A carved Tele that everyone is sure to hate (update page 2)

As for the tuners being tight in Warmoth's headstock holes - they're supposed to be. They're drilled out very exactly - to within 1/64th of an inch. You want the tuner to be as tight as possible without risking splitting the wood. I've found that you can usually press them in by hand to withing 1/16" to 1/8" of an inch of flush, then when you tighten down the nut on the top of the headstock it pulls the tuner up the rest of the way. For what it's worth - you may want to invest the $5 to $7 or so it would cost to get a 10mm or 7/16" nut driver (or whatever's appropriate for your tuning lug)

31rwoE9wOvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

to tighten those nuts on with. Less chance of slipping and gouging something up, and easier to get the nut as tight as need be. Deep-well sockets work, too.

The most important thing is to build "your" guitar! If you want purple, yellow and green on it so be it. Pickup covers and knobs are easily replaced if you get tired of the purple. Build what you want and enjoy it :icon_thumright:

Purple Sperzels all the way. If you're going to do it - go all the way. They fit perfectly in W neck have them in two tele "W" necks myself about ready to do a third and wouldn't use anything else.

ha! at least its in a league above pretty much every Gibson concept guitar in the last 50-60 years... :icon_jokercolor:

After some delay (I just had to buy a few new pedals, some pickups, an amp, a new speaker cab, a new talkbox... I had to, I swear), finally got the neck order in and it turned up this morning.

Not got any full pictures because I've already started drilling bits and pieces and such, though I did take thirty seconds to take two quick snaps of things I think need to be mentioned ASAP.

The first is that rather than ship in the usual Warmoth box, this neck came in a triangular box with next to no support. A single sheet of bubblewrap is all that protected it during its overseas journey. That's a little annoying, though thankfully everything seems to be perfectly in order.
What was really annoying was that Warmoth stuck some label on at the 12th fret and a layer of hardened glue is well and truly stuck to the fretboard:

gunkboo.jpg

I dunno what I can use that will strip set glue off without murdering the ebony. I've tried the usual fretboard cleaners, prep and conditioner and it's not shifted it. Considering how many type sof wood conditioners I have I think I might try just taking the ol' acetone to it, should clear the glue and whatever damage it does do I should be able to remedy. Still, I'd like to see if anyone has any other suggestions first. Don't really fancy the idea of sending it back as damaged when it's taken so long to get here and when the neck stock is so special. Speaking of, interesting picture #2...

neckfiguring.jpg

I know it's not exactly AAAAA-grade, but has anyone heard of flame purpleheart before? Phone camera shot at the window doesn't show it off amazingly, it's a little more defined in person, but anyhoo. I thought it was a more uniform colour, but there's definitely some light flame figuring there, especially when you catch it at just the right angle. It's quite charming, my first Warmoth neck (maple) had the same hint-of-flame thing going on and I love that (odd since I'm typically against heavily figured woods, more of a plain top man myself). Does make me wonder if a full, high-grade flame purpleheart or bloodwood neck would ever be possible.

Obviously I've not got it strung up and playing just yet, but I've got to say this is already the nicest feeling neck I've ever played. I doubt I'll ever be able to use a finished neck again after this.

Should have it all bolted together, wire and strung up within the next couple of days. I'm just waiting on some pickups now. While I've been waiting for the neck I gave the Bare Knuckles a go on one of my other Teles which has very similar specs (it being the usual flattop and having a maple neck stock vs purpleheart being the only noticable differences) and the tone was so, so far away from what I want with this guitar that I doubt the small difference between the two will make up for 'em. Had a good classic rock tone but didn't really sound good enough at the two extremes for my taste. So they're in the parts drawer, probably going to do a magnet swap on 'em, put some covers on and stick those into one of my many Les Pauls. Not bad pickups, but just not what I was expecting nor anywhere even remotely close to what I was after for this.
Instead, I'm taking a gamble on some DiMarzios. I've never liked DiMarzio pickups before but everyone and their mother has been telling me that a PAF Pro in the neck and an Evo 2 in the bridge is exactly what I want and it can't hurt to try. Considering the Evo 2 is very close to the Evo 7 and I use the Evo 7 in one of my 7-strings, I at leats feel fairly confident there, if not so much the neck PAF Pro. Worst comes ot the worst I can do some interesting coil mixing and magnet swapping with the Bare Knuckles.

I think I perhaps need to start learning some Poison or Twisted Sister songs to christen this guitar with...

Naptha (lighter fluid) is pretty effective at cleaning that stuff up, as is mineral spirits. Neither will hurt the ebony. That takes a chainsaw or a hand grenade.

Just since you mentioned it, the triangle shipping boxes suck. Yes, I realize they're sturdier geometrically and more economical, but they're just not the same.

CrackedPepper said:
Death by Uberschall said:
All black hardware and pups, and you're done.  :headbang1:

All black hardware and EMG pups, and you're done.  :headbang1:
Ah yes, that'd make a nice change from my seven guitars with EMG pickups :laughing7:

Because EMG don't make purple covers ;)

Right, problem here, folks. Got everything drilled and fitted, only thing left to do was bolt the neck on and string up... and the damn thing won't go on.
Two problems:
1) One of the short screws and one of the longer ones (front/bass side short and rear/treble side long) will be digging in about 0.4mm into the bottom of the fretboard if they're screwed in all the way... that surely can't be right? I measured them up and the screws definitely will end up digging into the bottom of the ebony. However, before I get to that point I have to contend with...
2) The damn screws keep binding within the first few mm of the neck wood. It's as if the neck screw holes have been drilled about a millimetre and a half too small. Again, anyone else had this before?

My last two Warmoth necks and bodies went together perfectly, but this neck won't go on unless I either force something - clearly a bad idea and from the looks of it would write the neck off - or find some neck bolts that are both shorter and thinner. Either way it's clear that Warmoth's screws won't fit.

Ideas? I don't want to believe I'm the only person who's run into these problems but at the same time my last two Warmoths practically built themselves, makes me think something's gone wrong with the neck here.

Does yours have a countour heel? I noticed on my build that the combination of a carved top, TOM-type bridge, and countour heel makes the heel pretty thin. I'm just going to use a hacksaw to cut the screws to the length needed.

For the screws that are binding, have you tried screwing them to the neck a bit without the body? If that is OK, you may have an alignment issue. If they are just too small (possible I guess), it shouldn't be that hard to widen them with the proper bit. Just make sure to use a stop so it won't go deeper. Also, dropping a small bit in the hole is a good way to measure the depth.

Hadn't tried checking them with just the neck itself, guess I'll give that a go now.

But yeah, contoured heel and I did think when I got it, it's pretty slim. It was hard to even work out where the long and short screws needed to go because the front/bass and rear/treble holes are damn near the same thickness. It looks like 3 short screws and 1 long one would be a much better idea, though I'm not terirly keen on ordering another set of contoured heel screws given it'll take them 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Once you figure out the lengths you want each screw, a hardware store should have screws that will work. Just bring in the ones from Warmoth to match the size and head shape.

In the end I just shouted various expletives and cut the two long screws down a touch shorter than the short screws. So now the short ones are where the long ones should be and the long ones are cut ultra-short and are where the short ones should be. It's an hour and twenty minute drive to the nearest big hardware store or 25 seconds with a hacksaw. Hacksaw wins it.

All finished now. Between pots not fitting, the channels for wire not being big enough to handle the back-and-forth LP wiring, the control cavity being too small to reasonably operate inside of, the problems with the neck pocket and heel, I thought I'd never get it done.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16048.0

Purple Haters!  :laughing7:
Lovely looking guitar in the making and in the finished one  :icon_thumright:

Back