (might have been .6, whatever), pretty standard for alder I thought, but in my hands right now it feels about the same weight as my fully chambered 3.7lb Korina Thinline Tele body and significantly lighter than my alder Strat (which is somewhere in the four and a half pound region itself).

I am having one slightly major problem though: I had assumed that CTS pots would fit, since CTS fit my other Warmoths. However trying out a dry run, it seems as though the control holes are a clear 1mm too small for CTS pots. The threaded portion of the shaft isn't just a tight fit - it plain doesn't fit at all. Since I have no way of enlarging the holes myself (I'm armed with a power drill, a hammer, two screwdrivers and literally nothing else) and since I'm in the UK, making returning a pain in the arse, it looks like I'm going to have to go with Alpha pots instead. Not a massive problem but a bit of a shame and it means I'm going to have a helluva job getting these inch-fit knobs to go on right. Unless anyone has any nifty ideas how to wedge the CTS pots in there?
Also it seems as though standard short shafts won't reach through the top but long shafts end up scarily close to the cavity cover. Not sure what's going on there either.

Now for the part where I break everbody's hearts, the mock-up for this body:

purplefinal.jpg

Hardly a classic, I know. But it's completely me - I love white guitars but I also love making everything purple and black, so a white guitar with purple & black hardware is perfect. Once this one is done I plan to get cracking on another purple monster too.

Neck is going to be purpleheart with an ebony fretboard, 24.75" conversion, 12" radius with a compensated nut. Never even been in the same room as an unfinished neck before, I'm expecting good things.
Probably going to be a Standard Thin back but I might go for '59, ideally I'd have something inbetween so it's a toss-up whether I go for something a shade too flat or a shade too thick. Hint hint Warmoth: make a neck that is actually like the Fender necks!
Also undecided on the fretwire. I like the idea of steel frets but none of the sizes are quite right for me. Going to flip a coin between my safe regular 6150 or taking a risk on SS6115. Anyone got any input on how 6115 size wire feels compared to other, more common fret sizes?
Using Sperzel tuners because on my last two Warmoth necks I drilled the holes for the string retainers kind of... wonky. Accuracy is not my middle name. That said I've heard many horror stories about installing the Sperzels too, so I've got a spare set of Planet Waves on stand-by.

Pickups are going to probably be a set of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats, or possibly a Cold Sweat bridge and a Riff Raff neck. Hoping they'll be worth it whichever way I go.

I really like the body.  A carved top always looks nice.  The purple though...Not my thing, but that is what is great about Warmoth.

Wrap some coarse sandpaper around a pencil or similar and twist to widen the holes a bit.

I actually just read it now and:
Ace Flibble said:
Hint hint Warmoth: make a neck that is actually like the Fender necks!
Actually most people here like the Warmoth Standard Thin and feel it very close to the Fenders. I can't say by myself because I like fatter necks...

Using Sperzel tuners because on my last two Warmoth necks I drilled the holes for the string retainers kind of... wonky. Accuracy is not my middle name. That said I've heard many horror stories about installing the Sperzels too, so I've got a spare set of Planet Waves on stand-by.

Pickups are going to probably be a set of Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats, or possibly a Cold Sweat bridge and a Riff Raff neck. Hoping they'll be worth it whichever way I go.

If you're not accurated on instaling things, you should get a luthier to do it. I know 3 or 4 luthiers in UK, depending on where you're I can recommend you one of them.
Bare Knuckle are great pickups, just be sure to get the right one. If you're in doubt, send a message to Tim Mills, the owner and maker of the pickups, basically he is always spot on on his advice. Think I saw only once a guy saying that prefered other pickup, in like 4 years...

love it! i had a purpleheart neck for my strat with an ebony fretboard and loved that too, so i'm sure it'll be perfect for this guitar

That is pretty much what I would do. I would omit the STP and have a through body but everting else would be the same

I dig it. We'll hopefully be in the same club soon... my carve-top Tele will definitely be unorthodox...

Ace Flibble said:
I had assumed that CTS pots would fit, since CTS fit my other Warmoths. However trying out a dry run, it seems as though the control holes are a clear 1mm too small for CTS pots. The threaded portion of the shaft isn't just a tight fit - it plain doesn't fit at all. Since I have no way of enlarging the holes myself (I'm armed with a power drill, a hammer, two screwdrivers and literally nothing else) and since I'm in the UK, making returning a pain in the arse, it looks like I'm going to have to go with Alpha pots instead. Not a massive problem but a bit of a shame and it means I'm going to have a helluva job getting these inch-fit knobs to go on right. Unless anyone has any nifty ideas how to wedge the CTS pots in there?

They'll fit. There's probably too much paint in the holes. Get a rat tail file and clean them up, or just take a 3/8" twist drill bit and carefully turn it into the hole by hand.

Ace Flibble said:
Also it seems as though standard short shafts won't reach through the top but long shafts end up scarily close to the cavity cover. Not sure what's going on there either.

Buy the longer shaft pots. They'll come with two nuts. Thread one on as deep as you need it and install the pot, and lock it down from the other side over a washer with the other nut.

Ace Flibble said:
Now for the part where I break everbody's hearts, the mock-up for this body:

Yeah. That's too bad. Although, if you get a good clown suit, it could work <grin>

Ace Flibble said:
Also undecided on the fretwire. I like the idea of steel frets but none of the sizes are quite right for me. Going to flip a coin between my safe regular 6150 or taking a risk on SS6115. Anyone got any input on how 6115 size wire feels compared to other, more common fret sizes?

Warmoth has a page where they describe the fret dimensions. Regardless of the size you choose, make sure they're stainless steel. You won't be sorry, I promise you.

Ace Flibble said:

If you're that mechanically declined, you might want to invest in tuner installation jig from StewMac...

Tuner_Pin_Drill_Jig_lg.jpg

They're kinda pricey, but they'll keep you honest. Cheaper than wrecking a neck you paid X hundred dollars for. You're not going to be any better off installing Planet Waves tuners vs. Sperzels if you can't locate a hole properly, since they both need one.

You could also just draw some lines with a grease pencil to keep things lined up, and put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you don't go to deep. That's free.

Cagey said:
You could also just draw some lines with a grease pencil to keep things lined up, and put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you don't go to deep. That's free.

What works better than a grease pencil and eyeballs for alignment is a square.  One edge on the tool, the other on the headstock.

Like Mayfly did:
14359_231009422111_527102111_4257231_4185057_n.jpg

I think black hardware all the way, but ditch the purple people eater pups and knobs...If anything purple is needed, I'd say get some pup's with purpleheart bobbin's and purpleheart knobs... :dontknow:

Disco Scottie said:
Does that little thingie help you to drill the pilot hole for the Sperzels?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Tuner_installation/Tuner_Pin_Drill_Jig.html

"You can position single-pin Schaller tuners, two-pin Schallers, one-pin Sperzels, and Fender locking tuners. The jig fits into the peghole with a self-centering bushing and thumbscrew for quick and easy attachment. Instructions included.

This jig is designed for use with a No. 38 (.101") drill bit. Measure the height of the alignment pins on your tuners and drill the holes to the appropriate depth."

Disco Scottie said:
Does that little thingie help you to drill the pilot hole for the Sperzels?

Yup, among others. There's an instruction sheet (.pdf) that tells you all the various pegs it'll work with, as well as how to use it.

I must be in the minority; I love the purple pickups and knobs on the white body with black hardware!  But, I really like contrast...

Contrast is one thing; purple is something else. Even though they'd contrast, you wouldn't want blue balls, would you? <grin>

richship said:
Wrap some coarse sandpaper around a pencil or similar and twist to widen the holes a bit.
Cagey said:
They'll fit. There's probably too much paint in the holes. Get a rat tail file and clean them up, or just take a 3/8" twist drill bit and carefully turn it into the hole by hand.
Ah, the paint thing makes sense. Accurate drilling my not be my forté but I'm a demon with a set of files and some sandpaper. A bit of good old fashioned elbow grease never hurt anyone.

Warmoth has a page where they describe the fret dimensions. Regardless of the size you choose, make sure they're stainless steel. You won't be sorry, I promise you.
Mm, I've seen the sizes but Warmoth notes that they can vary slightly, wondering just how much by. Either way I have been meaning to give steel frets a go, nobody seems to regret getting them.

As for the tuners, it's more that I've heard horror stories about getting Sperzels through Warmoth headstocks, something about the Warmoth headstock being a fraction of a mm too thick or some such. If that turns out to be true then I've got the PWs as I know they'll fit, already got 'em on my other two builds.

NonsenseTele said:
Actually most people here like the Warmoth Standard Thin and feel it very close to the Fenders. I can't say by myself because I like fatter necks...
Comparing my current two Warmoth necks to my two Fenders, the Warmoth Standard Thin is definitely flatter than the Fender standard C. In fact I've got an ESP here that has almost exactly the same neck as the Warmoth Standard Thin.
I'm not saying people are wrong for liking the Standard Thin, just that it's not really like the Fender necks, at least as far as I can tell. I too am more of a fan of slightly thicker/rounder necks (Epiphone Elitist LPs and MIM Fender '72 Thinlines have the most underrated neck profiles ever, I think). Just a touch annoying that either way, the Standard Thin is that bit too flat and the '59 is that bit too thick for my tastes. Tempted to go for a Fatback and shape it myself.

If you're not accurated on instaling things, you should get a luthier to do it. I know 3 or 4 luthiers in UK, depending on where you're I can recommend you one of them.
I'm afraid I'll have to pass, I have a pretty irrational fear of handing any of my gear over to someone else. I literally don't let anybody else so much as pick up my pedals. This is why I like Warmoth, I can slap everything together myself. Granted, not to the highest standards, but I think it's a lot nicer to be able to say I put it together on my own rather than shipping parts off to some random to do it for me. Better the crap tech you know than the qualified luthier you don't? Something along those lines.

Cagey said:
Contrast is one thing; purple is something else. Even though they'd contrast, you wouldn't want blue balls, would you? <grin>
Heh, this is what I figured the reaction would be. I know most Warmoth users are into their wood grains and natural or traditional finishes (which is totally cool by the way, not something I'm against - my Warmoth Thinline is a gorgeous piece of black korina finished in tobacco burst with natural binding, very pretty). But like I said in the OP, this is completely "me". It'll be nice to finally have a guitar that I know is unique, suits me down to the ground and isn't a copy of anything.

Plus this way, I know nobody will ever bother stealing it :laughing3:

Just put in the order on the pickups - going for a BK Cold Sweat in the bridge and a Riff Raff in the neck. Waiting on the ol' paycheque to come in in a couple of days and then I'll be putting the order down for the neck, hope to have this all finished by the end of February. Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a guitar. I've had Custom Shop Gibsons and Fenders that thrilled me less than this body alone has. All power to Warmoth really, they make some stunning products.

Ace Flibble said:
richship said:
Cagey said:
Comparing my current two Warmoth necks to my two Fenders, the Warmoth Standard Thin is definitely flatter than the Fender standard C. In fact I've got an ESP here that has almost exactly the same neck as the Warmoth Standard Thin.
I'm not saying people are wrong for liking the Standard Thin, just that it's not really like the Fender necks, at least as far as I can tell. I too am more of a fan of slightly thicker/rounder necks (Epiphone Elitist LPs and MIM Fender '72 Thinlines have the most underrated neck profiles ever, I think). Just a touch annoying that either way, the Standard Thin is that bit too flat and the '59 is that bit too thick for my tastes. Tempted to go for a Fatback and shape it myself.
You could try a wizard profile with say maybe a 11/16 nut or even a 3/4... :dontknow:

Ace Flibble said:
Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a guitar. I've had Custom Shop Gibsons and Fenders that thrilled me less than this body alone has. All power to Warmoth really, they make some stunning products.

I know what you mean. I built my first Warmoth about this time last year, and was the same way. I've had a lot of guitars over the last 40 years or so, but nothing got me so geeked as I was after I took delivery of my first Warmoth body. Just a gorgeous and peerless piece of work. I've known about them since around when they first went retail, but could never see my way clear to take advantage of them. Now that I have, I can't seem to stop. I'm on my fourth one, and plotting/planning the fifth. Somebody stop me before I build again! <grin>

Back